Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by paulry
Thanks for that, will take a look.

Did you get to watch Orphan Black? Season two begins next month:

http://screenrant.com/orphan-black-s...ere-date-2014/
Might try and give it a go but there is too much to watch

Just about to get back into True Detective and to start Line of Duty which stars one of my favourite actresses, Keeley Hawes
Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, Netflix is the dogs bollocks

However, NowTV is an entirely different matter

I don't get much trouble with iPlayer.
Is NowTV any good?

I have a NowTV box that someone brought me from the UK last week - at GBP10, a bargain. I'm yet to set it up
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:27 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Is NowTV any good?

I have a NowTV box that someone brought me from the UK last week - at GBP10, a bargain. I'm yet to set it up
It seemed to start off well but then decended into endless buffering which rendered it unwatchable. The live Sky TV streaming works okay but that has lower resolution and worse: adverts. You might get less trouble with it because you have a faster connection than me - if I remember correctly. Pls let me know how you get on.

I've unsubscribed from the service but would resubscribe in a flash if the buffering problem could be managed because they have a fairly good offering. They're going to have to take a leaf from Netflix's book if the want to globally increase their subscriber base.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

I must start watching that, lots of people have recommended it. Why shouldn't I watch it with my sons?
Kevin Spacey and his on screen wife, Robin Wright play excellent parts. They both do it well, KS is one cool dude in it.
I am just about in the middle of the second series and I think it's even better than the first, there are a few scenes of a sexual nature that I wouldn't feel comfortable watching with my lads, but I suppose yours are older...
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:35 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Kevin Spacey and his on screen wife, Robin Wright play excellent parts. They both do it well, KS is one cool dude in it.
I am just about in the middle of the second series and I think it's even better than the first, there are a few scenes of a sexual nature that I wouldn't feel comfortable watching with my lads, but I suppose yours are older...
I'll cover their eyes
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

I'll cover their eyes

I think you'll find you might need to cover their ears first!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:53 pm
Banned

I think you'll find you might need to cover their ears first!
Ah, now that is an area I have more trouble with. I can only take exposing my kids to so much bad language before I become like my dad and say "right, that's enough of that" and switch the telly off. My bad language fuse is a lot longer than my dads though. His pain threshold is as few as 2 infringements in quick succession before he flicks the switch whereas I can cope with at least 3 or 4

Do you only watch the programme after yours have gone to bed?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah, now that is an area I have more trouble with. I can only take exposing my kids to so much bad language before I become like my dad and say "right, that's enough of that" and switch the telly off. My bad language fuse is a lot longer than my dads though. His pain threshold is as few as 2 infringements in quick succession before he flicks the switch whereas I can cope with at least 3 or 4

Do you only watch the programme after yours have gone to bed?

Bad language, I don't have 'too' much problem with, I think we have a lot more to worry about as parents nowadays. The C word isn't pleasant by no means, but I can handle 'shit'. 'bastard' and '**** off' just! They are going to hear it at some point and most likely at school. As long as I don't catch them saying it, eldest has said shit a few times in front of me, but without realising, then tried to back track pretending he said something else...

The things I have a problem with my children watching is any kind of violent sex scene or rape scene or S&M scene, dodgy sexual scenes.
I'm just not comfortable with it and I don't want them growing up thinking that kind of behaviour is acceptable. There is a short S&M scene in House of Cards, second series but it's a short glimpse, they may be more further along but I haven't got to that yet.

My parents were strict too, where swearing was concerned, not that it's done me any good.

My lads don't watch much TV, they just aren't really that interested, they would rather play out with their mates, in winter they watched a few films on Netflix, and the good thing about Netflix is you can see what has been watched. There was an incident where a ' dodgy' film had been watched but both of my lads blamed it in each other, like they do.

I don't watch TV until late on, when I'm in bed, with my ipad and head phones.

Husbands in London during the week and he does the same.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:41 am
Banned

Bad language, I don't have 'too' much problem with, I think we have a lot more to worry about as parents nowadays. The C word isn't pleasant by no means, but I can handle 'shit'. 'bastard' and '**** off' just! They are going to hear it at some point and most likely at school. As long as I don't catch them saying it, eldest has said shit a few times in front of me, but without realising, then tried to back track pretending he said something else...

The things I have a problem with my children watching is any kind of violent sex scene or rape scene or S&M scene, dodgy sexual scenes.
I'm just not comfortable with it and I don't want them growing up thinking that kind of behaviour is acceptable. There is a short S&M scene in House of Cards, second series but it's a short glimpse, they may be more further along but I haven't got to that yet.

My parents were strict too, where swearing was concerned, not that it's done me any good.

My lads don't watch much TV, they just aren't really that interested, they would rather play out with their mates, in winter they watched a few films on Netflix, and the good thing about Netflix is you can see what has been watched. There was an incident where a ' dodgy' film had been watched but both of my lads blamed it in each other, like they do.

I don't watch TV until late on, when I'm in bed, with my ipad and head phones.

Husbands in London during the week and he does the same.
I'm not wildly anti bad language, after all the real world is full of it. At home I occasionally hear my lads swearing at each other in hushed tones (they must think my wife and I are deaf ) and even I am not above swearing if something really annoys me but I object to the TV spewing forth long dialogues of the very worst grade into my home. Likewise, if someone entered my home swearing wildly they would get booted out in very short order. The same thing with TV programmes and movies portraying graphically shocking scenes of brutality. I don't want it in my home.

I do have a weakness for Walking Dead though but it's so grim and sad that it often leaves me wondering why I bother watching it. Especially after episodes like the most recent one.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not wildly anti bad language, after all the real world is full of it. At home I occasionally hear my lads swearing at each other in hushed tones (they must think my wife and I are deaf ) and even I am not above swearing if something really annoys me but I object to the TV spewing forth long dialogues of the very worst grade into my home. Likewise, if someone entered my home swearing wildly they would get booted out in very short order. The same thing with TV programmes and movies portraying graphically shocking scenes of brutality. I don't want it in my home.

I do have a weakness for Walking Dead though but it's so grim and sad that it often leaves me wondering why I bother watching it. Especially after episodes like the most recent one.

Yep I completely agree about your house rules.

As for walking dead, well, errr. , erm it's funny how you can go off people isn't it?

Seriously though, why do men watch that shit? Lol
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:43 pm
Banned

Yep I completely agree about your house rules.

As for walking dead, well, errr. , erm it's funny how you can go off people isn't it?

Seriously though, why do men watch that shit? Lol
You mean you don't watch it?

I know quite a few women who watch it, some very unexpected ones too.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:29 pm
Banned

This looks good:

Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

You mean you don't watch it?

I know quite a few women who watch it, some very unexpected ones too.

I'd rather watch paint dry!

Well each to their own, it takes all kinds I guess.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah it does look good, ever so slightly cheesy maybe, but still good.

It has a Hunger Games kind of feel to it. I enjoyed The Hunger Games.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:47 pm
Banned

Yeah it does look good, ever so slightly cheesy maybe, but still good.

It has a Hunger Games kind of feel to it. I enjoyed The Hunger Games.
I've watched the first episode just now and its hmmmm.

I wish if they'd bring back Stargate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.