Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Dec 9th 2013, 10:02 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by renth
MOX is another good channel, if you like weird music.
that is weird music!

What's your favourite lineup of channels on the Roku? It's early days for me yet but I like the different presentation style on Netflix. The 60 mins and 48 hours channels are pretty good. Spoilt for choice really.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 10:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
that is weird music!

What's your favourite lineup of channels on the Roku? It's early days for me yet but I like the different presentation style on Netflix. The 60 mins and 48 hours channels are pretty good. Spoilt for choice really.
Sounds good. Can't wait to get my 2

Some questions (for Renth too):
Can you change the DNS settings on it or did you do it on your router?
What's your internet speed like? Mine is usually 15-18Mbps
Are you using it on WiFi or Ethernet?
Have you experienced any buffering/connection issues?
Does iplayer work okay?
Old Dec 9th 2013, 1:51 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Does iplayer work okay?
My DNS settings are through the router
7mbps (I know - it's crap)
wifi
none
I havent got iplayer (which is strange). Can't get ITV either.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 8:35 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Does iplayer work okay?
I have my Roku connected to a secondary Netgear wireless router which I use to extend the wireless to the front of my house. This router has the unblock-us DNS info on it. My main router does not.

I can't say what my internet speed is, every different speed test I do produces a different result, which one do you use?

My Roku and WDTV are both connected with ethernet.

Very occasional buffering with Netflix, Hulu but iPlayer on the WDTV is shit, unusable. I've gone back to downloading with Get iPlayer automator. I think it's iPlayer not my connection because Netflix is almost perfect, hi def 90% of the time yet iPlayer is constant errors and buffering.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 10:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have my Roku connected to a secondary Netgear wireless router which I use to extend the wireless to the front of my house. This router has the unblock-us DNS info on it. My main router does not.

I can't say what my internet speed is, every different speed test I do produces a different result, which one do you use?

My Roku and WDTV are both connected with ethernet.

Very occasional buffering with Netflix, Hulu but iPlayer on the WDTV is shit, unusable. I've gone back to downloading with Get iPlayer automator. I think it's iPlayer not my connection because Netflix is almost perfect, hi def 90% of the time yet iPlayer is constant errors and buffering.
I sometimes get the same issues with iplayer on the PC - my internet connection is more than adequate (according to the BBC requirements) yet it sometimes buffers, yet all others services are fine

Netflix and iview on the WDTV never buffer

The best way to check your internet speed is the ookla speedtest site or to look for it in your router settings. The speed test page on the BBC website is useless. I use a Netgear D6300 router/modem and it reports similar speeds to the ookla test
Old Dec 10th 2013, 1:04 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes get the same issues with iplayer on the PC - my internet connection is more than adequate (according to the BBC requirements) yet it sometimes buffers, yet all others services are fine

Netflix and iview on the WDTV never buffer

The best way to check your internet speed is the ookla speedtest site or to look for it in your router settings. The speed test page on the BBC website is useless. I use a Netgear D6300 router/modem and it reports similar speeds to the ookla test
I'll have a look when I get home. I think it's acknowledged that iPlayer is shit, which is a shame as there are so many good shows on BBC. Could be just due to sheer demand. I'd definitely pay for it if it were the same sort of price as Netflix/Hulu and didn't buffer.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:22 am
Banned

We don't have iPlayer, ITV, channel 4, etc on the Roku but on the PC attached to my TV we do. The iPlayer runs well without problems. ITV and channel 4 vary a lot QoS wise. Netflix on both the Roku and the PC hardly skips a beat.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:06 am
(It's not my real name)

that is weird music!

Q3030 is good too, Huffington Post TV, Spotify,
Old Dec 13th 2013, 12:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Right, setting up the UK Roku 3 which arrived the other day:

The UK version has different firmware to the US one

I've tried to set it up with just the DNS settings changed on my router but it was no go. When you first install, it looks at your network and if it doesn't find UK settings, it won't install UK apps like iplayer, 4oD etc. I'll need to get my WiFi or Ethernet out of the router on a UK VPN to set it up. I've done this before but it's a pain. Once it's set up it should be okay on changed DNS only

The US version uses different firmware that allows you to set it up via DNS only. Mine arrived today

I'm going to be in the UK early next year and may get one of these:
https://shop.nowtv.com/

GBP10 including an HDMI cable! You can use it for all the UK catch-up services and don't need a Sky subscription, but there are various passes that you can buy for Sky Sports, movies etc. People in Australia have set them up here:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2034662

If I'm in a good mood, I may take orders from BE members who are interested in this kind of thing, so be nice to me
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:44 am
Banned

Q3030 is good too, Huffington Post TV, Spotify,
Thanks. I can't get Huffington Post TV but will try the other two.

Right, setting up the UK Roku 3 which arrived the other day:

The UK version has different firmware to the US one

I've tried to set it up with just the DNS settings changed on my router but it was no go. When you first install, it looks at your network and if it doesn't find UK settings, it won't install UK apps like iplayer, 4oD etc. I'll need to get my WiFi or Ethernet out of the router on a UK VPN to set it up. I've done this before but it's a pain. Once it's set up it should be okay on changed DNS only

The US version uses different firmware that allows you to set it up via DNS only. Mine arrived today

I'm going to be in the UK early next year and may get one of these:
https://shop.nowtv.com/

GBP10 including an HDMI cable! You can use it for all the UK catch-up services and don't need a Sky subscription, but there are various passes that you can buy for Sky Sports, movies etc. People in Australia have set them up here:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2034662

If I'm in a good mood, I may take orders from BE members who are interested in this kind of thing, so be nice to me
This looks good - all for a tenner! I'll ask one of my relatives to send one. Thanks for the tip
Old Dec 14th 2013, 3:12 pm
Banned

The nowTV deal looks great, it enables us to access Sky 1 and all those kinds of channels for just a fiver a month. Ordered!

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ainment-bundle
Old Dec 14th 2013, 8:12 pm
(It's not my real name)

The nowTV deal looks great, it enables us to access Sky 1 and all those kinds of channels for just a fiver a month. Ordered!

Just noticed the NowTV box is actually a rebadged white Roku!
Old Dec 14th 2013, 10:51 pm
Banned

I thought it looked familiar
Old Dec 16th 2013, 7:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

It's a Roku LT

720p only though
Old Dec 16th 2013, 7:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Where did you order it from?

GBP25 with 3 months Sky movies:
http://www.tesco.com/direct/now-tv-b...skuId=758-7109

GBP15 with a Sky Sports pass:
http://www.tesco.com/direct/now-tv-b...skuId=300-0594

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.