Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Nov 20th 2013, 2:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Streaming video - my experience

I've recently spent a bit of time getting set up for this. I've built an HTPC and have been experimenting with different services and options

I have found that with Win7, Firefox is the best browser to use. On Win8.1, IE11 is the way and that this will be the best combination going forward as Netflix are working with Microsoft to improve streaming. I have an adequate ADSL2+ service but have experienced some buffering issues. The combinations I've mentioned have addressed these issues

I don't use a VPN but a DNS service - currently smartyDNS on a 6 month free trial. After that it's about $45 a year

BBC iplayer - great setup. It has the ability to download shows and to also watch in HD. The BBC is still the best for quality TV but they also show a lot of crap too
4oD (Channel 4) - also good but have to watch ads before and during shows - viewing crappy ads for shit you can't buy is boring but then their service is only directed at UK viewers
Channel 5 - only about 10-20% of what they broadcast is watchable, the rest is crud
ITV - same as Channel 5
Netflix - on a free trial and it's great
Hulu - same as Netflix. Both are very cheap when not on a freebie
HBO go - how can I get this? It really does look great

I've not yet managed to set up iplayer or hulu on my WDTV. I will probably get a Roku 3 for the bedroom

I would say that UK TV is still the best in the world - just. Some great stuff but also so much rubbish - an obsession with reality TV and consumer affairs programmes. America is now making more of what I want to watch and the UK less. I'm now set up with what I want to see. We never watch 7, 9 and 10 - ABC only, usually iview. We go for specific content and the thought of just sitting down and watching what's on is now alien to me

Last edited by Amazulu; Nov 20th 2013 at 2:46 am.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Roku 3 shits on WDTV for Netflix and Hulu.

When you get your Roku there are some other good channels too. I like NowhereTV because I like to watch Sky News from the UK and you don't need a Sky/Foxtel subscription to do it!

I've found iPlayer on the WDTV to be a bit hit and miss to be honest, when it's working it's excellent but there can be buffering or random errors.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Roku 3 shits on WDTV for Netflix and Hulu.

When you get your Roku there are some other good channels too. I like NowhereTV because I like to watch Sky News from the UK and you don't need a Sky/Foxtel subscription to do it!

I've found iPlayer on the WDTV to be a bit hit and miss to be honest, when it's working it's excellent but there can be buffering or random errors.
Have you setup iplayer on the Roku?

What's the deal with getting HBO go?
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Have you setup iplayer on the Roku?

What's the deal with getting HBO go?
No, my Roku is set up for the US. Maybe I should get another UK one for iPlayer?

I've heard it's virtually impossible to get an HBO account without an existing US cable account. HBO stuff gets torrented in my house.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

No, my Roku is set up for the US. Maybe I should get another UK one for iPlayer?
under GBP98 delivered from amazon.co.uk - cheaper than the UK delivered price of GBP100

AUD115 delivered from amazon.co.uk
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 11:50 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the Roku, unless I've missed something, it doesn't look that it offers much more than a convenient TV interface and a remote control. Viewers still need to pay for the subscriptions, etc. I like the fact that it's possible to plug headphones into the remote control but even with that there are alternatives.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 12:13 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by paulry
Looking at the Roku, unless I've missed something, it doesn't look that it offers much more than a convenient TV interface and a remote control. Viewers still need to pay for the subscriptions, etc. I like the fact that it's possible to plug headphones into the remote control but even with that there are alternatives.
There's quite a few free channels but the ones I use most are Netflix and Hulu which you do need a subscription for.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 12:27 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

There's quite a few free channels but the ones I use most are Netflix and Hulu which you do need a subscription for.
I subscribe to Netflix but currently access it through my browser. You mentioned earlier that you can watch Sky News on it too. Is that the fully live and quality feed or the rolling five minute highlights?
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 7:30 am
Banned

under GBP98 delivered from amazon.co.uk - cheaper than the UK delivered price of GBP100

AUD115 delivered from amazon.co.uk
Did my own research and ordered one, it's cost just shy of 98 squid - including delivery.

That's "the present to the family" sorted
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 11:09 am
(It's not my real name)

I subscribe to Netflix but currently access it through my browser. You mentioned earlier that you can watch Sky News on it too. Is that the fully live and quality feed or the rolling five minute highlights?
Not sure, it seems to be on a loop of about 30 mins.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 7:12 pm
Banned

Not sure, it seems to be on a loop of about 30 mins.
Thanks, by the looks of it that is the main Sky News transmission then. Looking forward to trying the box out. Half the fun is playing around with setting it up.

This is what I found on the unblock.us site. It seems that the Roku can only be set up for one country's channel list or another. Looks like to receive the offerings from both the UK and the US, you'll need two set top boxes and a Roku account in each country. Not sure if it's worth it, tbh.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Thanks, by the looks of it that is the main Sky News transmission then. Looking forward to trying the box out. Half the fun is playing around with setting it up.

This is what I found on the unblock.us site. It seems that the Roku can only be set up for one country's channel list or another. Looks like to receive the offerings from both the UK and the US, you'll need two set top boxes and a Roku account in each country. Not sure if it's worth it, tbh.
Just get another Roku from amazon.com - under $110 delivered

2 Roku
2 accounts - 1 US, 1 UK
Everything that you could possibly want to watch

Easy peasy
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Just get another Roku from amazon.com - under $110 delivered

2 Roku
2 accounts - 1 US, 1 UK
Everything that you could possibly want to watch

Easy peasy
How the eff do you blokes get all the time to do (and research) this stuff?
(And contribute to BE as well!)
Old Nov 27th 2013, 11:24 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
How the eff do you blokes get all the time to do (and research) this stuff?
(And contribute to BE as well!)
I just love watching telly!
Old Nov 28th 2013, 12:57 am
Banned

I spend about half my life in front of one or more screens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.