Space Space Baby

Old Jul 6th 2017, 2:21 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Space Space Baby

Well, SpaceX finally got Intelsat 35e up this morning, on the third attempt. That makes three launches in under 2 weeks. They now take about a month off, during which time it's thought that pad work will go on, then another 3 in about 2 weeks; probably. Currently there are planned for another 15 launches this year, with 10 already done. That would make 25, or more than two a month.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think I'll ever tire of watching this company send spaceships up. Or better still, landing them. Amazing achievements.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:33 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Don't think I'll ever tire of watching this company send spaceships up. Or better still, landing them. Amazing achievements.
Looking forward to Falcon Heavy going up later this year. Not sure if they will attempt to land all three boosters on the first demo attempt, but I wouldn't be at all surprised. Three boosters returning to launch site to attempt to land - that'll be something.

They are even talking about attempting to land the second stage as well with that flight. Oh, and they are still working on fairing recovery using guided parachutes. Put all that together and basically nothing is one shot.

After than ITS is currently scheduled for 2024, and it's huge

Imagine seeing a Saturn 5, but landing back on the pad.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Oh, and in tenuously connected news, South Australia have just signed up Tesla to deliver the 100MW battery the promised was "100 days, or it's free".

South Australia to announce Tesla as backer of world's largest battery
Old Jul 7th 2017, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

And SpaceX will probably make the three boosters do a little dance, some sign writing and flash their arse on the way down too.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 3:25 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

And SpaceX will probably make the three boosters do a little dance, some sign writing and flash their arse on the way down too.
Well, at least two of those boosters will detach at the same time, and will land in roughly the same place, therefore they will do something of a sychronised dance as they head back for the final suicide burn.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 12:56 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Images from Juno's low pass over the GRS have begun to come in.

Hopefully might provide more information on just what's going on, and why the GRS has decreased in size by a third over recent decades.

Old Jul 13th 2017, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GarryP
Images from Juno's low pass over the GRS have begun to come in.
[Right click] [save as wallpaper]

Or something like that anyway.

Wow.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 9:42 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Nobody said landing vertically was easy

And tomorrow, in about 1 day from now, Cassini ends its mission at Saturn by flying into Saturn's atmosphere.

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/...sion-timeline/

At about 9:54pm tomorrow evening AEST the last of the data stream will be received and signal lost.

Old Sep 15th 2017, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

GarryP - you might enjoy this: https://www.coursera.org/learn/solar-system

Free course. I completed it recently - very challenging (for me anyway - keen interest but no science education). Excellent professor, extremely interesting. 10 weeks of spacetastic geekiness.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 4:19 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Free course. I completed it recently - very challenging (for me anyway - keen interest but no science education). Excellent professor, extremely interesting. 10 weeks of spacetastic geekiness.
Hmm, looks like it's a paid course, and my previous physics units on cosmology and astrophysics probably went further.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 4:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ooo. I might have a go at this then.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GarryP
Hmm, looks like it's a paid course, and my previous physics units on cosmology and astrophysics probably went further.
Definitely free. You only have to pay if you want a certificate at the end. Take a look at the syllabus, I'd be interested to see what you think. If you have any tips of any other online courses that might follow on/compliment what I've just done that'd be great.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
Ooo. I might have a go at this then.
DO. Nothing to lose. There are quizzes & tests at the end of each week to test your knowledge. You don't have to do them, you can just watch the lectures. The prof who does it is superb, communicates all the info really clearly. You only need to do the quizzes & final test if you want a crack at getting the certificate at the end.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 4:43 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Definitely free. You only have to pay if you want a certificate at the end. Take a look at the syllabus, I'd be interested to see what you think. If you have any tips of any other online courses that might follow on/compliment what I've just done that'd be great.
It's not bad, covers quite a lot, including newer stuff. Misses out on diamond rain though it looks (people tend to get interested in that).

I've always thought that if you are do solar system, one of the ways of making it practical is to get used to processing real probe data, finding the answers in the same way it's really done, learning the techniques. There's so much data that you can potential find new stuff even. I remember processing Europa data, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.