Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Soldier hacked to death in London

Soldier hacked to death in London

Old May 23rd 2013, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soldier hacked to death in London

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
It's quite possible - and I say this with no pleasure at all - that the killers wanted to show the British public the kind of violence that British soldiers are doing to innocents in other parts of the world. It was a vicious and savage crime, but (in the killers' minds) perhaps no more vicious and savage than crimes committed by NATO military forces in the home towns of the killers' families. Of course we can't get into the killers' minds, but it's certainly possible that my guess is on the money.
I think they said this. "Sorry to do this in front of your women, but our women see this".

I'd wager though that allied forces do not behead or mutilate...well..I don't think so! They have bombed and shot....!
but aimed to the guilty parties...
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I agree that the modus operandi showed men making a point but I disagree with other points - these are not just thugs they are terrorists! They carried out a mission just like soldiers only their cause was different. They are not stupid, just focused to their cause.
Nope, they are thugs.

Terrorism is about using violence (and specifically terror) to bring about a political act. That means its consciously part of a bigger plan. Most of the time this is extremely poorly thought out (terrorism very rarely affects political change), and in this circumstance all it can do is weaken their position. It's not thought out.

It's rather about the violence, about 'striking back', about these powerless and ineffectual individuals lashing out under the pretext of 'terrorism', but in reality because they are small boys wishing they were big men.

It's quite possible - and I say this with no pleasure at all - that the killers wanted to show the British public the kind of violence that British soldiers are doing to innocents in other parts of the world. It was a vicious and savage crime, but (in the killers' minds) perhaps no more vicious and savage than crimes committed by NATO military forces in the home towns of the killers' families. Of course we can't get into the killers' minds, but it's certainly possible that my guess is on the money.
Oh very possibly that was what was consciously bouncing around their vacuous heads - lashing out. However their thought level is immature, and subconsciously its about their personal lack of power/position/respect.

If there were a mastermind behind islamic terrorism, they would be shaking their heads at the counter-productive nature of this thuggery. It owe more to football hooliganism than the battlefield.
Old May 23rd 2013, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps no more vicious and savage than crimes committed by NATO military forces in the home towns of the killers' families.
I read that they were have Nigerian backgrounds. Just what I read. If they are of Nigerian background I'm not too up to speed about NATO's presence in Nigeria.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

He seemed far more British than Nigerian, the scary thing is that now the puppet masters in charge are turning young british men into killers for their cause. There will eventually be an equally extremist reaction to this kind of act and the government won't have seen it coming even though Enoch told em years ago..
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:10 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Shocking incident, but I'm more likely to get killed by lightning than a terrorist, I hardly consider either as serious.

Manipluating someones death to try and force more monitoring and laws on us.
I disagree with the above. This was an extremely serious incident that has gained instant media coverage all over the world.

If there are other individuals out there, who are currently considering similar terrorist attacks with the aim of gaining such publicity.... does this shocking incident provide them with added motivation to go out and commit acts of terror? I could well be wrong.. but I believe that it does.

If another terrorist incident of this nature occurs on UK soil, I reckon that plans will be drawn up to arm all British police officers with hand guns.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I disagree with the above. This was an extremely serious incident that has gained instant media coverage all over the world.

If there are other individuals out there, who are currently considering similar terrorist attacks with the aim of gaining such publicity.... does this shocking incident provide them with added motivation to go out and commit acts of terror? I could well be wrong.. but I believe that it does.

If another terrorist incident of this nature occurs on UK soil, I reckon that plans will be drawn up to arm all British police officers with hand guns.
hmm..I agree. This one is particularly heinous.

Originally Posted by GarryP
Nope, they are thugs.

Terrorism is about using violence (and specifically terror) to bring about a political act. That means its consciously part of a bigger plan. Most of the time this is extremely poorly thought out (terrorism very rarely affects political change), and in this circumstance all it can do is weaken their position. It's not thought out.

It's rather about the violence, about 'striking back', about these powerless and ineffectual individuals lashing out under the pretext of 'terrorism', but in reality because they are small boys wishing they were big men.

Oh very possibly that was what was consciously bouncing around their vacuous heads - lashing out. However their thought level is immature, and subconsciously its about their personal lack of power/position/respect.

If there were a mastermind behind islamic terrorism, they would be shaking their heads at the counter-productive nature of this thuggery. It owe more to football hooliganism than the battlefield.
OK, I don't think you can compare these individuals with football hooliganism.
These blokes probably politicised themselves and acted. They said as much. When questioned they will probably have been motivated by groups. Just because they are not part of a bigger plan does not make it different - if anything it is worse because we are seeing a series of small attacks by individuals acting alone which is precisely the fear the British police have. There is no 'head'.

The age we live in is allowing individuals to copy the 'big boys' with as much tragedy. Even IRA terroists did not hack people to death in London and stand around! Terroism can be thuggish behaviour - but - if asked they might see it as just a war..
the cycle continues.
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Small amount of concern in South London as to whether the EDL will become puppets of what these looneys set out to acheive..... division and fear. We'll know in the next 48 hours.

Hopefully not as the EDL are small in number and reprisals would have happened already.
EDL have already held a demonstration, and two mosques have been attacked.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/woolwich-ed...5.html#agl8e1D
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:20 am
Just Joined

downunder2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is such sad news! My thoughts are with the soldiers family and friends
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:28 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
He seemed far more British than Nigerian.
If a man be born in a stable, that does not make him a horse

Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington

Last edited by Ballys; May 23rd 2013 at 6:34 am. Reason: Quote
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:56 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ballys
If a man be born in a stable, that does not make him a horse

Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
Bernard Manning used to quote that too!
Old May 23rd 2013, 7:12 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
Bernard Manning used to quote that too!
Manning and Wellington, now there's a double act.
Old May 23rd 2013, 7:50 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
OK, I don't think you can compare these individuals with football hooliganism. These blokes probably politicised themselves and acted. They said as much. When questioned they will probably have been motivated by groups. Just because they are not part of a bigger plan does not make it different
Yes it does, really.

The differentiation of terrorism (or asymmetric warfare as it would tend to be viewed) and simply thuggery is the aim, the context, for the acts. They can claim a political purpose, but when it doesn't form part of a plan, then its not terrorism. This will be counterproductive for any islamist aim, it will actively hurt the muslim community.
Old May 23rd 2013, 8:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
This will be counterproductive for any islamist aim, it will actively hurt the muslim community.
You can imagine all the vast majority if British Muslims must be cringeing after this horrific attack.
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:00 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
You can imagine all the vast majority if British Muslims must be cringeing after this horrific attack.
Why would they be doing that?
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I see your jihad and raise you a crusade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.