Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So who's on the NBN?

View Poll Results: Which tech do you have ?
FTTP - Fibre baby, the good stuff
28.00%
HFC - it's fibre, but ...
4.00%
FTTN - the Trunbull special
8.00%
FTTC - better than FTTN
4.00%
Mobile Broadband - feel the money burn
8.00%
ADSL, still
48.00%
I'm a luddite.
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

So who's on the NBN?

Old Apr 20th 2018, 9:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So who's on the NBN?

Originally Posted by GarryP
So hang on, first you are AGAINST sane infrastructure build, then you are FOR it? Make up your mind!

You will remember that the reason the labor government did it was because the commercial world wouldn't/couldn't. Total failure of vision on the part of the likes of Telstra (pretty much their mantra) which would have us still on ADSL if they had had their way.

Do it once, do it right, don't have to fix it up three times over.

And as for financial management ...

I'll remind you that Trunbull said "faster, cheaper" and that Telstra would hand over their copper network for free. None of which have happened. Tens of billions on LNP failure. The man has been cockup personified ....

Seriously, the LNP pretty obviously couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery. They paid billions for something that wasn't needed, didn't work properly, and now is taking billions more to fix up. And even when ended, the rework is going to have to start immediately.
Fact:
K Rudd's initial plan was unfunded

It was a popular and populist idea that was not thought through or planned properly - another Rudd thought bubble. Just like his mining tax
Old Apr 20th 2018, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

So hang on, first you are AGAINST sane infrastructure build, then you are FOR it? Make up your mind!

You will remember that the reason the labor government did it was because the commercial world wouldn't/couldn't. Total failure of vision on the part of the likes of Telstra (pretty much their mantra) which would have us still on ADSL if they had had their way.

And as for financial management ...

I'll remind you that Trunbull said "faster, cheaper" and that Telstra would hand over their copper network for free. None of which have happened. Tens of billions on LNP failure. The man has been cockup personified ....

Seriously, the LNP pretty obviously couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery. They paid billions for something that wasn't needed, didn't work properly, and now is taking billions more to fix up. And even when ended, the rework is going to have to start immediately.
You know very well that to do anything other than FTTN was too costly without return at the time it commenced and it was built with future expansion in mind when the technology became cheaper.

Now that the costs have come down (which always happens with technology) it's time for FTTC which has better technology than it did when planned years ago.

Really? Yeah they said that once before. Is that why they are ripping up all the old Telstra and Optus infrastructure?
Old Apr 24th 2018, 1:24 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Two bits of NBN news:

First, Buzz Telecom has gone to the wall and is effectively no more - so if you were thinking of them, or indeed were with them, there are offers to move to other providers.

Second, NBNCo have announced what they see as the new pricing model from October - and what it means is a two class service. Those on old plans with 12-25-50Mpbs speeds will likely see their practical speeds drop back again as the focus moves to either more expensive plans at those speeds, or more particularly the higher speed bands.

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-c...network-489510

Seems like NBNCo want to try and force out what they consider 'cheap' plans by setting a $45 minimum cost (+ other costs). This ignores they are already way too expensive for what's offered.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 11:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Thank-you to the myopic alt-right of BE for reminding me why I stopped using this site. **** me dead it's so depressing, I swear these halfwits actually believe Turnbull and Abbott did a knock-out job on the NBN. Till next time ...
Old Apr 30th 2018, 12:42 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Thank-you to the myopic alt-right of BE for reminding me why I stopped using this site. **** me dead it's so depressing, I swear these halfwits actually believe Turnbull and Abbott did a knock-out job on the NBN. Till next time ...
Shouldn't worry about it, they just appear to talk crap.

With the NBNCo CEO jumping ship, even he is now admitting that the FTTN / mixed technology decision was a bad move, and that the coalition government was responsible for it.

The reality is the FTTN is all going to have to be ripped out and replaced almost immediately. I just hope they make sure the cost lands on the heads of the coalition voters.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't worry about it, they just appear to talk crap.

With the NBNCo CEO jumping ship, even he is now admitting that the FTTN / mixed technology decision was a bad move, and that the coalition government was responsible for it.

The reality is the FTTN is all going to have to be ripped out and replaced almost immediately. I just hope they make sure the cost lands on the heads of the coalition voters.
Replaced? You aren't ripping out something new. Its existing copper infrastructure. There is no additional cost. It's all part of the continuing improvement service, something that allows you to balance the books and finances over time because we don't all need 25Mbps today.

What he said was:

The original NBN model used fibre to most premises, which Mr Morrow said would have meant higher speeds and fewer faults, but would have cost more.

And on faults

Mr Morrow acknowledges there are "too many, albeit the minority, who are dissatisfied" with the NBN experience..

And under the co-existence which of course needs to happen.

Despite the Government promising users a minimum download speed of 25 megabits per second (Mbps), Mr Morrow said this would not be possible during the "co-existence" period when other services like ADSL are still running.

And at even today we "ALL" have a better and continually improving internet service whilst balancing the finances.

Of course those die hard lefties who are dying to become centralist lack the ability to think about more than one aspect.
Old May 2nd 2018, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let you you all know, my NBN is great so far...
Old May 2nd 2018, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alfresco
This is BE. Positivity is not welcome.
Old May 2nd 2018, 9:59 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Very pleased with ours as well.
Old May 2nd 2018, 11:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll let you know if or when we ever get it.
Old May 2nd 2018, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Meanwhile over on mobile data.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/mobile-phones/they-cant-step-back-from-this-telco-wars-heat-up-over-unlimited-data/news-story/b6ee1cf8d1625f00b8c1f259c3adf2d5
Old May 9th 2018, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken the plunge and am waiting for the Optus Knick Knacks to turn up to my gaffe.

Main reason for switching as stated before is really like the Fetch TV box, More importantly the wife is used to it and can use it without any assistance from me.... even recordings and series tags and switching to other modes etc.....Plus it's multitude of uses including it being a media center unlike the Foxtel box, which means I can stream all of my stored media.....The fact that u can use it for most other streaming services..... The advantage that Optus has IInet with this, is you get the "Mighty box" for free instead of 250 bucks upront fee via IInet, plus a subscription channel, which you have to pay for with IInet. Then theres the Premier League....The one that tipped me into actually leaving IInet and I'm not sure a lot of people are fully aware of this, Optus have all of the World Cup this year, whereas SBS will only be showing certain games. That did it, and I got in I figured before the rush when people realise they wont be able to see certain teams.

I'll let you know how I go. I've already installed a neighbour FTTC for them and it went without a hitch. So far so good for them as well.

Oh an finally for the above..... IInet supply the same speed less the trimmings for 79 bucks.... The Optus cost with the lot 80 bucks.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 9th 2018 at 11:44 pm.
Old May 9th 2018, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
This is BE. Positivity is not welcome.
Acknowledged.
Old May 9th 2018, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've taken the plunge and am waiting for the Optus Knick Knacks to turn up to my gaffe.

Main reason for switching as stated before is really like the Fetch TV box, More importantly the wife is used to it and can use it without any assistance from me.... even recordings and series tags and switching to other modes etc.....Plus it's multitude of uses including it being a media center unlike the Foxtel box, which means I can stream all of my stored media.....The fact that u can use it for most other streaming services..... The advantage that Optus has IInet with this, is you get the "Mighty box" for free instead of 250 bucks upront fee via IInet, plus a subscription channel, which you have to pay for with IInet. Then theres the Premier League....The one that tipped me into actually leaving IInet and I'm not sure a lot of people are fully aware of this, Optus have all of the World Cup this year, whereas SBS will only be showing certain games. That did it, and I got in I figured before the rush when people realise they wont be able to see certain teams.

I'll let you know how I go. I've already installed a neighbour FTTC for them and it went without a hitch. So far so good for them as well.

Oh an finally for the above..... IInet supply the same speed less the trimmings for 79 bucks.... The Optus cost with the lot 80 bucks.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Old May 10th 2018, 12:26 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

I wouldn't give a second thought to leaving iiNet, and if Optus give you what you want then all the better. Assuming you are also on FTTC you should be able to work out what speed you are likely to get from what your neighbour achieves. Your $80 should get you 50/20, although as you know, Optus are lagging the practical speeds of the others. The football will only be 720p IIRC.

One thing to bear in mind, phone points will be disconnected and you really want the best, smoothest, most unadulterated copper to your house and to your modem to get the best speeds. In theory you can then connect the wiring from the phone ports to the modem to get those ports working again, but I see little info about people actually doing it. I guess landlines are old tech and most accept only one phone in the house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.