Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / The Barbie

View Poll Results: Which tech do you have ?
FTTP - Fibre baby, the good stuff 3 20.00%
HFC - it's fibre, but ... 1 6.67%
FTTN - the Trunbull special 2 13.33%
FTTC - better than FTTN 1 6.67%
Mobile Broadband - feel the money burn 1 6.67%
ADSL, still 7 46.67%
I'm a luddite. 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:22 am   #46
GarryP 
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So who's on the NBN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
Blimey even the Chinese knock of early in Melbourne

The guys out the front of my place have gone, leaving two crews left. As you can see the pit could hardly be any closer to my existing connection.
An they say the SE Asians don't assimilate to Australian working practices...

Quote:
IInet quoted me March. They are testing FTTC at private addresses round Nicholson St Coburg apparently. The one that could speak English (foreman ?) definitely reckons before Xmas.... So I may push for whoever can get the appropriate modem to me first.
Well best of luck, but as I said up thread, the word is the NBNco lot don't have the software sorted to manage FTTC yet. So don't hold your breath (and avoid iiNet if you can).
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:55 am   #47
Moreland Member

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
An they say the SE Asians don't assimilate to Australian working practices...

Well best of luck, but as I said up thread, the word is the NBNco lot don't have the software sorted to manage FTTC yet. So don't hold your breath (and avoid iiNet if you can).
Bugger in my enthusiasm I temporarily forgot the golden rule of new tech, "Never be the first in" Damn.... That's why we have Fetch, 'tis the only media interface my wife can use with confidence.

Very frustrating to have an iffy net connection, especially when it comes to watching and listening to media.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 7:06 am   #48
GarryP 
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bugger in my enthusiasm I temporarily forgot the golden rule of new tech, "Never be the first in" Damn.... That's why we have Fetch, 'tis the only media interface my wife can use with confidence.
Hmm, from memory I think that UI is similar to Android TV or the default Kodi UI for that matter. All rows of options and arrow keys.

Quote:
Very frustrating to have an iffy net connection, especially when it comes to watching and listening to media.
Yeah. Which is why you need a provider that works in the evenings, when you are likely to want to use it, rather than grinding to a halt but being OK outside those times.
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th 2017, 7:09 am   #49
Moreland Member

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hmm, from memory I think that UI is similar to Android TV or the default Kodi UI for that matter. All rows of options and arrow keys.

Fetch works properly about 98 pct of the time, Kodi about 50 pct, that's the issue. I'll have to buy a box, if I go to a different provider, Circa 350 bucks.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 8:14 am   #50
still chillin'

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One of those with FTTP is me, and I'm in VIC.
Sorry, I thought the third one was Alf
old.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st 2017, 1:04 pm   #51
Grumpy Poppy

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We've got wireless NBN as have the majority of rural locations. We have the dish on the roof and receive a signal from the closest tower.
It's far in excess of our old $80 bucks a month for 8gig dongle.

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / The Barbie