Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So who's on the NBN?

View Poll Results: Which tech do you have ?
FTTP - Fibre baby, the good stuff
28.00%
HFC - it's fibre, but ...
4.00%
FTTN - the Trunbull special
8.00%
FTTC - better than FTTN
4.00%
Mobile Broadband - feel the money burn
8.00%
ADSL, still
48.00%
I'm a luddite.
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

So who's on the NBN?

Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:22 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So who's on the NBN?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Blimey even the Chinese knock of early in Melbourne

The guys out the front of my place have gone, leaving two crews left. As you can see the pit could hardly be any closer to my existing connection.
An they say the SE Asians don't assimilate to Australian working practices...

IInet quoted me March. They are testing FTTC at private addresses round Nicholson St Coburg apparently. The one that could speak English (foreman ?) definitely reckons before Xmas.... So I may push for whoever can get the appropriate modem to me first.
Well best of luck, but as I said up thread, the word is the NBNco lot don't have the software sorted to manage FTTC yet. So don't hold your breath (and avoid iiNet if you can).
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
An they say the SE Asians don't assimilate to Australian working practices...

Well best of luck, but as I said up thread, the word is the NBNco lot don't have the software sorted to manage FTTC yet. So don't hold your breath (and avoid iiNet if you can).
Bugger in my enthusiasm I temporarily forgot the golden rule of new tech, "Never be the first in" Damn.... That's why we have Fetch, 'tis the only media interface my wife can use with confidence.

Very frustrating to have an iffy net connection, especially when it comes to watching and listening to media.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 7:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger in my enthusiasm I temporarily forgot the golden rule of new tech, "Never be the first in" Damn.... That's why we have Fetch, 'tis the only media interface my wife can use with confidence.
Hmm, from memory I think that UI is similar to Android TV or the default Kodi UI for that matter. All rows of options and arrow keys.

Very frustrating to have an iffy net connection, especially when it comes to watching and listening to media.
Yeah. Which is why you need a provider that works in the evenings, when you are likely to want to use it, rather than grinding to a halt but being OK outside those times.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, from memory I think that UI is similar to Android TV or the default Kodi UI for that matter. All rows of options and arrow keys.

Fetch works properly about 98 pct of the time, Kodi about 50 pct, that's the issue. I'll have to buy a box, if I go to a different provider, Circa 350 bucks.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 8:14 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

One of those with FTTP is me, and I'm in VIC.
Sorry, I thought the third one was Alf
Old Oct 1st 2017, 1:04 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We've got wireless NBN as have the majority of rural locations. We have the dish on the roof and receive a signal from the closest tower.
It's far in excess of our old $80 bucks a month for 8gig dongle.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 11:41 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Buffe ....... ring

Old Nov 26th 2017, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I will be going on it in a few weeks, moving from rural town that has broadband to rural property outside town that doesn't. It's looking like we're going to pay somewhere in the range of $60/month.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 8:14 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by carcajou
I will be going on it in a few weeks, moving from rural town that has broadband to rural property outside town that doesn't. It's looking like we're going to pay somewhere in the range of $60/month.
Today is the last day of the Aussie Broadband offer for a free month + 6 months double data. You could sign up now and get it for a few weeks time.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 12:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

F**king yes! We're due to get the NBN (FTTN) next month. They've been working in our street this week and I came home today to find that the node has been installed virtually right outside our front gate. It's less than 50m from the node to where the cable enters the house. I went and had a look at the node and this cable will be directly connected to the node (unlike in some installations where houses that are close to a node have cable that do massive detours up and down the street). I reckon I'm going to get a good NBN connection. A friend of mine in Gooseberry Hill (next suburb along) has FTTN NBN and is about 150-200m from the node. He consistently gets upwards of 90Mbps at peak times. That would suit me
Old Feb 8th 2018, 1:17 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
FTTC is due here late next year but by then we may not want or need it as a local provider is due to commence a fixed wireless service next month. If it delivers what they hope then the NBN will be dead in this region.

Got installed with the local wireless service on Monday and so far so good.
Signed up for 30/10; constantly getting 33/14.

Today with VPN to Perth server got between 40-50. Can't work that one out.

Won't be signing up to NBN when it arrives here.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It has been available for a few months but I decided to hold off. To be honest our ADSL conection has always allowed multiple streaming of HDTV. We are 2.5km from exchange.

Neighbours either side report no problems so I will be switching over when I get around to it.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 3:34 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

We were at friends outside of Yass over the weekend - they have wireless. The tower is practically the other side of their field.

Think they're getting similar speeds to you through the day, drops a little during the evening.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 11:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

30Mb is perfectly fine for most applications. What do you pay for that? Unlimited?

Unlimited 100Mb NBN is $90 with Mate

Last edited by Amazulu; Feb 9th 2018 at 11:17 am.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 9:34 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

NBNCo do appear to be pulling a fast one, or rather a slow one.

Since their cockup and move to FTTN there are a large part of new signups that can't physically get 100/40 or faster. So they have made 50/20 cheaper for the ISPs to persuade them to preferentially offer that. That makes NBNCo look better ("look, we are delivering what people want") but hobbles Australia with a network that can't actually go any faster (which will hit services a few years down the road, such as multiple 4K streams).

If you look at the take up of speeds between FTTP and FTTN, you see there is a latent demand if the physical layer is up to it, but FTTN just isn't. With sensible governance they would have halted the rollout of FTTN as they did with HFC and delivered at least FTTC, or better FTTP which they could do for the same price. Then there would be less FTTN that's going to need to be ripped out and replaced 5 years hence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.