Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So many coming back!!

So many coming back!!

Old May 5th 2006, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

barkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nice
Default Re: So many coming back!!

Originally Posted by bainser
I know one person in Oz so my contact list is extremely short! I appreciate this info, it's good to know both sides of the story before we make the decision. I don't want to wake up in 20 years and think what if but at the same time I don't want to blow all our savings on what is essentially my idea. Ah well time for a few beers and a lot of thinking!
My husband works in IT in Sydney and has had no problem with getting work. He initially transferred with his company from london but was made redundant so went contracting and was offered permanent from that. There are jobs in Sydney so dont be despondent. He is a programme manager and there are project management and service delivery manager jobs going. Dont know about techie stuff but you need to register with agencies once you have residency and go from there.
Having said all that we are still homesick and the work culture is different but there are positives

cheers :
Old May 5th 2006, 12:51 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So many coming back!!

It might be worth getting a bit specific when you look at this stuff

- IT is a broad industry - its like saying I work in Automotive Industry but you could be anything from a car washer to the chief engineer at Mercedes.

salary ranges in 'IT' go from 30K$/year for low level customer support stuff up to and beyond the 500K$ mark for the senior posts running large business units - but still 'IT'.

C++ jobs are going to be extremely different in their availability and demand than Windows XP System admin jobs or IT Project Mgt skills or Service Delivery Mgt jobs. All the big outsourcers & IT Co's are here in most of the cities and there are a lot of home grown companies and asian companies too.

Having worked here for a year I dont think its much different to UK work practices in professional work in terms of what is expected of you. You can still get the shirkers who do 30hrs a week (if lucky) and the people who drive themselves and do 90 hrs a week. Offices are as full of duffers here as they are in the UK. Its all the same.