Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So many coming back!!

So many coming back!!

Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So many coming back!!

Apologies Daisymoo. Haven't gone back to the beginning to read exactly what you put and have forgotten the tone, but judging by the responses you got, and your replies to all of us, I can only assume that maybe your wording didn't work. But it is very difficult to get the right tone over in the written word.

Well done for explaining and not going off in a strop

Good luck to you.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 5:11 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
One advantage that the UK has over Aus with the UK summer is the Light hours. Winter is approaching us in the Southern states, it wont be as cold, but it sure as hell will be dark when most people get home. The Light hours in the UK summer compared to the Aussie summer are far greater, giving more time for people to enjoy the outside daylight hours.

Personally I'd rather be outside in 7 degrees in London at 7.30 pm in April in the light, than 13 degrees in April here in Melbourne at 7.30 pm in the Dark.

Also who cares if It's dark at 3.45 pm mid December in London, if it's only 2 degrees outside, when you can compare that to Mid June, at 10.30 pm a nice dusk and 11 degrees. Light hours are as important as the Temperature in my opinion.
Its strange how the australian winters affect you ,i thought the winters here where great when i first came here now i hate them and yet i was in the uk for winter last year and didt give a monkeys ,maybe something to do with bonfire night and xmas lights etc
Old Mar 31st 2006, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
Its strange how the australian winters affect you ,i thought the winters here where great when i first came here now i hate them and yet i was in the uk for winter last year and didt give a monkeys ,maybe something to do with bonfire night and xmas lights etc

I've been giving this subject of light etc some serious thought. I reckon that the Uk has been given the upperhand by nature when it comes to light hours etc. Long long light hours in the Summer, when one really needs them. Dark in the Winter, when natural light isn't as needed. More light hours in Spring and Autumn, (at the cost of the winter darkness).

Take that into consideration with the way Most of the UK cities are lit up with probably twice to three times the amount wattage in lighting that the Average Aussie city has (street and shop lighting etc), Which makes winter from a light point of view possibly more palatable in the UK.

Coburg here in Melbourne, is a darn site darker at Night, than the better lit Greenwich or Lewisham. I think that makes a big difference.

I'm sure I went out more in the Winter in the UK, albeit to indoor venues.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 5:28 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
This is funny to read. When i joined here nearly 3 years ago posts like this were common place and in those days you had the likes of PB and Dotty screaming in a very condecending way for us to "take off our rose tints" And all of us telling each other to "just ignore them. They're only bitter etc"

So. Would any of us listen? NO! Because it was our dream to live and we were gonna do it no matter what some tool on an internet forum said.

Now it seems to have come full circle. Those of us who have been around a bit realise that, although said often in a somewhat offensive manner, PB, dotty and the like DID have some very valid points.

Now WE all choose to share those points but in a constructive, less condecending way and kindly say "take yer rose tints off love, yer dreaming" And we certainly have more back up these days too.

So. Would knowing what i know now change my decision? No. But its been a long hard road and i wouldn't choose to do it ever again

Everyones needs, wants and expectations vary immensly and for that they should never be judged

so who's shoes are you filling? PB's or Dotty?

Lynn
Old Mar 31st 2006, 5:46 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
so who's shoes are you filling? PB's or Dotty?

Lynn
The latter. PB was just TOO rude
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

perchard is an unknown quantity at this point

When we left the UK, my family and I were in the knowledge that we were moving to a foreign country, with their own laws and customs.

I think if you start of with that pearl of wisdom you wont think you will be moving to somewhere you think is the UK with sun.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I've been giving this subject of light etc some serious thought. I reckon that the Uk has been given the upperhand by nature when it comes to light hours etc. Long long light hours in the Summer, when one really needs them. Dark in the Winter, when natural light isn't as needed. More light hours in Spring and Autumn, (at the cost of the winter darkness).

Take that into consideration with the way Most of the UK cities are lit up with probably twice to three times the amount wattage in lighting that the Average Aussie city has (street and shop lighting etc), Which makes winter from a light point of view possibly more palatable in the UK.

Coburg here in Melbourne, is a darn site darker at Night, than the better lit Greenwich or Lewisham. I think that makes a big difference.

The clocks change at end of Oct and end of March which isn't an even 6 month split, rather 7 months + 5 months, which I tend to think favours the UK rather than Vic cos it's 7 months of 'summer' time/light eveings in UK whilst it's 7 months of 'winter' time/dark evenings in Vic. (Of course, I use the word 'summer' loosely when referring to the UK . ) I think they get the 6 month split in Tas don't they - clocks change in Sep & Mar in Tas if I remember rightly.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

daisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nice

I wasn't saying that you were judging, just that "people" in general should never judge.

FWIW life has, untill recently, been good. I am not returning and neither do i intend to. But having a husband life threateningly ill in hospital with none of his family around takes its toll and certainly makes you (and him) feel very very very far away from those you want to see most in the world. Its certainly not something i factored into the equation whilst dreaming of barbies on the beach!

Ozzie, a rare thing but i do, for once, totally see where you're coming from. Not sure i agree, but totally understand
So sorry for you and your husband, hope he recovers and i wil be thinking of you both, Take care
Carol
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

daisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by perchard
When we left the UK, my family and I were in the knowledge that we were moving to a foreign country, with their own laws and customs.

I think if you start of with that pearl of wisdom you wont think you will be moving to somewhere you think is the UK with sun.
Absolutely
Old Apr 1st 2006, 3:16 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daisymoo
WOW you dont have to shout, i know it's not utopia but you must have felt like me when you were in my shoes, optimistic excited and all the rest of it of a brand new life and what i'm saying is i find it easier to cope with things when the skies are blue and i have spring in my step, i'm not stupid enough to think that it can solve anything but i will be working just as hard as everyone else to make it work. My thread was definitely not a criticism of anyone just a view.
carol
Yes you're totally right. I felt just like you. All excited about our big adventure, desperatly wanting those visas to land on the mat. But try to look at things from another perspective. You may well feel just like me, and many others, in a few years time: trapped, homesick, unsettled etc. For your sake, I hope you don't.

Before we came I read all the bad stuff on this site, and others, I thought I was fully prepared for the hard work that was to come. Trouble is daisymoo, nobody can be prepared for just how hard this is, no matter how much ground work they do. A huge factor is emotion, and just how you will feel once you start your new life out here you cannot prepare yourself for.

Like most people, we also said "if it doesn't work out, then we will go home" reality is, it's not quite as cut and dried as that. There are many reasons stopping us returning. There's also that "what if" for going home.

I wish you well for your future here, I hope you find your dream.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 6:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I know I've not been here very long, but I love it here at night. The lack of light pollution is fantastic. One thing I didn't and don't like about the UK is the grey black mid afternoon in the winter. And that even in the middle of the night there, the sky is never black unless for some strange reason you are in the middle of the Welsh mountains
Old Apr 1st 2006, 11:46 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

The latter. PB was just TOO rude
Don't you dare start mimicking Dotty.

I hated her contrascending attitude and told her so.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 12:00 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Don't you dare start mimicking Dotty.

I hated her contrascending attitude and told her so.
Calm down!! I was just jestin man!!
Old Apr 4th 2006, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: So many coming back!!

i find this all interesting as my hubby and family are giving a lot of thought to coming to oz, we are doing lots of reseach in to different areas so that we can go with our eyes open very wide. before children i followed my other half to germany where he was posted i lived in two very different areas for over 5 years i loved it yet enjoyed coming back to the uk for hols.
we are wanting to come out in around 3 years when he leaves the army.
i think if you are prepared for a complete change of life and expect to miss the uk then you might make it out there i do think it has a lot to do with expectations . in the uk we cant afford to live in a more desirable area as house prices are so high so we are in an ex mining community which is ok but we want to try something different that we hope will give us a better quality of life.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 12:26 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Margaret2

I think she has done very well as well, good on her for posting her feelings
Isn't that what makes the forum interesting, feelings ,not the bloody price of cabbage.[/QUOTE]

I can never understand why people assume Vash goes on about the price of cabbage. It's not Vash, it's Jad & Rich who have that 'Land of the $8.99 cabbage' thing on their posts. And I'm sure it's tongue in cheek as I have never seen one anywhere near that price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.