Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So many coming back!!

So many coming back!!

Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:44 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: So many coming back!!

Originally Posted by wmoore
In today's Courier Mail (can't be bothered to search for the online link) a report is saying that 1/4 - 1/3 of the cost of buying a house is going on government charges (read: tax). So if you buy a $450k house, you hand over $150k in tax.
Are you sure about this Wayne? 6% on stamp duty, GST on Solicitors fees, survey etc, these could all be counted as tax. But 25 - 33%? You don't think it meant that 1/4-1/3 of the cost of moving was tax as opposed to the actual purchase price of the home?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So many coming back!!

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Are you sure about this Wayne? 6% on stamp duty, GST on Solicitors fees, survey etc, these could all be counted as tax. But 25 - 33%? You don't think it meant that 1/4-1/3 of the cost of moving was tax as opposed to the actual purchase price of the home?

Cheers

Buzzy
I posted this on another thread today:
Taxes add to affordability problem

March 28, 2006
Government taxes and charges are adding up to 34.8 per cent to the cost of buying a new house says consultants UrbisJHD. In Melbourne government charges contributed over $91,000 or 24 per cent to the cost of a typical $366,000 house and land package, up from $37,000 in 2000. In north west Sydney government taxes and charges added $198,000 or 34.8 per cent to the cost of a home. GST on construction costs was the largest contributor to the tax take
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:11 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Cheers

Buzzy
I've just bought a house and at no time can I remember anyone mentioning 1/3 to 1/4 as the stamp duty... buggered it it is.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:40 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
I've just bought a house and at no time can I remember anyone mentioning 1/3 to 1/4 as the stamp duty... buggered it it is.
For a NSW house we're looking at ...

Initial Requirements (assuming sale price of $399,000):
Stamp duty: $13,445
Legal fees: $800
Loan application fees: $655
Total: $14900

So that'd be 3.75% ...

I'd say you were right mate ... lot of bollocks being talked on this thread ...
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:22 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hutch
For a NSW house we're looking at ...

Initial Requirements (assuming sale price of $399,000):
Stamp duty: $13,445
Legal fees: $800
Loan application fees: $655
Total: $14900

So that'd be 3.75% ...

I'd say you were right mate ... lot of bollocks being talked on this thread ...

If you read it correctly from the newspaper report it is talking about new builds and the government tax they are talking about includes GST charged on the construction of the house Not just stamp duty
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:33 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

in west australian today:
house: $373,700
stategovrnnmentcosts[stamp duty,land tax and infrastructurecosts]$22,731
federalgovernment costs [gst and company tax]$36,157
local govrnment costs $614
other costs [compliance fees ,building code of australia ,and other costs at all levels of government ]$26,607
TOTAL CHARGES $86,109
how factual these figures are i wouldnt know
Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:57 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
GST on construction costs was the largest contributor to the tax take
That was it.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

jlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Where are you off to next time Libby?
Hi Mrs JFW,

We are off to the Goldcoast. We did visit there on the way back to the UK and fell in love with the greeness and tropical look of Queensland. We stayed up at Noosa Heads and it was lovely. We knew then we had made a mistake but thats life and you learn by it and just get on with it. Roll on June 1st!!

LibbyX
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:55 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
In today's Courier Mail (can't be bothered to search for the online link) a report is saying that 1/4 - 1/3 of the cost of buying a house is going on government charges (read: tax). So if you buy a $450k house, you hand over $150k in tax.
Is this it?
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...E25658,00.html
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Oh God , wish i hadn't read this thread, i really don't need this just now :scared:

Read the good and the bad, Margaret. Then have a good long think, or really don't think about it. Just put it in the back of your mind and let your subconscious work on it. It is better @ long term processing multiple threads than your conscious mind.

If you are going into a Project like this with a positive frame of mind, you have started on the right track.

And remember, no-one has died of a spider's bite for the last 30 years.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright

Hevs I loved that post you did (last year) when you agreed with me (oh no!) and said "you either get it or don't get it". I was like, at last, someone knows what I was trying to get at all those years ago! I think that is more important than rose tints, or lack thereof.
You are so right with that phrase Badge, I was just thinking of it the other day. Sums it up for me really
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:05 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jlkk
Hi Mrs JFW,

We are off to the Goldcoast. We did visit there on the way back to the UK and fell in love with the greeness and tropical look of Queensland. We stayed up at Noosa Heads and it was lovely. We knew then we had made a mistake but thats life and you learn by it and just get on with it. Roll on June 1st!!

LibbyX

best of luck then Libby!
Old Mar 29th 2006, 2:41 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joh117
If you read it correctly from the newspaper report it is talking about new builds and the government tax they are talking about includes GST charged on the construction of the house Not just stamp duty
Not a new build, no. Straight from the house details.

Oh ... and if it's under 500k and your first home, the stamp duty gets waived in NSW.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

daisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You will find that there are various reasons for moving back to the UK. Some people suffer such homesickness, they are physically ill, others, who have never been to Aus, or even if they have been here on holiday, find that living here is totally different and not what they want. Others just can't find work and so can't afford to stay. With these reasons, no matter how hard the sun shines, it is just not worth it.

There is no way of knowing if you are going to suffer home or people sickness until you have been away, with no prospect of getting back regularly.

For some reason Perth and Adelaide seem to have more than their fair share of returnees, but people from other places go back as well. You will also find that however much they hated it, or it didn't work for them, they are grateful they tried it. Quite a few get back to the UK and decide that Aus was what they wanted afterall and head back again.

Please don't judge others. We are all individual and have different wants and needs.

Wrong end of the stick, i would never judge anyone for anything, i may be in the same position one day, i was just reading the coming back thread thinking how ironic. I read posts on this forum quite often and although i dont know anyone i get just as excited for them when they get the big 'YES' and when i read about people being homesick and unhappy i feel for them too. I totally understand that it is something you will never know until you've tried it and hats off to everyone for trying whether it works for them or not.
Carol
Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

daisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I'm not having a dig at you, I'm just telling you as it is. THIS IS NOT UTOPIA. IT IS JUST AS HARD TO SURVIVE OUT HERE. Like the old saying goes "never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes"
WOW you dont have to shout, i know it's not utopia but you must have felt like me when you were in my shoes, optimistic excited and all the rest of it of a brand new life and what i'm saying is i find it easier to cope with things when the skies are blue and i have spring in my step, i'm not stupid enough to think that it can solve anything but i will be working just as hard as everyone else to make it work. My thread was definitely not a criticism of anyone just a view.
carol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.