Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are smart phones responsible for the demise of BE

Are smart phones responsible for the demise of BE

Old Nov 3rd 2017, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are smart phones responsible for the demise of BE

I think we can all agree that BE, like The Old Grey Mare, ain't what she used to be.

Personally, I don't post as much because I'm always checking BE on my phone and it's not as easy to type a response as it is when sitting at your computer keyboard.

Anyone else refrain from posting a long response because they're on their phone?
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 10:38 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are smart phones responsible for the demise of BE

Doesn't affect me, I don't have a smart phone.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Doesn't affect me, I don't have a smart phone.
And you're the only one posting lol.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 10:48 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
And you're the only one posting lol.
1067 people are currently on line on BE, according to the BE statistics.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs
1067 people are currently on line on BE, according to the BE statistics.
Well they're not visiting The Barbie!!
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 10:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Phones are responsible for the demise of a lot of things IMO.

I think Facebook would be more responsible for the demise of BE than smart phones.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 11:05 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I think, in part at least, it is the law of unintended consequences.

Australian government, particular the coalition, don't want chinese, indian, just straight brown immigrants. However their chosen tool was to make it harder to immigrate for everyone. And that led to the unintended consequence that most 'white' potential immigrants considered it too much hassle. So they didn't.

As such the racial mix changed, and with it the raison d'etre of British Expats.

Couple that with the changes in technology as well ....
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Phones are responsible for the demise of a lot of things IMO.

I think Facebook would be more responsible for the demise of BE than smart phones.
Lucky we're friends on Facebook!
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 1:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky we're friends on Facebook!
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 1:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I think we can all agree that BE, like The Old Grey Mare, ain't what she used to be.

Personally, I don't post as much because I'm always checking BE on my phone and it's not as easy to type a response as it is when sitting at your computer keyboard.

Anyone else refrain from posting a long response because they're on their phone?
For me it's exactly 180° opposite. I can't post on my work computer, and dropped off BE for several years because posting in an evening on my home computer wasn't convenient.

When I got my smart phone I returned to BE, just over five years ago, and have posted over 30,000 times since then, of which easily over 99% have been on my phone. Without a smart phone I doubt I would ever have returned.

I believe the decline of BE is due to Farcebook, and given that people seem to have no trouble posting to Farcebook using their phones, I think the decline in BE and the rise of the smartphone is largely coincidental.

You might want to try using the "full" website for accessing BE on your phone as I find the "mobile skin" to be clumsy and irritating.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 3rd 2017 at 1:35 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
For me it's exactly 180° opposite. I can't post on my work computer, and dropped off BE for several years because posting in an evening on my home computer wasn't convenient.

When I got my smart phone I returned to BE, just over five years ago, and have posted over 30,000 times since then, of which easily over 99% have been on my phone. Without a smart phone I doubt I would ever have returned.

I believe the decline of BE is due to Farcebook, and given that people seem to have no trouble posting to Farcebook using their phones, I think the decline in BE and the rise of the smartphone is largely coincidental.

You might want to try using the "full" website for accessing BE on your phone as I find the "mobile skin" to be clumsy and irritating.
I do use the full website - can't be navigating that mobile skin.

I'm probably the only lazy bugger then. I've facebooked for as long as I've BE'd so haven't really noticed the change there. My three young people don't even use FB any more, snapchat is the go with them. My youngest has made 800,000 snapchats. I do quite like sending voice changing snapchats wearing bunny ears.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I only ever use a smart phone to post on BE. If the work computer is on, its doing work.

Not sure what smart phone you have but my Note 5 is quite capable of typing long threads (as you can see) embedding images, links, etc.

The odd fat finger typos do exist but thats a small price and the source of some good conversation.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
I only ever use a smart phone to post on BE. If the work computer is on, its doing work.

Not sure what smart phone you have but my Note 5 is quite capable of typing long threads (as you can see) embedding images, links, etc.

The odd fat finger typos do exist but thats a small price and the source of some good conversation.
I have some model of Samsung Galaxy, great phone and the keyboard is great. But I'm a good old touch typist so can use a traditional keyboard much more efficiently.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I have some model of Samsung Galaxy, great phone and the keyboard is great. But I'm a good old touch typist so can use a traditional keyboard much more efficiently.
Its certainly quicker on the full size keyboard.

My wife uses that pattern thing on her Samsung. Its bloody quick. I haven't mastered it yet but she has it in the bag.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Its certainly quicker on the full size keyboard.

My wife uses that pattern thing on her Samsung. Its bloody quick. I haven't mastered it yet but she has it in the bag.
Yeah I do the drag thing. It's great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.