Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are smart phones responsible for the demise of BE

Are smart phones responsible for the demise of BE

Old Nov 3rd 2017, 10:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are smart phones responsible for the demise of BE

Originally Posted by Kim67
I do use the full website - can't be navigating that mobile skin.

I'm probably the only lazy bugger then. I've facebooked for as long as I've BE'd so haven't really noticed the change there. My three young people don't even use FB any more, snapchat is the go with them. My youngest has made 800,000 snapchats. I do quite like sending voice changing snapchats wearing bunny ears.
I love the silly snap chat thingy. T has made a few really ridiculous videos. PM me your user name and I'll add you.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 3:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Other forums are still very active. The Australia section on BE has a problem specifically related to content that turned a lot of people off. That's my opinion anyway.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 4:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Other forums are still very active. The Australia section on BE has a problem specifically related to content that turned a lot of people off. That's my opinion anyway.
Yes, I think the character of the different BE forums varies a lot, depending on who is living there.

The Spain and Portugal forums have a lot of old färtš retired people, the US forum has a fairly even mix of spouses of US citizens and those on work transfers, with only a handful of people who stayed on in the US after retiring, plus a very small number of apparent anglophile yanks, and an even smaller number of self employed "investors".

As far as I can tell, the Cyprus and Malta forums have almost died entirely. There has been a grand total of six posts in both forums since October 1st.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 4th 2017 at 4:11 am.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Bc is correct. The AU forums are now Garry and Beoz and Zulu posting (even Ozt made a comeback for a while). I can go months without checking. There is also a lack of UK migrants agonising about their lives...less fuel for the fire...the AU forums were always somewhat tense...
Old Nov 4th 2017, 5:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Bc is correct. The AU forums are now Garry and Beoz and Zulu posting (even Ozt made a comeback for a while). I can go months without checking. There is also a lack of UK migrants agonising about their lives...less fuel for the fire...the AU forums were always somewhat tense...
IMO the Australian forum died because Garry, Beoz and Zulu are augmentative and make it difficult for anyone who has any views that are not in line with theirs. Every thread is eventually turned into bickering and "lefty loony" type name calling. It got old a very long time ago.

Oh, and there are still lots of UK immigrants agonising over their move. They simply don't do it here (other forums or FB).
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
IMO the Australian forum died because Garry, Beoz and Zulu are augmentative and make it difficult for anyone who has any views that are not in line with theirs. Every thread is eventually turned into bickering and "lefty loony" type name calling. It got old a very long time ago.

Oh, and there are still lots of UK immigrants agonising over their move. They simply don't do it here (other forums or FB).
Out of the top 5 threads in the Barbie right now there is one "The Automation" thread where we discuss, argue and debate automation and its past and future effects. It gets some tension but so what?

The others have no tension.

If that thread isn't for you then leave it alone. Don't click on it.

For what its worth, Kim raised the point on mobile devices. She reads every day but doesn't feel the mobile offers the ease of typing.

For me, and I don't have the numbers, but British immigration seems to have declined since the mining boom. Not as many people visiting the site to collect newcomers, old goers have either moved on or have no need for the online support. Things die without continued stimulus.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

You might want to try using the "full" website for accessing BE on your phone as I find the "mobile skin" to be clumsy and irritating.

Agree with this, as for the demise of BE, probably a combination of everything above, including the different mix of Migrants.

I'm trying to wean myself of off Facebook and use Instagram instead. Facebook is terribly addictive from my point of view. I have found some interesting contacts on there over the years. Best one this year was an old workmate of my Fathers, which was incredible really, seeing as he was in his 80's.

As for BE, I like the fact that you can post anytime, anyway and still carry on a thread, which is more difficult on Facebook.

The Palace BBS AKA my London board is still going strong, I've been on there since 2001 and they've hardly lost any members. In fact 115,000 members on there, with 300 currently at 7.30AM in the UK. They've had 9,000 online at a peak time in the past..... Plus they are 2 million posts in front of BE with 13,000,000 plus v 11,000,000 for BE. So Facebook hasn't affected them. No ad's either.... Very BBC like they are.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 4th 2017 at 7:52 am.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
As for BE, I like the fact that you can post anytime, anyway and still carry on a thread, which is more difficult on Facebook.
And your photo's, activties, etc doesn't follow you to BE like it does on Facebook.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 7:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I've had smartphone access throughout my (current) BE existence. I wouldn't say the device impacts my usage, although if I have to waffle on ad infinitum I will tend to use my laptop/computer. I think activity waxes and wanes depending on who is around. On the Canadian forum, we seem to have lost some of our fabulous female posters, which is a shame, and I think changes the dynamic somewhat.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It also depends on topics being raised. If the sole topic going around is only about politics, its bound to not attract many.

If there are a diverse range of topics being discussed, lots more people can contribute and participate.

A new diverse range of threads might be the key, and of course monthly monetary giveaways for the best post.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 10:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Beoz
My wife uses that pattern thing on her Samsung.
What's the pattern thing ?

I have a Samsung smart phone but need a flippin' magnifying glass to see what's on the screen half the time. That's with my reading glasses on.

Just get a bit impatient with it.

Mind you it is really the quake phone in case of emergency so don't hardly use the thing.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 11:07 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
It also depends on topics being raised. If the sole topic going around is only about politics, its bound to not attract many.

If there are a diverse range of topics being discussed, lots more people can contribute and participate.

A new diverse range of threads might be the key, and of course monthly monetary giveaways for the best post.
The sole topic being raised wasn't politics. But just about every thread was being derailed into that, whether it was relevant or not.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 12:51 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The sole topic being raised wasn't politics. But just about every thread was being derailed into that, whether it was relevant or not.
I would agree with this - but not sure there is any easy solutions. The only members posting regularly seem to be those that enjoy turning threads into a left / right battle

I agree that there are still lots of people looing to move to Australia, but not many newbies pass by this way and many of those that do, do not stick around. Not convinced that it is a smart phone thing - I don't often read or reply on mine. It would be too easy to blame FB - it's been around a long time, and so have many of the expat groups, far longer than the downturn in this section of BE and other areas continue to be more lively.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I will point you again to the top 5 threads on the Barbie.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS
What's the pattern thing ?

I have a Samsung smart phone but need a flippin' magnifying glass to see what's on the screen half the time. That's with my reading glasses on.

Just get a bit impatient with it.

Mind you it is really the quake phone in case of emergency so don't hardly use the thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.