Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines...

Singapore airlines...

Old Jun 15th 2006, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold
Default Singapore airlines...

Great food, great service, lots of leg room, great in-seat entertainment, punctual...but can't transport a surfboard to save their life. Many thanks to SA and the groundstaff at either Heathrow or Melbourne who decided to (literally) run over my surfboard with a truck. Was really pleased to see my beloved surfboard split in 2 lengthways with tyre tracks either side of the split when I got back from England this time. We moved out to Melbourne in Feb and when we had to go back to the UK a couple of weeks ago, I thought "well why not bring my surfboard with me? What harm can it do?". Little did I know...my beautiful surfboard...dead...and don't anyone go saying "you can get one over here really easily...I wouldn't say that to you if your dog died..........booooooooo......hoooooooooooo....... ........
Old Jun 15th 2006, 12:51 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore airlines...

Originally Posted by Matt Sabin
Great food, great service, lots of leg room, great in-seat entertainment, punctual...but can't transport a surfboard to save their life. Many thanks to SA and the groundstaff at either Heathrow or Melbourne who decided to (literally) run over my surfboard with a truck. Was really pleased to see my beloved surfboard split in 2 lengthways with tyre tracks either side of the split when I got back from England this time. We moved out to Melbourne in Feb and when we had to go back to the UK a couple of weeks ago, I thought "well why not bring my surfboard with me? What harm can it do?". Little did I know...my beautiful surfboard...dead...and don't anyone go saying "you can get one over here really easily...I wouldn't say that to you if your dog died..........booooooooo......hoooooooooooo....... ........
We had 2 expensive suitcases knackered when we went to Sydney last year. One going to Sydney and one coming back from Sydney.

Are you insured?
Old Jun 15th 2006, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
We had 2 expensive suitcases knackered when we went to Sydney last year. One going to Sydney and one coming back from Sydney.

Are you insured?
Don't think so. Vaguely remember being asked at Heathrow to sign bits of paper when we checked in...it was all a bit of a rush in the end. I suspect it said "I am very happy for Singapore Airlines to run over my surfboard with a truck and when they do I'll just whinge about it on the British Expats website..."...also it's probably only worth a couple of hundred of bucks but the sentimental value...it's like losing your best friend...
Old Jun 15th 2006, 12:58 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think so. Vaguely remember being asked at Heathrow to sign bits of paper when we checked in...it was all a bit of a rush in the end. I suspect it said "I am very happy for Singapore Airlines to run over my surfboard with a truck and when they do I'll just whinge about it on the British Expats website..."...also it's probably only worth a couple of hundred of bucks but the sentimental value...it's like losing your best friend...
I think that there is a hidden 400 foot tower in every airport that all the luggage ascends to the top of (after being checked in) before plunging over the edge onto a granite surface.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Singapore airlines...

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I think that there is a hidden 400 foot tower in every airport that all the luggage ascends to the top of (after being checked in) before plunging over the edge onto a granite surface.
Thanks, I needed that chuckle.

lol
Old Jun 15th 2006, 2:10 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

It's probably too late for you (sorry ) but for anyone else who has something similar happen - if you go straight to the relevant airlines desk (generally in the arrivals hall) they will normally replace any damaged luggage. I've had a number of suitcases damaged over the years and the only airline that wouldn't replace it was ryanair. That said I've never taken a surfboard! Nevertheless why not try give SA a call, can't hurt?

Martyn
Old Jun 15th 2006, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

jeez this has worried me now.........

I'm on my way back to the UK a week tonight (actually a week from now I'll be onh said plane)... have flown SIN loads and never had a bother - but this time I'm taking my prize geetar back with me as I've got a UK gig and if anything happens to it I shall be most distraught....

I could probably borrow one over there but it's not the same as playing your own... what to do, what to do?!?!?!?!
Old Jun 15th 2006, 3:17 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YoSemite
jeez this has worried me now.........

I'm on my way back to the UK a week tonight (actually a week from now I'll be onh said plane)... have flown SIN loads and never had a bother - but this time I'm taking my prize geetar back with me as I've got a UK gig and if anything happens to it I shall be most distraught....

I could probably borrow one over there but it's not the same as playing your own... what to do, what to do?!?!?!?!
is it irreplaceable? If not then get travel insurance....... If it is well the risk is small but is it worth taking?

Martyn
Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that Matt. How are things going otherwise? Enjoying Melbourne?
Ruth
Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:41 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

I don't want to be a party pooper but within those kind of trades there is a thing called a "drop test"

Basically, you drop it and what ever comes out is yours!!!!

I used to work within the armed forces and if we did it, you can bet your bottom dollar civvies do it!!!!

A good looking box or package...............................you never know!!!!!

If it looks like a guitar, then it is a guitar - but if it looks like a box...............it's worth dropping to see what's in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 15th 2006, 9:45 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Possoms said Malaysia Airlines were much better.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisbec
I don't want to be a party pooper but within those kind of trades there is a thing called a "drop test"

Basically, you drop it and what ever comes out is yours!!!!

I used to work within the armed forces and if we did it, you can bet your bottom dollar civvies do it!!!!

A good looking box or package...............................you never know!!!!!

If it looks like a guitar, then it is a guitar - but if it looks like a box...............it's worth dropping to see what's in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's terrible !!!!!