Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Senseless waste of a life

Senseless waste of a life

Old Aug 28th 2014, 4:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Senseless waste of a life

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Kids don't need to learn how to shoot.
Nobody 'needs' to do anything but if a child wants to learn to shoot, why not?

Shooting is a great sport that teaches discipline, accuracy, concentration and safety. It's also super fun

There would have been competitors at the recent London and Glasgow games that would have learnt to shoot at the age of the girl in this incident
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Nobody 'needs' to do anything but if a child wants to learn to shoot, why not?

Shooting is a great sport that teaches discipline, accuracy, concentration and safety. It's also super fun

There would have been competitors at the recent London and Glasgow games that would have learnt to shoot at the age of the girl in this incident
Because I think the fewer people in the world that know how to shoot a gun, the better and safer place the world would be.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Because I think the fewer people in the world that know how to shoot a gun, the better and safer place the world would be.
Kind of naive but if that's what believe then party on

I like guns and have no problem with people (even children) learning to shoot. Adullts should also have a right to own them IMO

I can distinguish between the use of firearms for military, law enforcement, leisure and sports applications
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of naive but if that's what believe then party on

I like guns and have no problem with people (even children) learning to shoot. Adullts should also have a right to own them IMO

I can distinguish between the use of firearms for military, law enforcement, leisure and sports applications

It isn't naïve at all. The stats speak for themselves when you look at gun death rates in countries where firearms are available (even subject to appropriate licence) versus those where they generally are not. You are naïve and mathematically challenged if you think the ability to get hold of a gun has no correlation to deaths caused by guns.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem with guns or teaching young kids to shoot but a submachine gun is a bit OTT

Rotherham is disgusting and tragic but there is only one word to describe it - Islam
Well maybe it could happen in Pakistan but it happened in Rotherham, in a white anglo-saxon protestant country with different laws, morals and so on.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Kids don't need to learn how to shoot.
Why? I learned to shoot a hunting rifle at age 12. My brother in law used to take my neice and I moose hunting when we were young.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

So very sad.

In my childhood, we travelled with an Uzi on my Mom's lap. I was still a kid. Neither of my parents had ever practised with it on a firing range and it never fired a bullet, thankfully.

Now, to imagine my Mom firing it for real, with never having practised at all, is a very scary thought indeed, especially on full auto.

Later on in life when I did obligatory national service, I learnt to use automatic rifles (R1 & R4) and the recoil was astonishing to say the least, at first. If you have never fired a 'gun' before, it's like driving a car and can get out of control very easily. It requires a lot of practice and then becomes easier, and then old hat.

After that, my ex and I both owned 9mm semi's. We successfully completed our combat training courses and pretty much carried them everywhere we went.

We did have one incident in S.A. at night where I very fortunately defused a situation, only because I was carrying a firearm.

Thankfully I don't need one here and didn't need one in England either.

I miss the target practice sometimes. I used to go every Saturday morning.

Just my 2C.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Why was there an Uzi on your mothers lap?
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:29 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Americans always hide behind the 2nd and 14th amendments of the US Constitution upheld by the Supreme Court in 2008 and 2010 - the right for individuals to possess arms for self defence (or DEfense as they call it). They will argue that this extends to teaching your children how to shoot at Burgers and Bullets I guess.

Truly pathetic, but in today's news is something of greater wonderment - how all the authorities in Rotherham ignored the abuse of at least 1,400 children by mainly Pakistani men - because they were frightened of being labelled racist for tackling the problem. Just Google Rotherham if you haven't heard about it where you are.
In one incident, they came across a 12 yr old girl, drunk, in a room with about 12 Pakistani men also drunk, instead of wondering WTF was going on, the arrested the girl for being drunk and disorderly. If she was being disorderly, she might just have been trying to get away. One of the girls abused was interviewed on the BBC this morning, and yes, she did complain, but nothing was done, and it was, apparently, Pakistani men and white girls involved.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't naïve at all. The stats speak for themselves when you look at gun death rates in countries where firearms are available (even subject to appropriate licence) versus those where they generally are not. You are naïve and mathematically challenged if you think the ability to get hold of a gun has no correlation to deaths caused by guns.
You only have to look at the gun crime and gun murder rate in America to see that having millions of guns in circulation has only one affect. It doesnt lower the crime rate or the murder rate, ultimately it does nothing positive for safety. Those who for whatever reason support gun ownership are clutching at straws, the figures are there for all to see.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:34 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
In one incident, they came across a 12 yr old girl, drunk, in a room with about 12 Pakistani men also drunk, instead of wondering WTF was going on, the arrested the girl for being drunk and disorderly. If she was being disorderly, she might just have been trying to get away. One of the girls abused was interviewed on the BBC this morning, and yes, she did complain, but nothing was done, and it was, apparently, Pakistani men and white girls involved.

Something about this doesn't ring true, as drunk and disorderly is only arrestable when committed in a public place. I suspect that the girl was arrested on the pretence of that 'offence' to remove her from the situation.

S
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Why was there an Uzi on your mothers lap?
My parents moved from S.A. to Zim (the then Rhodesia) during the war before Zim gained independence. To travel to S.A. from there and back was ambush territory and speed limits were abolished. We travelled in convoys or sometimes by ourselves. Hence the need to protect ourselves.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Something about this doesn't ring true, as drunk and disorderly is only arrestable when committed in a public place. I suspect that the girl was arrested on the pretence of that 'offence' to remove her from the situation.

S
Then why did the police do nothing more about it?..
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:55 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Then why did the police do nothing more about it?..

Unable to prove there was any other wrongdoing? I have no idea - I wasn't there - I'm just questioning the accuracy of the story you posted, because it didn't sit correctly.

S
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
My parents moved from S.A. to Zim (the then Rhodesia) during the war before Zim gained independence. To travel to S.A. from there and back was ambush territory and speed limits were abolished. We travelled in convoys or sometimes by ourselves. Hence the need to protect ourselves.
Sounds like a fair reason. Gun ownership in those conditions is acceptable I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.