British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   scattering ashes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/scattering-ashes-739904/)

carolinephillips Nov 23rd 2011 9:43 pm

scattering ashes

Hi, does anyone know if we need a license or forms to fill in if we scatter dad's ashes at sea or on a headland overlooking the sea?
Off to the UK for his funeral and sister has said we can have some ashes to take back.:unsure:

rozellem Nov 23rd 2011 10:26 pm

Re: scattering ashes

I copied and paste this from another forum.

Here is the procedure when taking human ashes with you to Australia. (Thanks to Australian Customs)

1. The original container the ashes was delivered in to you should be left in tact. This refer to both plastic packaging inside as well as the wooden box.
2. Seal this original container in an air tight container.
3. Attach the Death certificate (original or verified copy thereof) of the deceased person to the outside of air tight box.
4. Attach the cremation certificate (only original or verified new version from the company that did the cremation if you lost the original) to the outside of the air tight box as well.
5. Take package as part of your hand luggage.
6. On arrival, declare your package to customs, whom will then help you fill in the correct forms on the spot.
7. Be prepared to leave the ashes behind for further inspection if decided on by Australian authorities. The ashes will be returned to you soonest possible.
8. No tampering or disrespect when dealing with human remains will be allowed or tolerated and will be referred to the Federal Police for investigation if evidence of such acts gets reported.
9. The wooden box will be checked like any other wooden object brought into Australia and may be send for fumigation or destruction. The costs occurred with this will be for your own pocket.
10. The ashes may be subject to further investigation if an illegal substance shows up in any test results taken from the package and its contents. Contaminated ashes will be handed over to federal Police for further investigation.

Questions should be referred directly to Australian customs on their website.

Pollyana Nov 24th 2011 1:57 am

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 9750896)
Hi, does anyone know if we need a license or forms to fill in if we scatter dad's ashes at sea or on a headland overlooking the sea?
Off to the UK for his funeral and sister has said we can have some ashes to take back.:unsure:

Been mentioned on here several times in the past, several people have done it, and as long as you go by the rules in Rozellem's post you'll be fine.

moneypenny20 Nov 24th 2011 9:49 am

'Some'? Ok that's just weird :blink: Sorry :unsure:

Hope it all goes as well as it can Caroline:fingerscrossed:

Jan4kids Nov 24th 2011 10:51 am

I brought my Mums ashes back with me. I had to have them in their original sealed casket(with some kind of special lining for air travel) with the closures covered in tamper evident tape that was signed by the U.K Funeral Director...plus a plethora of legal documents. I was also told to shout ahead at all security screenings that I had 'Human Remains' with me (I got stared at alot :unsure:) It wasn't that hard to do but had a kind of black comedy air to it....my Mum would have found it amusing I'm certain :o

I was going to scatter her under our pool...as she drunkenly laughed and told me on her last visit.....'Do want you want with the money, I'll be dead, I won't care' but couldn't do it.....so there she sits on the display cabinet :blink::unsure: So I can't help you with the scattering details. I actually have plans to take her back one day and scatter her over a favourite childhood haunt, as I didn't realise quite how much it meant to her 'til after her passing.

Stay stong and best wishes,

Jan

paulry Nov 24th 2011 5:34 pm

I'm not sure about Australia but in the UK I don't think you need to.

Safe trip home x

moneypenny20 Nov 24th 2011 9:25 pm

There's actually a website devoted to the issue in the UK. :)

And here's the NSW take on things.