RIP Muhammad Ali

Old Jun 5th 2016, 7:49 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RIP Muhammad Ali

I've never watched a boxing match in my life, but I was sad to hear Muhammad Ali had died. Parkinson's is a horrible disease but he didn't let it stop him making public appearances and being the consummate showman he's always been.

He was larger than life, extremely talented in his field, entertaining every time he opened his mouth, and so much more intelligent than people might think on first glance.

Rest in peace, Black Superman.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I'm not ill-informed mate. His views were as public as his fighting. But he never promoted genocide and did not avoid the draft because of his religion. I honestly don't know why anyone would use the argument of 'draft dodging' against someone, regardless of the war or religious views. But it's not surprising coming from you as you are always quite ignorant.
Lets talk about Ali shall we ..... warts and all. Or can't you do that without throwing insults?
Old Jun 5th 2016, 8:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

He threw his olympic gold into the Ohio river, in protest at the American segrigation of black people. He rather famously replied when asked why he wasn't going to fight in Vietnam 'No Viet Cong ever called me nigger' Like I say, courage of his convictions. A rare man
Old Jun 5th 2016, 8:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Neither do I

I just pointed out some of Ali's flaws whilst also praising him as a great man - nothing wrong with that IMO. Plenty of the people that I admire had/have many flaws

Other's chose to go personal. Not me

Peace
In fairness, my post wasn't bearing you in mind, it was balanced and true, I have no problem with that
Old Jun 5th 2016, 8:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
In fairness, my post wasn't bearing you in mind, it was balanced and true, I have no problem with that
Cool and no worries

He was a great man, no question

He transcended sport and became an icon of the 20th century

Float like a Butterfly, sting like a Bee - one of the greatest sayings ever spoken
Old Jun 5th 2016, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

If you like balanced than you'll be able to admire his many great qualities and be fair about those that were bad. His early on vendetta against white people was just as bad as those who persecutes black people. Thankfully the great man was able to "balance" as he got older.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Beoz
If you like balanced than you'll be able to admire his many great qualities and be fair about those that were bad. His early on vendetta against white people was just as bad as those who persecutes black people. Thankfully the great man was able to "balance" as he got older.
The nation of Islam was criticized for white supremacist ideas, Ali never was except by association. He did refer to the white man as the devil, but amid those times, when blacks were second class citizens, that's hardly surprising.
I'm no apologist, but if you persecute a race long enough, they'll bite you, it doesn't take a genius to work that out.

However you want to slant it, he believed that black and white were equal, two of his closest friends Howard Cossell, and Angelo Dundee were white, and two famously vicious attacks were on Ernie Terrell (What's my name?) And Joe Frazier (Uncle Tom) , both of whom were black, and don't forget Ali and Frazier were firm friends, the Uncle Tom bit (and in general his big mouth), was another weapon in Ali's arsenal. He never hated anyone, he hated the ideals of segregation and oppression, as indeed most people do today.

He was way ahead of the curve, perhaps more people should have listened to him at the time instead of posthumously.

By the way, I won't be inviting you to my Dad's funeral, don't want you arguing with anyone making a speach about how lovely he was (He's not dead by the way haha)
Old Jun 5th 2016, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

He did refer to the white man as the devil, but amid those times, when blacks were second class citizens, that's hardly surprising.
There we go, a very sweeping, racist statement that he no doubt regretted in later life.

RIP the greatest.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

RIP Big man. What a legend.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 1:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

When We Were Kings is on ABC tonight

Well worth a watch if you've never seen it
Old Jun 7th 2016, 3:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
When We Were Kings is on ABC tonight

Well worth a watch if you've never seen it
I've got that on DVD, and you're absolutely right, it's brilliant. Another one I think is superb is Ali with Will Smith. Smith is on the money IMO, and some great roles played by current boxers at time of filming. I thought James Toney and Michael Bentt were proper menacing. I'm still sad
Old Jun 7th 2016, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

"I'm so fast, when I turn out the light I'm in bed before it's dark" (or similar)
Old Jun 8th 2016, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee,
The fists can't hit what the eye can't see."

That second bit always gets left out.