Returning to the UK

Old Apr 13th 2017, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

fremantle will become famous soon enoughfremantle will become famous soon enough
Default Returning to the UK

Hi all
I can't believe it has been over four years since I last felt the need to post.
I was just wondering whether anybody could advise on the following circumstance.

I moved to australia in April 2009 and got married. I retained my house in the UK which has since been lived in by my daughter who has continued to pay the mortgage and bills.

Despite my love of Australia, things aren't going to well on the personal front. If I was to return to the UK to start my life back up again on my own, where would I stand in relation to selling my home in the UK and buying somewhere else in the UK to start afresh? I am thinking specifically in terms of capital gains tax. Would I have to live back in my home for a certain amount of time to avoid this or would I still be liable however long I moved back in before I sold it.

PS Happy Easter all !!
Old Apr 16th 2017, 12:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK

Originally Posted by fremantle
Hi all
I can't believe it has been over four years since I last felt the need to post.
I was just wondering whether anybody could advise on the following circumstance.

I moved to australia in April 2009 and got married. I retained my house in the UK which has since been lived in by my daughter who has continued to pay the mortgage and bills.

Despite my love of Australia, things aren't going to well on the personal front. If I was to return to the UK to start my life back up again on my own, where would I stand in relation to selling my home in the UK and buying somewhere else in the UK to start afresh? I am thinking specifically in terms of capital gains tax. Would I have to live back in my home for a certain amount of time to avoid this or would I still be liable however long I moved back in before I sold it.

PS Happy Easter all !!
Happy easter. Sorry to hear that it's not going well for you here. If you post your question in the moving back to the UK section I'm sure that someone will have an answer for you.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

fremantle will become famous soon enoughfremantle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Returning to the UK

Thanks Dorothy. I'll do that.