Ramadan

Old Jun 6th 2016, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ramadan

I recently saw a British cop show in which an Islamic police officer struggled to chase someone during Ramadan, and had to stop. He didn't have the energy.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aries
I recently saw a British cop show in which an Islamic police officer struggled to chase someone during Ramadan, and had to stop. He didn't have the energy.
Strange you should say that, we had a Muslim guy working with us quite some time ago. He said he was going to have to have a day off work, but he could only narrow it down to 1 of 2 days, said it was something to do with the phases of the moon. Me being my religiously insensitive self told him to go on Willy Weather web site.

I also remember there being a works meeting in the UK years ago, just prior to Christmas where they told us that working Christmas and Boxing day would get us triple time plus a day in Lieu. No problem there, til a Muslim guy put his hand up. I became possessed by the spirit of Enoch Powell and said 'hang on a minute, if he gets compensation for working a Christian religious festival, then the rest of us should get compensated for working Ramadan. One rule for all and that.

More related to this post however, was the Muslim fella working with us in WA, it gets effing hot up there even in winter, and not drinking during daylight isn't an option if you want to stay out of hospital, he tried it for one day, realised his religion was going to kill him, then decided to pick and choose which bits to abide by.

I've always been an atheist, but now more than ever, I'm losing all respect for anyone that isn't, where I used to stand up for them.

I'm basically a bit of an arsehole
Old Jun 7th 2016, 12:39 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1

I've always been an atheist, but now more than ever, I'm losing all respect for anyone that isn't, where I used to stand up for them.

I'm basically a bit of an arsehole

No, I get that. I've always been deeply suspicious of religion and its followers, and I am only getting worse with time. I generally regard it as a serious character flaw now, and tend to keep well away from religious types.

S
Old Jun 7th 2016, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
No, I get that. I've always been deeply suspicious of religion and its followers, and I am only getting worse with time. I generally regard it as a serious character flaw now, and tend to keep well away from religious types.

S
I agree. There is so mich bending the rules to suit. Religion just goes in the "too hard basket" for me.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 12:52 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I agree. There is so mich bending the rules to suit. Religion just goes in the "too hard basket" for me.
And don't get me wrong - I dislike all of them equally. There is no good religion, apart from perhaps The Force.

S
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:24 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Incidentally he preferred to microwave pork pies, secretly in the tea hut [I caught him red handed scoffing one]
sensible lad
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived through three years of ramadan in the Middle East. The first year was a killer as a was brand new to the UAE. The traffic was horrible and the school run was a two hour return trip, twice a day in 50 degree heat and I couldn't even drink water in my car. The next two were not so bad, I learnt which coffee shops had blacked out their windows and had marquees off back entrances so that people couldn't be seen entering or leaving or standing outside smoking. In Australia, apart from the odd Muslim that I've known that fasts during the day, things are no different. There is a pretty good festival in Brisbane at the Mt Gravatt oval in Brisbane during Eid though. Foods amazing and they have camel rides and fireworks and stuff. Don't know if it still happens, I haven't been for about nine years.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

And don't get me wrong - I dislike all of them equally. There is no good religion, apart from perhaps The Force.
Excuse me, but how dare you?! The Church of the FSM is infinitely superior to The Force - and all other religions. Of particular worth is the religious regalia worn by true devotees of the FSM. This article (at the link below) covers it, and a photo two thirds of the way down the page has a reverent photo of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Old Jun 12th 2016, 8:08 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Excuse me, but how dare you?! The Church of the FSM is infinitely superior to The Force - and all other religions. Of particular worth is the religious regalia worn by true devotees of the FSM. This article (at the link below) covers it, and a photo two thirds of the way down the page has a reverent photo of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Spaghetti, spaghetti everywhere, and not a drop of bolognaise sauce
Old Jun 13th 2016, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

S
Thank goodness for that. I was a little scared for a moment you had possibly stumbled across those with real character flaws. Followers of the neo liberal orthodoxy for example. A modern day religion for atheists that is taking the majority of the population on a hell of a ride . Now and in the future if not brought to heel.

Good policy to keep away from this religions varied collection of high priests as well. Be that bought politicians, banksters, real estate lobbyists and a host of other malcontents.

Religion in the more traditional sense looks far less scary in comparison. Islam for many of course being a way to give a meaning to the way live a life both possessing positives and negatives.

Another way to look at it perhaps is if no body believes in anything does that constitute a better, fairer life?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

How about a holiday in Australia to celebrate the end of fasting, Eid? Don't stop there let's celebrate Chinese New Year as well and the Hindu Devali.

Australia after all, increasingly suggests its definition as a nation is being a multi cultural state within a culturally diverse region. Instead of a well spun, somewhat meaningless term, why not live the talk?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Religion in the more traditional sense looks far less scary in comparison. Islam for many of course being a way to give a meaning to the way live a life both possessing positives and negatives.

Another way to look at it perhaps is if no body believes in anything does that constitute a better, fairer life?
You have switched the topic from believing in religions to believing in "anything". If people believed in a godless morality such as the Golden Rule, that probably would constitute a better and fairer life.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
You have switched the topic from believing in religions to believing in "anything". If people believed in a godless morality such as the Golden Rule, that probably would constitute a better and fairer life.

I think we have seen the result of post religion/belief in nothing/ but ego/ no spiritual substance what so ever (separate from religion of course) which all ads rather nicely to the place those in position to make things happen wish to take us.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Ironically, for the Trumps of this world religion is in the easy basket and gun laws is in the hard basket. i.e. it is easier to propose banning all Muslims from the USA than it is to have gun control within. 42,000 American citizens are killed by guns every year but you can bet what the focus will be on when 50 are shot by a 'Muslim' in Orlando.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Ironically, for the Trumps of this world religion is in the easy basket and gun laws is in the hard basket. i.e. it is easier to propose banning all Muslims from the USA than it is to have gun control within. 42,000 American citizens are killed by guns every year but you can bet what the focus will be on when 50 are shot by a 'Muslim' in Orlando.
Kind of goes without saying doesn't it. They banded sharp objects on planes because of Islam. They made you take your shoes off at airport scanners because of Islam. Sounds like another very good reason to have tighter gun control too. Need to take a good hard look at the root cause, whilst banning all the root methods for everyone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.