Ramadan

Old Jun 5th 2016, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ramadan

Well this is going to make the streets and shops very quiet around here over the next 30 days..... Lots of dates in the shops as well.

Does it make a difference in your life ?

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jun 5th 2016 at 11:47 am. Reason: English please.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 11:48 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ramadan

Bugger all difference - why would it?
Old Jun 5th 2016, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Bugger all difference - why would it?

Makes a big difference in the number of people out and about where I live. No queues in the many kebab shops....far more items on special mark down in the supermarkets...and like i said before massive piles of date boxes in the shops....much easievr to park in the shops car parks as well.

Just wondered if any other areas experienced a similar kind of downturn in commercial acti ity

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 5th 2016 at 5:43 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 6:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
http://www.webdesign2day.com/wp-cont...mdan-karim.jpg

Well this is going to make the streets and shops very quiet around here over the next 30 days..... Lots of dates in the shops as well.

Does it make a difference in your life ?

No, no difference at all.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. No matter where I have lived, I have never noticed any difference in daily life or commercial activity durung Ramadan.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Nope. No matter where I have lived, I have never noticed any difference in daily life or commercial activity durung Ramadan.
Makes a huge difference here along our restaurant strip on Sydney Rd Coburg....Goes from packed to empty. Even the Thai and Malaysian places around here are Muslim based....No alcohol generally speaking and no practising islamic customers during the daytime over Ramadan.... No queues at the Checkouts in the Supermarkets either. Surely this isn't the only place Australia or the UK like this ?

Lots of billboards, with the Happy Ramadan Arabic writing as well "رمضان سعيد" which I take to be a symbol these days, as the vast majority of people of all backgrounds sizes here know what it means.

I may take some photos

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 5th 2016 at 10:25 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 10:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Makes a huge difference here along our restaurant strip on Sydney Rd Coburg....Goes from packed to empty. Even the Thai and Malaysian places around here are Muslim based....No alcohol generally speaking and no practising islamic customers during the daytime over Ramadan.... No queues at the Checkouts in the Supermarkets either. Surely this isn't the only place Australia or the UK like this ?

Lots of billboards, with the Happy Ramadan Arabic writing as well.... which I take to be a symbol these days, as the vast majority of people of all backgrounds sizes here know what it means.

I may take some photos
I'm not surprised by the lack of customers in restaurants during the fasting hours, but I am by a lack of people in supermarkets. During Ramadan, Muslims eat pre-dawn, and break their fast after sunset (iftar). So they still eat and still have to shop, and they go about their daily business as usual.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

When I was working in the UK my colleague was into Ramadan. He used to hate celebrating Ramadan in the UK as the long summer days meant no food for longer periods. Poor bugger used to hit the wall about 3-4 in the afternoon. He looked physically ill and his productivity was shot.

Just noticed in the past few days one of my neighbours is doing a lot of praying. He was praying at 4am this morning. I was wondering if it was Ramadan. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 1:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a suburb where the largest religious group is Judaism...so no, not much difference!
Old Jun 6th 2016, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm not surprised by the lack of customers in restaurants during the fasting hours, but I am by a lack of people in supermarkets. During Ramadan, Muslims eat pre-dawn, and break their fast after sunset (iftar). So they still eat and still have to shop, and they go about their daily business as usual.

I'm fairly sure the diet is changed quite substantially...... Hence the whopping great piles of dates in the Shops.

Old Jun 6th 2016, 4:26 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fairly sure the diet is changed quite substantially...... Hence the whopping great piles of dates in the Shops.

http://www.qpi.net.au/images/medijool_s.jpg
Not really - many Muslims traditionally break the fast by eating three dates - but otherwise a lot of stews, finger food and deliciousness is going on at Iftar.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 6:36 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Not really - many Muslims traditionally break the fast by eating three dates - but otherwise a lot of stews, finger food and deliciousness is going on at Iftar.
What Dreamy said
Old Jun 6th 2016, 7:29 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What Dreamy said
Bizarrely, there's a lot of discussion about Ramadan on the myfitnesspal forums (mostly about how to manage their exercise while fasting through the day and how not to blow their calories during Iftar and Sehri/Suhoor ) but the descriptions of their feast food is... tempting, lol, to say the least.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:22 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
And Vimto apparently sales of Vimto rocket just before Ramadan. I read an article in a magazine at the doctors surgery so it must be true lol

With regard to the date consumption: One of my apprentices used to live with his devout Muslim parents [who owned a spar shop] he assured me dates are a very quick easy to digest sugar fix. They sold lots of dates during Ramadan, the only other time of the year they stocked them was Christmas.
Incidentally he preferred to microwave pork pies, secretly in the tea hut [I caught him red handed scoffing one]
Old Jun 6th 2016, 10:20 pm
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by cresta57
And Vimto apparently sales of Vimto rocket just before Ramadan. I read an article in a magazine at the doctors surgery so it must be true lol

With regard to the date consumption: One of my apprentices used to live with his devout Muslim parents [who owned a spar shop] he assured me dates are a very quick easy to digest sugar fix. They sold lots of dates during Ramadan, the only other time of the year they stocked them was Christmas.
Incidentally he preferred to microwave pork pies, secretly in the tea hut [I caught him red handed scoffing one]
I've told this story before but hey ho.

My grandad's funeral was catered by the ladies of the Co-op. My brother, a vegetarian, looked aghast at the food on offer, wondering what he could possibly eat.

'Have a sausage roll', one implored. 'Don't think there's much meat in those.'

Perhaps your apprentice justified his pork pie snaffling the same way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.