Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Qantas Perth - London non stop from 2018

Qantas Perth - London non stop from 2018

Old Dec 14th 2016, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas Perth - London non stop from 2018

Originally Posted by GarryP
Yeah, I saw that. It read to me as US airlines trying to excuse their terrible service by saying that their asian competitors (who are fast encroaching on US business) would have to give up being a good at service and decline to US airline standards. I doubt it - who the hell is going to be first to get rid of the wine and seat back TVs?
Looks like its those Chinese carriers giving Cathay the hard time.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation/flying-for-less-via-china-flood-of-cheap-airfares-deals-blow-to-global-carriers-20161214-gtat8h.html
Old Dec 14th 2016, 10:53 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Looks like its those Chinese carriers giving Cathay the hard time.

Flying for less via China: Flood of cheap airfares deals blow to global carriers
Chinese carriers have been doing that for years. Their problem is long delays changing planes, and poor service (eg no comprehensive seat back TVs). Have they been upping their game?

I was thinking more the Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, etc. airlines - who've been pushing into the US<>Asia/Europe routes of late.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 10:08 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly the biggest cost to airlines is fuel and most fuel is consumed on take off.
Don't know where you got that from! Did you mean that the burn rate is highest at takeoff? That would be obviously correct.

Extreme range flights have been on the cards for years but can come with attendant problems such as increased frequency of tech stops, offloadings due to weight and the like which can make the economics iffy.

The Qantas LHR - SYD direct demo years ago is often referenced: IIRC there were only a handful of souls on board, the aircraft was fuelled with specially cooled fuel and topped up at the end of the runway. And to the best of my recollection the arrival fuel state was a sixpence/halfcrown affair, too!

The latest jets are of course more fuel efficient: it will be interesting to see how the overall economics pan out.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Don't know where you got that from! Did you mean that the burn rate is highest at takeoff? That would be obviously correct.

Extreme range flights have been on the cards for years but can come with attendant problems such as increased frequency of tech stops, offloadings due to weight and the like which can make the economics iffy.

The Qantas LHR - SYD direct demo years ago is often referenced: IIRC there were only a handful of souls on board, the aircraft was fuelled with specially cooled fuel and topped up at the end of the runway. And to the best of my recollection the arrival fuel state was a sixpence/halfcrown affair, too!

The latest jets are of course more fuel efficient: it will be interesting to see how the overall economics pan out.
The internet. But your not disagreeing so we're all good then?
Old Dec 21st 2016, 1:32 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The internet. But your not disagreeing so we're all good then?
Ah - the internet!

Yes, I'm good although I wish I wasn't......
Old Dec 21st 2016, 3:56 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Fuel-wise it will be uneconomical to do such a long non-stop route.

But there might well be other savings, such as no airport stopover costs, charging higher fares for the non-stop, etc.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 9:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Some on here may be interested in these really low fares to Australia, ex-UK

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/289859

Good luck
Old Jan 31st 2017, 6:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Some very cheap flights to off the beaten track destinations in the UK

Dates are soon

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/290063
Old Jan 31st 2017, 8:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Some very cheap flights to off the beaten track destinations in the UK

Dates are soon

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/290063
I just checked out the Syd - Norwich - Syd with two stops in Doha and then an eight hour wait in Manchester. If they stop at Manchester, why bother with the last leg? It would be quicker to get 'home' from Manchester than hang around eight hours then an hour down to Norwich and then two+ hours to 'home'. For that price, if I was heading back I might think about it, even with having to fly down to Sydney it's still a bargain. Not sure about Qatar Air though.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I just checked out the Syd - Norwich - Syd with two stops in Doha and then an eight hour wait in Manchester. If they stop at Manchester, why bother with the last leg? It would be quicker to get 'home' from Manchester than hang around eight hours then an hour down to Norwich and then two+ hours to 'home'. For that price, if I was heading back I might think about it, even with having to fly down to Sydney it's still a bargain. Not sure about Qatar Air though.
I have flown Qatar a few.times. They are OK.

Question is, if you didn't board the return in Norwich, would that negate the rest of the flight?
Old Jan 31st 2017, 8:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

This deal isn't for everyone but might suit those on a really tight budget who don't care about some inconvenience

I would imagine that if you didn't complete the whole journey to your final destination, you might have problems on the return trip

I flew Qatar economy in 2015 and they were fine
Old Jan 31st 2017, 8:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This deal isn't for everyone but might suit those on a really tight budget who don't care about some inconvenience

I would imagine that if you didn't complete the whole journey to your final destination, you might have problems on the return trip

I flew Qatar economy in 2015 and they were fine
That's the problem. It just seems odd that they're offering a great price but if they're stopping in Manchester why bother with the Norwich bit? Before checking it out I was guessing they'd go via somewhere like Prague and The Netherlands before crossing over to Norwich, not straight to a major UK hub.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 8:56 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Never try and make sense of airfares!

If you didn't fly the Manchester to Norwich leg the rest of the ticket, the return portion, would be cancelled automatically.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 9:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

That's the problem. It just seems odd that they're offering a great price but if they're stopping in Manchester why bother with the Norwich bit? Before checking it out I was guessing they'd go via somewhere like Prague and The Netherlands before crossing over to Norwich, not straight to a major UK hub.
Like I said, a deal not for everyone

There is no rhythm and rhyme with airfares at times
Old Jan 31st 2017, 9:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Scoot currently have some sales fares like Perth to Athens for under $400 ow

Easyjet and Ryanair fly from the UK to Athens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.