Panic buying

Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:45 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Panic buying

It's ridiculous.

It's not definite that there will even be a strike! So far the pumps are being replenished daily. No need for panic buying at all. Hopefully people will have calmed down a bit today

The problem is, although we all know there is no need to panic buy, people still do it because of the run on the pumps. It's a vicious circle!
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kapri
It's ridiculous.

It's not definite that there will even be a strike! So far the pumps are being replenished daily. No need for panic buying at all. Hopefully people will have calmed down a bit today

The problem is, although we all know there is no need to panic buy, people still do it because of the run on the pumps. It's a vicious circle!
Well we were trying to rationalize it yesterday whilst it carried on boiling over.. surely once people have filled their tanks, limited silly journey's that they could do on foot instead of by car and filled over the legal amount in Jerry Cans surely it would calm down... it hasn't done yet.
We're keeping out the way. We filled my car (MPV) yesterday to the brim, and now my car sits on the drive waiting for us to go on holiday Tuesday, my concern is it's 307 miles, it's about 5 hours not including stops to get there and I don't want to add to that massive queue's to top up the tank.
it doesn't help that dads freakin out about it. He wants to of the children to travel with him but tried to make it clear yesterday he's not to freak them out.

I really do dislike politics and government, they always seem to know the best way to turn any situation into complete chaos.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:16 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Its just human nature, if we are told something might be in short supply the immediate reaction is to rush out and buy some.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chris955
Its just human nature, if we are told something might be in short supply the immediate reaction is to rush out and buy some.
Maybe i'm alien then, if we weren't going on holiday next week I wouldn't be going anywhere near the petrol station at all, kids would just have to make do with the back garden, fields out the back and local parks to play in.

When it snowed a few weeks ago there was panic about lorries getting deliveries to the shops so people went mad buying milk and bread :$
I like bread and milk don't get me wrong but could temporarily manage without them for a couple of weeks.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:55 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Im the same, back in 2008 i think truck drivers here were threatening to strike and within days there was no bread or milk to be had, if people just bought what they would normally there wouldnt have been an issue, human nature again

Originally Posted by Butterfly Bokeh
Maybe i'm alien then, if we weren't going on holiday next week I wouldn't be going anywhere near the petrol station at all, kids would just have to make do with the back garden, fields out the back and local parks to play in.

When it snowed a few weeks ago there was panic about lorries getting deliveries to the shops so people went mad buying milk and bread :$
I like bread and milk don't get me wrong but could temporarily manage without them for a couple of weeks.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:00 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a bit of road rage last night over the petrol "crisis."

Loooong line of cars waiting to get into petrol station, then a car on the other side tried to get in, nobody would let him, so the cars behind him trying to get past were beeping their horns, lots of shouting and yelling going on, the world has gone mad!!

I stick to Shank's pony myself.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:10 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

It seems there's a "Marmite" crisis in Kiwiland

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...s-run-out.html

NB: the Kiwi "Marmite" is different from the Pommie one.

Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
pasties now subject to 20% VAT. it's a weight loss initiative.
Why the hell do people only go on about pasties?. it's POSSIBLE that the government will put 20% VAT on hot take away food, but it's likely to be food served 'above the ambient temperature' which means that on a very hot day it may be that no VAT has to be added, but on a cold day it has, could be that prices in different parts of the country will be different due to the temperature. What a flucking recipe for disaster.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Why the hell do people only go on about pasties?. it's POSSIBLE that the government will put 20% VAT on hot take away food, but it's likely to be food served 'above the ambient temperature' which means that on a very hot day it may be that no VAT has to be added, but on a cold day it has, could be that prices in different parts of the country will be different due to the temperature. What a flucking recipe for disaster.
They like that though don't they - recipe's for disaster. I'm sure they all sat down and said they were sick of still hearing on the news about the riots, about child benefit, tax credit and were getting a hard time about the 'granny tax' hmmmm what can we do ahhhh we've not put the VAT up on food for a while

BINGO
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

today the government has now announced that people should not fill up.

We were at traffic lights today, next to a petrol station. Each pump had a hand written notice advising '£20 max fill'.

WTF?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pomster
today the government has now announced that people should not fill up.

We were at traffic lights today, next to a petrol station. Each pump had a hand written notice advising '£20 max fill'.

WTF?
Do you put a note underneath saying yeah I'll agree to only fill up to a max of £20 if you lower the price to 59.9 ppl?
Old Apr 1st 2012, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

As someone that never had a car in the UK and did 2 years living in a bit of the backwoods area in Oz without a car I really don't understand it. If you haven't got petrol you get public transport or get off your backside. My wife still doesn't drive and gets about ok including a 20km bicycle ride when needed.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:32 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
As someone that never had a car in the UK and did 2 years living in a bit of the backwoods area in Oz without a car I really don't understand it. If you haven't got petrol you get public transport or get off your backside. My wife still doesn't drive and gets about ok including a 20km bicycle ride when needed.
That's easier said that done though if you have 2 kids to get to 2 different places and then work to get to in the opposite direction. Where I lived in the UK it just wouldn't have been possible to do that.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 2:03 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster

WTF?
If the government emergency plan for fuel got activated, that's basically the level it would be everywhere, if you could get it (15 litres). I think they might even have a secondary level where you can only pay by card at the pump and it links through to who you are, limiting the total you can get per week.

Basically, long distance commutes would stop.

Not sure Australia has anything as sophisticated set up, but they could have copied the UK plan.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 9:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

At least one council seems to be taking measures just in case

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/get-your-sk...el-crisis.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.