Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Oscar Pistorius Appeal

View Poll Results: Will the conviction change on appeal Yes or No?
Yes
22.22%
No
77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Oscar Pistorius Appeal

Old Nov 1st 2014, 1:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oscar Pistorius Appeal

Originally Posted by Beoz
Well he did kill her. There's no disputing that. Not even from OP. So sure he's feeling guilty ..... No doubt about it. If someone accidently killed someone by drink driving or the like the relatives would have a good case to seek compensation. Same in this case. Let's call this compensation.
You make a good point, although I draw a distinction between using the legal system to apply for compensation, and the offender paying blood money to ease his guilt (and perhaps to water down any victim impact statements).

I can only go by what I would do in a similar situation - I wouldn't allow the bastard to get the slightest bit of relief from his guilt by voluntarily sending me money. I would, however, serve a writ against him in a civil court and sue the hell out of him. The money would be used to provide advice and support to women and men who were subjected to violence by their partners.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
She said it wasn't dolus eventualis was because he couldn't have known it was Reeva behind the door. Ignoring that he damn well could, it didn't matter who he thought was behind the door, the very fact that he knew someone was there, and that shooting four bullets across the cubical meant there was a good chance of killing someone, but did it anyway, is text book dolus eventualis.

She got it wrong.

And because she explained so much in depth her reasoning, everyone knows she got it wrong.
As I said, another judge could explain a murder conviction.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You make a good point, although I draw a distinction between using the legal system to apply for compensation, and the offender paying blood money to ease his guilt (and perhaps to water down any victim impact statements).

I can only go by what I would do in a similar situation - I wouldn't allow the bastard to get the slightest bit of relief from his guilt by voluntarily sending me money. I would, however, serve a writ against him in a civil court and sue the hell out of him. The money would be used to provide advice and support to women and men who were subjected to violence by their partners.
OK let's assume manslaughter as his conviction is. There's no winner here. OP has killed his girlfriend, he lives with that forever. A mother and father have lost their daughter. If it helps in the healing for both parties and the mother and father can get a financial win ..... Great .... It does help in some way in a bad situation. They could still file a civil suit against him and probably should for being a dick..
Old Nov 1st 2014, 8:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

OK let's assume manslaughter as his conviction is. There's no winner here. OP has killed his girlfriend, he lives with that forever. A mother and father have lost their daughter. If it helps in the healing for both parties and the mother and father can get a financial win ..... Great .... It does help in some way in a bad situation. They could still file a civil suit against him and probably should for being a dick..
I wouldn't help me, it'd make me sick and I'd want to ram the money down his throat and say 'vomit that!'.

We just have different opinions on this particular point.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 9:20 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

What if the person in the locked restroom had been an unarmed burglar?
Would the sentence have been any less?
He was in no immediate danger, and armed.
Murderous rage.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
What if the person in the locked restroom had been an unarmed burglar?
Would the sentence have been any less?
He was in no immediate danger, and armed.
Murderous rage.
Extremely good point. You would hope so as the conviction is based on that exact reason.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wouldn't help me, it'd make me sick and I'd want to didn't the money down his throat and say 'vomit that!'.

We just have different opinions on this particular point.
Would you say 'vomit that' if your relative was killed by someone who was reckless but didn't intend to murder? Just trying to take the whole murder v manslaughter argument out of it here.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 1:51 pm
Concierge

Would you say 'vomit that' if your relative was killed by someone who was reckless but didn't intend to murder? Just trying to take the whole murder v manslaughter argument out of it here.
Beoz, I can only say what I believe I would/wouldn't do as the parent of a child killed in the manner Reeva Steenkamp was. No idea what I'd do in an alternative scenario, but I suppose it would depend on the actual situation.

Mind you, there is the odd rellie that I'd pay to have bumped off.
waiting for the SWAT team now
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Beoz, I can only say what I believe I would/wouldn't do as the parent of a child killed in the manner Reeva Steenkamp was. No idea what I'd do in an alternative scenario, but I suppose it would depend on the actual situation.

Mind you, there is the odd rellie that I'd pay to have bumped off.
waiting for the SWAT team now
How much do you pay?