Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Oscar Pistorius Appeal

View Poll Results: Will the conviction change on appeal Yes or No?
Yes
22.22%
No
77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Oscar Pistorius Appeal

Old Oct 30th 2014, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oscar Pistorius Appeal

Will the conviction change on appeal - Yes or No?
Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oscar Pistorius Appeal

Nope- I think his family is rich and powerful enough to prevent justice being done.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Nope- I think his family is rich and powerful enough to prevent justice being done.
I tend to agree.

Hey, this has probably already been discussed but I missed it - is it true that Pistorius was sending Ms Steenkemp's family money every month throughout the trial? It's quite likely just a media fantasy, but I'd be interested to know if it was confirmed.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I tend to agree.

Hey, this has probably already been discussed but I missed it - is it true that Pistorius was sending Ms Steenkemp's family money every month throughout the trial? It's quite likely just a media fantasy, but I'd be interested to know if it was confirmed.
Apparently so, I'm such a tecnophobe that I'm unable to send the link, but he was paying them 6000 rand (£341) a month after they refused a one off payment of 375,000 rand (£21.000) calling it blood money! Since it emerged in court her parents have vowed to pay back every cent. Goggle the Guardian newspaper as the article is in there dated 14th October.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 4:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daisytreadlight
Apparently so, I'm such a tecnophobe that I'm unable to send the link, but he was paying them 6000 rand (£341) a month after they refused a one off payment of 375,000 rand (£21.000) calling it blood money! Since it emerged in court her parents have vowed to pay back every cent. Goggle the Guardian newspaper as the article is in there dated 14th October.
Thanks Daisy. What odd behavior - can sort of understand him sending them money (guilt? coercion?) but I can't for the life of me understand why Ms Steenkamp's parents would accept money from their daughter's killer.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond reputeDaisytreadlight has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Daisy. What odd behavior - can sort of understand him sending them money (guilt? coercion?) but I can't for the life of me understand why Ms Steenkamp's parents would accept money from their daughter's killer.
I know, they have only offered to pay it back since it came to light.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 8:26 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely that the SA justice system will overturn the previous rulking because that would be admitting they got it wrong. That plus the money Pistorius' family will deploy every which way they can to ensure that justice is not done. He should be spending a minimum of 5 years in prison and be treated just the same way as any other inmate.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 9:40 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Daisytreadlight
I know, they have only offered to pay it back since it came to light.
Not really a stellar example of seeking justice for your murdered daughter I don't understand how the hell they could accept money from him, although I do realize I don't know all the circumstances.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 9:44 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by paulry
Unlikely that the SA justice system will overturn the previous rulking because that would be admitting they got it wrong. That plus the money Pistorius' family will deploy every which way they can to ensure that justice is not done. He should be spending a minimum of 5 years in prison and be treated just the same way as any other inmate.
Can't help but agree. I've always thought manslaughter was defined as an entirely accidental act. Not sure how shooting someone four times while they're screaming can be construed as an accident - still, he's had his trial and that's what the judge decided.

Bring on the appeal judge, hope he/she is a hard b*stard.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 11:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a stellar example of seeking justice for your murdered daughter I don't understand how the hell they could accept money from him, although I do realize I don't know all the circumstances.
And writing a book about it as well. From what I understand Reeva's mother has written a book. Talk about profiting from your loss!
Old Oct 30th 2014, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The son of one of our neighbours in LA had murdered another boy at his school. She told me they had to pay the family 'a lot of money' which I found somewhat intriguing but didn't like to go into (he was convicted of murder). I think there may be a punitive aspect to it from the family's point of view.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 11:55 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I think it will get overturned on appeal.

It was clearly incorrect of the judge to not find him guilty of common law murder at the original trial, so the spotlight has been cast on that narrow aspect of law. It's kind of difficult for the SA 'justice' system to compound the error - mainly because people will then start talking openly about corruption.

On top of that, the claim is Pistorius's money has run out and the case is being sustained by a rich uncle. So there's a limit to how far the corruption can go.

It's maybe not as certain as it should be that he'll be going down for a 15 stretch, but I think on the balance of probabilities, given how obviously the original judge screwed up the law, he'll get found guilty at the appeal.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Well he did kill her. There's no disputing that. Not even from OP. So sure he's feeling guilty ..... No doubt about it. If someone accidently killed someone by drink driving or the like the relatives would have a good case to seek compensation. Same in this case. Let's call this compensation.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
I think it will get overturned on appeal.

It was clearly incorrect of the judge to not find him guilty of common law murder at the original trial, so the spotlight has been cast on that narrow aspect of law. It's kind of difficult for the SA 'justice' system to compound the error - mainly because people will then start talking openly about corruption.

On top of that, the claim is Pistorius's money has run out and the case is being sustained by a rich uncle. So there's a limit to how far the corruption can go.

It's maybe not as certain as it should be that he'll be going down for a 15 stretch, but I think on the balance of probabilities, given how obviously the original judge screwed up the law, he'll get found guilty at the appeal.
I thought the judge explained why she came to her decision with very good conviction based on the evidence provided and interpretation of the law. Another judge could also explain a murder conviction with the same degree of competence.

Not sure on this one. I suspect the whole evidence giving will be done all over again? Perhaps some new stuff will come to light.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 1:15 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I thought the judge explained why she came to her decision with very good conviction based on the evidence provided and interpretation of the law.
She said it wasn't dolus eventualis was because he couldn't have known it was Reeva behind the door. Ignoring that he damn well could, it didn't matter who he thought was behind the door, the very fact that he knew someone was there, and that shooting four bullets across the cubical meant there was a good chance of killing someone, but did it anyway, is text book dolus eventualis.

She got it wrong.

And because she explained so much in depth her reasoning, everyone knows she got it wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.