Nick Kyrgios

Old Aug 26th 2014, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nick Kyrgios

Agreed. We saw Nick win the Australian Open junior final in Jan '13.. He played (on Rod Laver Arena) another promising Aussie boy, Kokkinakis, who is a year younger and also one to watch. Rafter presented Kyrgios with the trophy afterwards. It looks like Pat was wearing his Bonds T-shirt then. We also went to the junior nationals the year before and Kyrgios was like the Pied Piper. He had about 15 boys and girls taking his lead as to what matches they would watch! We said then, that boy is a born leader and he is now 4 inches taller than Pat in this photo I took:

Old Aug 29th 2014, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

2nd round beat world #49 Seppi, plays Tommy Robredo in 3rd round.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nick Kyrgios the hottest ticket in New York
Old May 29th 2015, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interesting to return to this thread less than a year later. Tomic and Kyrgios are now both in the 20's of the world rankings and there's a new name to remember - Kokkinakis who has just become the first teenager since 2008 to reach the 3rd round of the French Open after coming from 2 sets down to beat Tomic and is odds on to be top 20 within a few years. The reward for Kyrgios and Kokkinakis reaching the 3rd round is they face Murray and Djokovic respectively. It's looking good for the future of the men's game with Tomic just over 20, Kyrgios 20 and Kokkinakis 19.

"World No. 84 Thanasi Kokkinakis once again showed why he has been billed as a rising star on the ATP World Tour as he clawed his way back from a two-set deficit and saved three match points to defeat fellow Australian Bernard Tomic on Thursday at Roland Garros.

With the 3-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 8-6 victory, 19-year-old Kokkinakis becomes the first teenager to reach the third round at Roland Garros since Ernests Gulbis (19) reached the quarter-finals in 2008."

Thanasi Kokkinakis Saves Three M.P. In Bernard Tomic Upset - Tennis - ATP World Tour
Old Jul 4th 2015, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No Cookies | Fox Sports News, Live Sport, Sports | Fox Sports

Wimbledon 2015: Everyone gets drawn into Nick Kyrgios' kaleidoscope of emotions - Tennis - Sport - The Independent
Old Jul 4th 2015, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I am afraid that I cannot warm to the brattish behaviour shown. Reminds me of a young Macenroe, (not sure if that spelling is right ) and I never liked him either.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I am afraid that I cannot warm to the brattish behaviour shown. Reminds me of a young Macenroe, (not sure if that spelling is right ) and I never liked him either.
Each to their own of course 'concerned SW19'.

What can't be denied is that he (and Dustin Brown who beat Nadal) have added excitement and a new dimension to the tournament. Sport needs good guys and bad guys and Kyrgios is both at times.

As I predicted this time last year he is destined for the top of the game (already in 20's) so providing he avoids injury we'd better get used to him.

In contrast Raonic (who is 7 in the world) did not utter a sound all match, showed no emotion and even came on court with his own white towels, eschewing the Wimbledon coloured ones - he's a 'nice boy' though and this appeals to many.

When Heather Watson played Serena Williams on centre court the commentators said we've never had singing like this on centre court, not even for Andy Murray. This was started up by 6 of the Fanatics who stayed on after the Tomic match. They even got the royal box up for the Mexican wave. No doubt some members choked on their Pimms and made disparaging comments about boisterous colonials.

Last edited by OzTennis; Jul 4th 2015 at 9:09 am.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Each to their own of course 'concerned SW19'.

What can't be denied is that he (and Dustin Brown who beat Nadal) have added excitement and a new dimension to the tournament. Sport needs good guys and bad guys and Kyrgios is both at times.

As I predicted this time last year he is destined for the top of the game (already in 20's) so providing he avoids injury we'd better get used to him.

In contrast Raonic (who is 7 in the world) did not utter a sound all match, showed no emotion and even came on court with his own white towels, eschewing the Wimbledon coloured ones - he's a 'nice boy' though and this appeals to many.

When Heather Watson played Serena Williams on centre court the commentators said we've never had singing like this on centre court, not even for Andy Murray. This was started up by 6 of the Fanatics who stayed on after the Tomic match. They even got the royal box up for the Mexican wave. No doubt some members choked on their Pimms and made disparaging comments about boisterous colonials.
The fanatics were shushed by the crowd. such rowdy behaviour is unwanted and more suited to a football match. It also shows the Aussies in a bad light, as they repeatedly chanted and sang out of tune despite being asked and then told by the officials to desist. You can be a character without breaking the rules or thinking in your arrogance that you are above them. I am glad also that Tomic got cut out of the Davis cup squad for his nasty comments.

I do not, and never have, lived in Wimbledon by the way. Why do you assume that everyone who appreciates good manners and sticking to the rules drinks Pimms. Some kind of reverse snobbery? Not all the attendees at the tennis are upper crust you know.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 8:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you Caroline, I think the 2 Aussie guys are sounding like petulant kids that need a good arse slap!
Old Jul 5th 2015, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Under normal conditions I cannot stand tennis. What a dull sport. I happen to switch in the TV a couple of nights ago when the Greek lad was having his moment. Great bounce of the racquet. Good catch by the spectator. I thought it was entertaining and made was is ordinarily a boring sport watchable.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 9:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
The fanatics were shushed by the crowd. such rowdy behaviour is unwanted and more suited to a football match. It also shows the Aussies in a bad light, as they repeatedly chanted and sang out of tune despite being asked and then told by the officials to desist. You can be a character without breaking the rules or thinking in your arrogance that you are above them. I am glad also that Tomic got cut out of the Davis cup squad for his nasty comments.

I do not, and never have, lived in Wimbledon by the way. Why do you assume that everyone who appreciates good manners and sticking to the rules drinks Pimms. Some kind of reverse snobbery? Not all the attendees at the tennis are upper crust you know.

There is a place for cheering and yelling and rowdiness, and that place is not at wimbledon during a match. Think of the players, they deserve quiet so they can concentrate and the officials should enforce it. If the Aussies want to get rowdy let them do it after the match, not while the guys are actually trying to focus on their playing.

Wimbledon is about tradition, respect, sportsmanship. Those lucky enough to be there should accept it. if some spectators can't deal with that then they should go to a different tournament.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A few responses:

'Concerned SW19' is a euphemism used to describe a Wimbledon traditionalist. I was being ironic about the Pimms.

I was referring to the Fanatics at the Watson match. Did you know who complained first to the stewards about the Fanatics for the Groth match? Roger Federer's wife, Mirka, who is well known in the game as a sh*t stirrer of the highest order and has caused much animosity towards Stan Wawrinka, Fed's fellow Swiss, who is the nicest guy you could meet in a month of Sundays but has the temerity to take some of Fed's spotlight and at one stage overtook Roger as the #1 Swiss.

I have been greatly involved over the years in the distribution of Wimbledon tickets and the way they are distributed guarantees that most of the centre court and No.1 court tickets do not go to 'Joe Public'.

When the Australian Open tickets go on sale later on in the year, providing you get in quick on the website, any of us can get tickets for any session on RLA or MGA - not the case with Wimbledon. My club gets 2 pairs of tickets for our over 300 members and you can only really get them by the public ballot where the odds are slim.

I've played at Wimbledon and fully understand what all the traditions mean. (I refused however to let the changing room stewards carry my bags and run my bath for me!!!) However, they are gradually bringing the tournament into the late 20th century e.g. they were NEVER going to put a roof over the centre court but they followed the Australian Open eventually. They are even going to add a 2nd roof. Common sense and commercial concerns eventually outweighed tradition.

The all white rule will go in time. It's farcical when Kyrgios, dressed totally in white apart from black Nike swooshes buys an official Wimbledon headband in the shop and wears it, only to be told he has to take it off - so he reversed it.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana

There is a place for cheering and yelling and rowdiness, and that place is not at wimbledon during a match. Think of the players, they deserve quiet so they can concentrate and the officials should enforce it. If the Aussies want to get rowdy let them do it after the match, not while the guys are actually trying to focus on their playing.

Wimbledon is about tradition, respect, sportsmanship. Those lucky enough to be there should accept it. if some spectators can't deal with that then they should go to a different tournament.
The Fanatics DO NOT, EVER, make a sound during play.

'Those lucky enough to be there' smacks of elitism.

The crowd weren't rowdy and don't cheer and yell for Andy and Heather and before that Tim and Greg??? Come on; what you are saying is it's ok to make a huge noise for a Brit at Wimbledon but not an Aussie (I think).
Old Jul 5th 2015, 10:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The Fanatics DO NOT, EVER, make a sound during play.

'Those lucky enough to be there' smacks of elitism.

The crowd weren't rowdy and don't cheer and yell for Andy and Heather and before that Tim and Greg??? Come on; what you are saying is it's ok to make a huge noise for a Brit at Wimbledon but not an Aussie (I think).
No, I'm saying that its not OK to make a racket () during play regardless of who is on court.

And 'lucky enough to be there ' means just that! They are lucky and I'm envious! Same as I am lucky to have a Lords ticket this year, Its not elitest, it just luck.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 5th 2015 at 10:59 am.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I like Kyrgios. His banter is tremendous. Good to have a few entertaining characters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.