Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Netflix, Stan or Kodi?

Netflix, Stan or Kodi?

Old Apr 11th 2017, 9:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix, Stan or Kodi?

Originally Posted by cresta57
Yeah shocking the amount of stuff available on there Another couple of question if you'll indulge me:
Regarding VPN's Are they legal? Will masking my I.P address stop all the websites that currently spam me with emails whenever I look at something? i.e I google a Kodi box and ebay email me asking if I want to buy one then ads appear on FB advertising them.
Big shit going on in the UK with fully loaded Kodi boxes being sold there and people getting the EPL for free. Amazon have banned them for sale on their Marketplace
Old Apr 11th 2017, 9:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Something I should add about Kodi - the massive repository of add-ons that are available.

You definitely should NOT add 'Exodus' as this will NOT give you access to an incredible amount of TV & film content. By adding this you CANNOT access all the sport, TV, film & music you wanted to, because this addon is NOT exactly above board and as an upstanding honest citizen I DO NOT condone the use of this addon AT ALL.

I DO however have the FilmOn.TV addon in Kodi, and with my VPN connection to the UK it makes it a breeze to watch my live TV and recorded programmes using nothing more than the regular TV remote in my hand. (This is a great feature - as long as your TV supports 'Pulse Eight CEC adaptor'.)
I prefer to call Exodus a grey area
Old Apr 11th 2017, 9:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by extrobe
If Kodi is something you're interested in - and as has been pointed out, there is a huge difference between what Kodi & Netflix actually 'do' - I would thoroughly recommend looking at Plex.

Plex started life as a fork (variation) of Kodi, but is very much it's own thing now. It doesn't have quite the wealth of customization & add-ons as Kodi, but brings with it more simplicity compared to Kodi - but also brings the ability to sync content to additional devices for offline viewing, as well as remote access, multiple user accounts (I have separate accounts for my children, so they only see what I've 'signed off'), and more.

Some of these extras require the paid-for version of plex, but it's a fairly modest fee.

I switched from many years using XMBC/Kodi, but been using Plex for a couple of years, and never looked back.
I use Plex too. I got it a few years ago when they had a massive discount on lifetime subscriptions
Old Apr 11th 2017, 10:07 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Big shit going on in the UK with fully loaded Kodi boxes being sold there and people getting the EPL for free. Amazon have banned them for sale on their Marketplace
I assumed they banned it because it was competition for their "firestick"
Old Apr 11th 2017, 10:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

I assumed they banned it because it was competition for their "firestick"
Not really because you could use a Fire TV Stick as a Kodi Box. I think it's because the FA and Sky are pissed off
Old Apr 11th 2017, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah shocking the amount of stuff available on there Another couple of question if you'll indulge me:
Regarding VPN's Are they legal? Will masking my I.P address stop all the websites that currently spam me with emails whenever I look at something? i.e I google a Kodi box and ebay email me asking if I want to buy one then ads appear on FB advertising them.
Which websites you looking at? Seems odd.

VPN is totally legal. My bog standard work laptop comes with one by default (pre loaded) to hook into the Virtual Private Network.

It become dodgy when you start using it to watch stuff out of the US or UK that some other company in your country has paid for.

For example, BBC make Top Gear but sold it to channel 9 in Oz, but if you were watching it through iplayer from Australia, then you are doing channel 9 out of your ability to watch their awful commercials. .... and because its channel 9, we don't care.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 12:46 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Which websites you looking at? Seems odd.

VPN is totally legal. My bog standard work laptop comes with one by default (pre loaded) to hook into the Virtual Private Network.

It become dodgy when you start using it to watch stuff out of the US or UK that some other company in your country has paid for.

For example, BBC make Top Gear but sold it to channel 9 in Oz, but if you were watching it through iplayer from Australia, then you are doing channel 9 out of your ability to watch their awful commercials. .... and because its channel 9, we don't care.
I'm looking at buying a small Drott/Dozer for doing some work around the property. Now I'm spammed by sites selling plant and machinery, ditto the Kodi box I googled for last week
Old Apr 11th 2017, 1:21 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at buying a small Drott/Dozer for doing some work around the property. Now I'm spammed by sites selling plant and machinery, ditto the Kodi box I googled for last week
Do you block adverts?
Old Apr 11th 2017, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Do you block adverts?
He said spammed with emails. Not sure how they are getting his email address unless he's entering it in websites. Just cruising websites should not give access to email addresses.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 10:20 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
He said spammed with emails. Not sure how they are getting his email address unless he's entering it in websites. Just cruising websites should not give access to email addresses.
One trick they can pull is to get your email address at one time for reasonable purposes (hey, you've formed a 'relationship'. Then when you visit another site and trigger an ad identify you from stored info (cookie/or other means) and what you are doing, and then send the email related to it.

Marketeers are evil, m'kay?
Old Apr 12th 2017, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by GarryP
One trick they can pull is to get your email address at one time for reasonable purposes (hey, you've formed a 'relationship'. Then when you visit another site and trigger an ad identify you from stored info (cookie/or other means) and what you are doing, and then send the email related to it.

Marketeers are evil, m'kay?
That sounds like what's happening, I bid on a machine a few months ago. Since then each one I look at gets me a mass of emails asking me to bid.
I didn't run any form of adblocker, I probably will need one now.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 3:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by extrobe
If Kodi is something you're interested in - and as has been pointed out, there is a huge difference between what Kodi & Netflix actually 'do' - I would thoroughly recommend looking at Plex.

Plex started life as a fork (variation) of Kodi, but is very much it's own thing now. It doesn't have quite the wealth of customization & add-ons as Kodi, but brings with it more simplicity compared to Kodi - but also brings the ability to sync content to additional devices for offline viewing, as well as remote access, multiple user accounts (I have separate accounts for my children, so they only see what I've 'signed off'), and more.

Some of these extras require the paid-for version of plex, but it's a fairly modest fee.

I switched from many years using XMBC/Kodi, but been using Plex for a couple of years, and never looked back.
I have both. Plex is very good but so is Kodi - each has their place. Plex is better and easier to use for accessing your own media and downloads, while Kodi is a better solution for streaming

I love the simplicity and ease of use of the Plex interface and how it brings all your media into one place

Anyway, whatever you are using - Plex, Kodi, Netflix, ES File Explorer etc, they are all better than 7, 9, 10 and Foxtel
Old Apr 12th 2017, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That sounds like what's happening, I bid on a machine a few months ago. Since then each one I look at gets me a mass of emails asking me to bid.
I didn't run any form of adblocker, I probably will need one now.
So is that ebay? If so see if you can change you notification settings in ebay.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 11:31 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you want an off the shelf all in one kodi solution, get this:
( Official International Version ) Original Xiaomi Mi TV Box-83.99 Online Shopping| GearBest.com
Just managed to get one of these through OzBargain/Light in the Box for around $85 plus $20 p&p - there is a free postage option if you want to wait about 3 weeks as well.

Done a fair bit of reading on Kodi, add-ons and Plex since this thread started, so looking forward to seeing how all this comes together. Mainly looking for UK TV access as happy to pay for Netflix and Prime. Already use a VPN, so hopefully by the weekend I'll have another option for TV viewing. Not too bothered about sport.

One question - is there any major difference between Schism and Exodus, or do they do basically the same thing/"channels"?

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 24th 2017 at 11:50 am. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 12:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Just managed to get one of these through OzBargain/Light in the Box for around $85 plus $20 p&p - there is a free postage option if you want to wait about 3 weeks as well.

Done a fair bit of reading on Kodi, add-ons and Plex since this thread started, so looking forward to seeing how all this comes together. Mainly looking for UK TV access as happy to pay for Netflix and Prime. Already use a VPN, so hopefully by the weekend I'll have another option for TV viewing. Not too bothered about sport.

One question - is there any major difference between Schism and Exodus, or do they do basically the same thing/"channels"?
Schism is a 'build' of Kodi - a kind of interface for the multitude of apps that are installed - one of them being Exodus. I have yet to find a better streaming option than Exodus - I''m all ears if there is one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.