Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

My continuing misadventures in the manly art of home maintenance

My continuing misadventures in the manly art of home maintenance

Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:57 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up My continuing misadventures in the manly art of home maintenance

I had to retire the old letterbox after its post was cracked by an inconsiderate driver.

I picked up a new one from Bunnings and added a shiny brass number. This was my first attempt at installing a letterbox. Great excitement!

Nice deep hole and a bucket of concrete.

Need to shovel some dirt over the concrete to make the ground level with the slab behind the letterbox.

Aside from that, I think it turned out OK.

Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My continuing misadventures in the manly art of home maintenance

Nice job!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Come and do mine- I've got an old wooden one that the ants like, and which swells in the rain so you can't open it!! (Low on the list of priorities however, till we have won the battle with the taxman who wants to charge us $7k - our accountants say they are incorrect.)
Old Mar 17th 2014, 10:00 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: My continuing misadventures in the manly art of home maintenance

Thanks guys.

I had a conversation about the letterbox with my son this morning.

Tom: 'Dad, you putted the new letterbox in, and you did "dig, dig, dig, dig", like that, and you putted some stuffs in to hold it there and then you putted it in!"
Me: 'Would you like to see the photos?"
Tom: 'Yeah!"
[I show him the gallery].
Tom: 'That's what I'm meaning about!'
[We flip through the photos. Tom provides commentary].
Me [pausing proudly at the last one] 'It looks nice, doesn't it?'
Tom: 'Yeah... and I need a wee.'

We sprint to the loo and arrive just in time.

He's four years old. They're priceless at this age.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:36 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Thanks guys.

I had a conversation about the letterbox with my son this morning.

Tom: 'Dad, you putted the new letterbox in, and you did "dig, dig, dig, dig", like that, and you putted some stuffs in to hold it there and then you putted it in!"
Me: 'Would you like to see the photos?"
Tom: 'Yeah!"
[I show him the gallery].
Tom: 'That's what I'm meaning about!'
[We flip through the photos. Tom provides commentary].
Me [pausing proudly at the last one] 'It looks nice, doesn't it?'
Tom: 'Yeah... and I need a wee.'

We sprint to the loo and arrive just in time.

He's four years old. They're priceless at this age.
Agreed, four is a great age. Enjoy those fabulous moments with your young children while they last. Tomorrow is mine and my wife's 20th wedding anniversary and we have two sons aged 19 and nearly 17. The time has flown, is some ways it feels like just yesterday that they were not much more than toddlers and just before that when it was just the two of us. Take loads of photos

PS: You've done a fine job with your letterbox. Let's hope no further cars collide with it
Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:42 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Take loads of photos
As if I need to tell you that
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:24 am
Fighting my corner

Oops, he's not four yet; he's still three. Turning four later this year.

His sister is four, turning 5 this week.

I must be a parent: I can't remember my own son's age!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:16 am
Banned

Nope, it means you're getting older. Give it another decade or so and you also won't remember your own age. 45 seems to be the tipping point where men stop counting.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:21 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go, if you want to bling it slightly (and if it's dark when you check you mail).

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sola...x-Light-for-1/

It's actually fairly simple to put a small bit of illumination behind the number as well (another garden light, stripped down).

You can also setup a detector so that when the postie finally delivers some mail (about 3 in the afternoon) it will alert you (hell, you can get it to email you).

It's the manly thing to do.....
Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:36 am
Fighting my corner

Haha, that's a nifty trick!

Old Mar 18th 2014, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one....maybe you can graduate to fence posts now
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:24 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks fab. If you need more practice, we could do with a new one. Just pop up the hill when you're ready
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:11 pm
Fighting my corner

I had enough blood, sweat & tears with this one thanks!

Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

We have a brick fence so I built a large brick mail box behind it, at the top of the fence is a 90mm slot the width of 2½ bricks, there's a concrete slab on top of it. I call it our three month mailbox, we did have a trip of that length and it was only about half full, a few neighbours were a bit miffed because we had a few items of wrongly delivered mail. The whole thing is quite waterproof and it is much approved by the Posties who find it easy to use, I did consult them before I built it. We still get dumbos like real estate agents and couriers who leave their notes stuck to our front door, they are saying this house is empty, come and break in.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I did some DIY whilst my OH is away- finally got a new loo seat that fitted, built a shoe rack and did some grouting in the ensuite. Now looking much neater. However I did have to get a plumber in to fix the loo which sounded like a foghorn each time you flushed it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.