Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Modern slavery? Let us change it! Parents visa

Modern slavery? Let us change it! Parents visa

Old Jun 23rd 2016, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Leonella is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Modern slavery? Let us change it! Parents visa

Hello everyone! Have not been here for a while. I have a friend from NZ and they have a completely different immigration rules for the parents of the NZ citizens. I am honest, I see a parental immigration a total rip of by the government. We are the citizens and we need to change this. We need to sign petition and have parent visas to be more affordable and free visas should be less waiting time. 30 years a queue- Is it a joke?
My plan is we need to make a petition about changing the waiting time for our parents, make a group who could initiate a document and everyone can send to their local MPs. I know that is possible to do that way if we want changes. I know people who did pursue some changes in that way.
We live here paying taxes and we are limited by government to have our parents here! Please tell me, who is fed up of the rip off and wants changes? We just need to start and give it a kik, and then see how it goes, we loose nothing, but can make a change, huge change! Thanks for reading

Leonella
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Modern slavery? Let us change it! Parents visa

Your taxes are to cover you, not your parents, not even your children as they will pay taxes of their own in due course. They, like everyone, will repay for the education they received and will pay in advance for the healthcare needed in later years.

People that have not spent a working life in Australia have contributed nothing to the system through direct taxation over the years, hence there is a large fee. It is rational and can be justified.

Emigrating requires a level of independence from parents and siblings and extended family. When considering emigrating, one has to assume that parents and extended family cannot be brought along.

Suggest you look up the definition of slavery too.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jun 23rd 2016 at 5:47 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Dear Bermuda shorts why then NZ , UK , USA is not charging over 42 000 $ for a visa? Are you serious? If you are happy to pay or wait over 30 years then pease do not contribute to the adjustments, I personally think there should be a change
Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Your taxes are to cover you, not your parents, not even your children as they will pay taxes of their own in due course. They, like everyone, will repay for the education they received and will pay in advance for the healthcare needed in later years.

People that have not spent a working life in Australia have contributed nothing to the system through direct taxation over the years, hence there is a large fee. It is rational and can be justified.

Emigrating requires a level of independence from parents and siblings and extended family. When considering emigrating, one has to assume that parents and extended family cannot be brought along.

Last edited by Leonella; Jun 23rd 2016 at 5:52 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You're not limited in the least, you can choose to help your parents with their CPV if they are unable to afford it themselves and you can make that a savings priority. I don't think there should be open slather for people who just fancy moving over in old age, no. That other countries don't charge that much is neither here nor there - if you want to have your parents with you, you have the choice to move to one of those other countries where your parents might find it easier to trot off after you. Nobody is saying your parents cannot get a visa, everything comes at a cost and you knew that before you moved to Australia I suppose.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but this argument has been had before. I think modern slavery has nothing to do with this.

There is a good reason for the fee, older people will take out of the system more than they put in as the years go by. If it were free then no doubt people would be up in arms that people could come and get all the benefits without paying into the system. The charges are to protect Australians and PR residents in the long run as they would otherwise find that resources were stretched to support more people especially those older people who had not contributed for the decades that residents have.

USA doesn't charge the same but doesn't provide free medical care in the same way or allow access to pensions. Other countries are considering a similar sort of charge. The UK has already started with a health care levy for some migrants, granted it isn't high but it will increase..........

When people migrate they should know the rules. Oh and by the way apparently the non contributary visa are taking about 10 year according to a well respected agent, I think the processing time quoted is to discourage more applicants.

Australia wants economically active migrants who will be working for many years and contributing to the economy, or has made no secret of this and the policies are based around this.

I agree it is a lot of money all at once but less than they would have contributed in taxes along the way.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 8:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I actually think it's very sensible personally. I think that the other countries that don't do something similar have it wrong, not the other way around!

It seems daft to me that, using Canada as an example, one cannot sponsor an adult child who would be much more likely to contribute to the economy and pay lots of taxes over their lifetime, but can sponsor a parent or even grandparent who is unlikely to work but will take lots out in terms of healthcare etc.

JMO though......
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 9:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

New Zealand

Takes around 3 EOI pulls to be pulled and then time to process. Look at 2 years +

Originally Posted by Tier One

To meet the requirements for tier one, you must either:

have a guaranteed lifetime income of NZ $27,584 a year (if you’re single)
have a guaranteed lifetime income of NZ $40,523 a year (if you have a partner)
bring NZ $500,000 of funds to New Zealand for your New Zealand settlement
have a sponsoring child with an annual income of NZ $65,000 or more on their own
have a sponsoring child with an annual income of NZ $90,000 or more, if combined with their partner’s income.

Evidence of a guaranteed lifetime income includes pensions or any other ongoing payments that’ll continue to be paid to you if you move to New Zealand.

Evidence of settlement funds may include:

bank statements
asset valuations.

If we approve your application in principle based on your settlement funds, we’ll also need to see your telegraphic transfer documents showing you have transferred your funds to New Zealand.

Evidence of your sponsoring child’s income may include:

tax summaries from Inland Revenue
pay slips
bank statements
tax returns.
Likely wait at least 7 years if not more depending if quota filled by Tier one. It is usually filled.

Originally Posted by Tier 2
To meet the requirements for tier two:

your sponsoring child must have an annual income of NZ $33,675
any other adult children you have must live in a different country from you.

If you’re invited to apply for residence, we’ll ask you to provide evidence of your sponsoring child’s income, which may include:

a tax summary from Inland Revenue
pay slips
bank statements
tax returns.

We’ll ask you about your other family when you submit your expression of interest.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 9:20 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leonella
Dear Bermuda shorts why then NZ , UK , USA is not charging over 42 000 $ for a visa?
I don't think you can bring your non-EU parent to the UK at any price, unless they meet this criteria:

Adult dependent relative

You must be dependent on a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK.
You must prove that:
you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability or your age
the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in
the person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years
you’re 18 or over

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility

I do have some sympathy for you regarding missing your parents, but as a migrant myself they're the choices we make when we decide to move countries.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 9:24 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

Suggest you look up the definition of slavery too.
Agree 100% with you here.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 9:26 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Agree 100% with you here.
Me too, great post BS
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Bermuda shorts why then NZ , UK , USA is not charging over 42 000 $ for a visa? Are you serious? If you are happy to pay or wait over 30 years then pease do not contribute to the adjustments, I personally think there should be a change
The U.S. does not provide a comprehensive healthcare program for its citizens or residents. What US, NZ or any other country decided to do is up to them. This is Australia's choice and it is rational.

And yes I would be prepared to pay or wait 30 years or the third option, I wouldn't move at all. I certainly wouldn't be complaining of slavery.

When you start a thread you cannot guarantee that you will only get responses agreeing with you. And I will contribute where I see fit. Maybe you could try reporting all the answers that you don't like.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Slavery in a sence that people are forbidden to freely live where they want. Basically I get the message that everyone here is happy to pay huge ammount just because they have enough money. Ok . I will probably need to go to Indian expat and other countries expats maybe they illbe more supportive.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Slavery in a sence that people are forbidden to freely live where they want. Basically I get the message that everyone here is happy to pay huge ammount just because they have enough money. Ok . I will probably need to go to Indian expat and other countries expats maybe they illbe more supportive.
Oh dear, a no borders supporter. Countries have borders, it would be anarchy without and countries have a duty to their citizens to police those borders and determine who moves in and who doesn't. Nothing at all to do with slavery! Nobody is stopping your parents from paying for the privilege of living in Australia. It's not like someone has said "No way can you come and live here", there are avenues.

You will probably find that Indian expat boards are full of dutiful kids who work like billy oh and club together to find the wherewithal for the CPV for their parents, it's the choice that they, as a family, make.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Being unable to live in whatever country you want is not slavery in any sense whatsoever. If it were, well then everybody on the planet is a slave because none of us can pick a spot on the globe and just move there.

I have no idea whether anyone on the thread can afford a CPV or not and neither do you. It is not the point, this is about principle not personal circumstances.

If you wanted to live near your parents, you could have done so in the UK (assuming that is where you and they are from).

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jun 23rd 2016 at 11:21 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 12:05 pm
Concierge

Leonella people can't just live wherever they want, the world doesn't work that way, it never has and never will.

You have every right to petition your local MP if you feel it would do some good. Just a bit of advice though, if you want your petition to be read and not just tossed aside at first glance, do be careful about using words such as 'slavery'. Not being able to do whatever you want isn't slavery, in any sense of the word. It's just - not being able to do what you want. It happens to all of us!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.