Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne most liveable city for 6th year in a row.

Melbourne most liveable city for 6th year in a row.

Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne most liveable city for 6th year in a row.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Never confuse a great place to visit with a great place to live!
Yes, that's why I said I know visiting is not like living.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Everyone's different but

- great job opportunities
- beautiful beaches within a short commute to the city
- easy access to sea, snow and country
- great city never to get bored in with loads going on the whole time.

would be a good start as to why I love living here.
that's great you love loving there and I'm glad you're happy there - but Melb is absolutely 100% not for us. We enjoy visiting country VIC but that's it. Melbourne is horrible... but everyone's different I know.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
I know it's not rated on climate alone. It was a joke. The days my face was feeling frostbitten in Alberta, it did not feel liveable, no matter the population density, infrastructure, or arts and culture.

I know many Calgarians who love living there and wouldn't dream of residing elsewhere. Good for them. Wouldn't work for us. Last time we spent 4 weeks in Edmonton during the winter, our kids were begging us to rebook our flights back to Australia so we could go home early because they were sick of us dragging them out to play outside in -20 and telling them "It's not that cold." They weren't buying it.
Yep, agreed and understood, I was just making a general point on the back of your comment on Calgary and why is it in the list. No place ticks every box of course and it is difficult to quantify what is to a lot of people a very subjective thing but the EIU is making an attempt, as with their Cost of Living index for cities because they sell their research.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Yeah. I had a good chuckle at Calgary. It didn't feel too liveable on those days with a -35 windchill.
Yep. It can get mighty cold, but it does have some of the worlds best skiing up with road. Its not a bad place, in my opinion nothing too notable as a city.

I did find a local native (not sure what the latest political correct name is these days - I can't keep up with the latest trends on that) asleep under my car seeking warmth one evening. Had to shoooo him away before I could drive the car. Poor bugger was so boozed up.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yep. It can get mighty cold, but it does have some of the worlds best skiing up with road. Its not a bad place, in my opinion nothing too notable as a city.

I did find a local native (not sure what the latest political correct name is these days - I can't keep up with the latest trends on that) asleep under my car seeking warmth one evening. Had to shoooo him away before I could drive the car. Poor bugger was so boozed up.
I'll let you away with local native although one of my friends (also Metis) and I had a recent discussion about the Aboriginal vs Indigenous label in bureaucratese and which departments were going in what direction.

Still not too keen on moving back. My friends are posting right now about the leaves starting to change and someone reported snow flurries around Kananaskis. It's August, ffs. It just reminds me that living there, you get a couple of decent weeks in September (there, that was autumn, did you enjoy all 14 days of it), and then it's just the long descent into dark and snow until April. If folks like it, more power to them.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne does it for me. There are different spots whatever take your mood. I spend a fair amount of time near uni campuses up the north end (stop sniggering at the back) and near Carlton etc. there are places where on any given day or evening you can do whatever it is that you do: whether it's food, sport or the Arts.

There are different pockets : no one makes you hang around in the touristy homeless section which is parts of Swanston outside all the fast food shops : a bizarre section of town etc. Any larger city has a bit of crime.

Think it's obvious that mid size cities with just enough going on with access to sport and the arts tend to win the competition : you have to remember that UK cities are tiny in world terms. London has always been huge by comparison to the rest and tends to hog the focus.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Melbourne does it for me. There are different spots whatever take your mood. I spend a fair amount of time near uni campuses up the north end (stop sniggering at the back) and near Carlton etc. there are places where on any given day or evening you can do whatever it is that you do: whether it's food, sport or the Arts.

There are different pockets : no one makes you hang around in the touristy homeless section which is parts of Swanston outside all the fast food shops : a bizarre section of town etc. Any larger city has a bit of crime.

Think it's obvious that mid size cities with just enough going on with access to sport and the arts tend to win the competition : you have to remember that UK cities are tiny in world terms. London has always been huge by comparison to the rest and tends to hog the focus.
I can remember in my Uni days what it was like in Carlton. One thing I remember vividly was the old guy in the suit with a carnation who used to go from shop to shop and restaurant to restaurant with his briefcase. I won't say more other than similar scenes were/are played out in Calabria.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game

that's great you love loving there and I'm glad you're happy there - but Melb is absolutely 100% not for us. We enjoy visiting country VIC but that's it. Melbourne is horrible... but everyone's different I know.

Rosebud, and it's environs which is basically part of Melbourne is a lot like Bunbury and that area SW of Perth is very similar to the Mornington peninsular.

Frankston probably isn't that much smaller than Perth's CBD come to think of it
Old Aug 25th 2016, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Rosebud, and it's environs which is basically part of Melbourne is a lot like Bunbury and that area SW of Perth is very similar to the Mornington peninsular.

Frankston probably isn't that much smaller than Perth's CBD come to think of it
I'm not a huge fan of Perth either!
Old Aug 25th 2016, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
I'm not a huge fan of Perth either!

People take the pee out of Frankston here to be honest...

It's not the worst place I've been though.... I thought Kings Park is the best example of a city park I've ever seen.

The rest of it was slightly plastic I will admit....but it's a new place a lot like some of Brisbane.