Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - Does it have a problem?

Melbourne - Does it have a problem?

Old Jan 7th 2018, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne - Does it have a problem?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Sure Oak. The sooner a fascist state comes into play the more your happiness scale will rise. Just a shame about the rest of us.

Deportation has been a method in use for some years. Nothing new. As I said nothing but politics. Anybody would think Victoria has an election coming up. ....Oh wait a minute........
A Singaporean type public service would have a different impact

Current public servants would not qualify in first instance
Old Jan 7th 2018, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

The gang issue should not be viewed in isolation. Australia does have a problem in general with youth discipline, ranging from gangs to school behaviour.

The judicial system is heavily criticised by the public for taking a revolving-door approach to youth crime, including things like judges insisting that juvenile offenders be released for school holidays etc which have predictable results.

It wasn't always like this.

In schools themselves, students cannot be excluded, no matter how violent they are (this also includes assaulting teachers in addition to other students). Every now and again you will read about a case in the papers of some violent offender being kept at a school over parents' objections, whom the education department has told to piss off.

That is of course just what you read in the papers, the tip of the iceberg.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that in parts of Melbourne the police have taken the same "boys will be boys" attitude towards gangs, and tell the victims to just harden up. While Dutton was engaging in hyperbole by saying that Melbourians were afraid to go out to eat, there are neighbourhoods that at night are quite dodgy, and shame on the Police and media for trying to pretend this isn't happening (and, that judge was quite horrible for tweeting that there wasn't a problem because things were A-OK at the mountain resort he's holidaying at). Hey, public: Don't believe your lying eyes.

There is a lot of anger building in Australia about this, has been for quite a while, and the elites and media class are too out-of-touch to see it. It's common knowledge in the regions that in some rural and Outback locations, some groups are taking matters into their own hands regarding youth offenders because the Police won't deal with it. We just left one rural town for another rural town, but in the one I just left, there was a big youth crime problem, and if you lived in town it was considered just a matter of time before your house got broken into (and if you lived on a farm, your shed would be raided).

So, yeah, it's a problem, though perhaps right now the focus is a little too narrow.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Juvenile delinquency has long been an issue in Australia. As for outback towns, it has always appeared to be an out of sight, out of mind scenario being played out.
As most Australians never see the problems there is little onus on repair. Hence the drug issues, glue sniffing, violence and anti social behaviour goes unabated.

I certainly agree there is a lot of anger brewing. I'm not so sure the direction it is being focused though.
The elites as always have own agenda at play and government as well, only acting when hand forced to do so.

I must admit I wouldn't be a teacher for quids. But are young people generally worse in behaviour than previous generations? I personally think not. But what I do think is the fracturing in the sense of equality within society has resulted in many more feeling ostracized and limited hope. Of course this will play out in anti social behaviour and undesired consequences within society.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 3:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
The gang issue should not be viewed in isolation. Australia does have a problem in general with youth discipline, ranging from gangs to school behaviour.
And it's not just restricted to Australia too - most of the Western world has problems with young wankers causing problems, crime and anti-social behaviour

Decades of namby pamby, multicultural and PC polices and not requiring people to take responsibility for their actions are the cause
Old Jan 7th 2018, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Juvenile delinquency has long been an issue in Australia. As for outback towns, it has always appeared to be an out of sight, out of mind scenario being played out.
As most Australians never see the problems there is little onus on repair. Hence the drug issues, glue sniffing, violence and anti social behaviour goes unabated.

I certainly agree there is a lot of anger brewing. I'm not so sure the direction it is being focused though.
The elites as always have own agenda at play and government as well, only acting when hand forced to do so.

I must admit I wouldn't be a teacher for quids. But are young people generally worse in behaviour than previous generations? I personally think not. But what I do think is the fracturing in the sense of equality within society has resulted in many more feeling ostracized and limited hope. Of course this will play out in anti social behaviour and undesired consequences within society.
Oh to be an elite..does anyone know what it is like to be elite..(seriously, it always seems to be someone else)..anyone on BE an elite? Just canvassing...genuine question as people are often talking about them and us.

Ring in, SMS..I have a chuckle / contribution...but not yet..
Old Jan 7th 2018, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Oh to be an elite..does anyone know what it is like to be elite..(seriously, it always seems to be someone else)..anyone on BE an elite? Just canvassing...genuine question as people are often talking about them and us.

If elite refers to people self absorbed with selfies on themselves going to the toilet pretty much prefer being a hermit.

If elite refers to someone giving Weinstein a scrotum slap or doing other good work?

I don't think its in which camp. I think its in the person and what values they maintain in journey either way
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Western Australia teachers threaten industrial action unless Education Department does more about violent students:

https://thewest.com.au/news/educatio...-ng-b88707446z

The Education Deptartment bureaucrat in the story says that attacks may come from "students with disabilities" who are unaware of what they are doing. This is a bait-and-dodge - and one used by other officials - as certainly the incidents that are common knowledge had nothing to do with special needs students. The Education Department, like the Police, just don't want to deal with this.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 1:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the incentive for these little pricks to behave themselves:
Teen gang deportation plan a 'death sentence', Sudanese leaders warn

Act like civilised human beings or die in the shithole called Sudan
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And it's not just restricted to Australia too - most of the Western world has problems with young wankers causing problems, crime and anti-social behaviour

Decades of namby pamby, multicultural and PC polices and not requiring people to take responsibility for their actions are the cause

You just can't help yourself can you? Old south African methods I expect you consider would sort it out. Yeah right. We know where that went.

Suss laws in UK. Great success...not on the streets of London. Best don't create an under class in the first instance. Qualities/Values other than materialism may help as well.

Old crusties throwing the law and order yarn of lock them up or military service don't really help the cause.
Australia has a high prison population costing a fortune as is, What we do need is creative ways to tackle social issues without giving away more freedoms to state.....

Oh and youth anti social behaviour to not confined to race, colour or creed. The more society becomes fragmented through economic disparity the more the situation will worsen.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well the elite know whom they are. It is obvious that you are not part of this exclusive group.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Well the elite know whom they are. It is obvious that you are not part of this exclusive group.
There are many elite groups.... ;-)
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

There are many elite groups.... ;-)
Your answer defines which group BB
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice.

http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/my-face-was-broken-into-pieces-us-doctor-on-being-bashed-outside-australian-open-20180122-p4yyql.html