Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Medicare, you should be paying more

Medicare, you should be paying more

Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medicare, you should be paying more

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-1...erhaul/5270940

I'm really tired of this flawed view that the Australian government has on the health system. The opinion of Health minister is that you should be paying more. For what exactly? They say it's to cover your cost to the system as it's unsustainable. I think I've had three doctors visits in five years. I pay Medicare as well as the levy and private health insurance on top. I think I've covered the unsustainable damage to the system I have placed on Australia. Those who can afford it need to pay more. Yes, and we do. But it's to cover for those who cannot afford it, not to cover my cost to the system. It would be nice if they addressed it like so, instead of labelling everyone as free loaders who need to pay their way.

The easy short term fix for this is to increase the levy. In two years time, we'll have to do it again. A review carried out by consultants charging extortionate rates to he tax payer will always come back and say the same. No out oft he box thinking required. No need to examine where the massive expenses are coming from such as GP visits, A&E visits, medication rebates. Just, in general, it's too costly.

Also, the government taking claim to funding 92 cent in the dollar for is system is laughable. Who's pocket doesn't his come out of? Yes, mine. I'd like to know what the difference is in cost of the Defence system to our health system. As well as the cost of government wages/pensions. I refuse to believe that people aren't paying enough for their health.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:22 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare, you should be paying more

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-1...erhaul/5270940

I'm really tired of this flawed view that the Australian government has on the health system. The opinion of Health minister is that you should be paying more. For what exactly? They say it's to cover your cost to the system as it's unsustainable. I think I've had three doctors visits in five years. I pay Medicare as well as the levy and private health insurance on top. I think I've covered the unsustainable damage to the system I have placed on Australia. Those who can afford it need to pay more. Yes, and we do. But it's to cover for those who cannot afford it, not to cover my cost to the system. It would be nice if they addressed it like so, instead of labelling everyone as free loaders who need to pay their way.

The easy short term fix for this is to increase the levy. In two years time, we'll have to do it again. A review carried out by consultants charging extortionate rates to he tax payer will always come back and say the same. No out oft he box thinking required. No need to examine where the massive expenses are coming from such as GP visits, A&E visits, medication rebates. Just, in general, it's too costly.

Also, the government taking claim to funding 92 cent in the dollar for is system is laughable. Who's pocket doesn't his come out of? Yes, mine. I'd like to know what the difference is in cost of the Defence system to our health system. As well as the cost of government wages/pensions. I refuse to believe that people aren't paying enough for their health.

Well, a good start would be allowing health insurances to be all inclusive, so that it didn't cost you more to use it than not to use it. If people weren't faced with the prospect of extortionate gap payments that they have to re-mortgage their homes to pay for, then I dare say they would use their insurance more. Also allow it to cover medical procedures out of hospitals in private rooms.

I would happily pay more for an all inclusive policy. At the moment I pretty much refuse to use it as a matter of principle, and the care I have received has been excellent, and all very free.

S
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I already pay for visits to the GP and assorted health professionals- and there are a lot of them. The medicare rebate on most things isn't even half what you are charged by a long shot, and why should my daughter have to pay a private script fee for her pill which is not for contraception(a lifestyle choice), but for acne treatment? I pay private fees for my HRT too.

The only thing I'm glad for is that my MS med is on the PBS, or it would cost $1700 every 4 weeks. If I had to pay that, then I couldn't afford it. The pharmaceutical companies are having a laugh charging that much- especially as it is only a pill, not the old complicated injections I used to have. I even helped them by being on their trial -at least I got it free then for being a guinea-pig, but now it is in the public domain I have to pay. My neurologist got a big fat fee for running the trial. He charges $160 for what turns out to be a 5 minute visit.(After a 2 hour wait!)
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Well, a good start would be allowing health insurances to be all inclusive, so that it didn't cost you more to use it than not to use it. If people weren't faced with the prospect of extortionate gap payments that they have to re-mortgage their homes to pay for, then I dare say they would use their insurance more. Also allow it to cover medical procedures out of hospitals in private rooms.

I would happily pay more for an all inclusive policy. At the moment I pretty much refuse to use it as a matter of principle, and the care I have received has been excellent, and all very free.

S
An insurance policy that insures you? Are you mad?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I already pay for visits to the GP and assorted health professionals- and there are a lot of them. The medicare rebate on most things isn't even half what you are charged by a long shot, and why should my daughter have to pay a private script fee for her pill which is not for contraception(a lifestyle choice), but for acne treatment? I pay private fees for my HRT too.

The only thing I'm glad for is that my MS med is on the PBS, or it would cost $1700 every 4 weeks. If I had to pay that, then I couldn't afford it. The pharmaceutical companies are having a laugh charging that much- especially as it is only a pill, not the old complicated injections I used to have. I even helped them by being on their trial -at least I got it free then for being a guinea-pig, but now it is in the public domain I have to pay. My neurologist got a big fat fee for running the trial. He charges $160 for what turns out to be a 5 minute visit.(After a 2 hour wait!)
And that's it. We are paying more but it seems to be invisible to the government when we pay out of pocket, as we so often have to do.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:30 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

An insurance policy that insures you? Are you mad?

Yeah, and doesn't cost more to use than not. I know - it's probably a really stupid idea...

S
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

S
Me too. I've had some pretty serious, self inflicted sports injuries in the last 3 years. Yep I know - my fault for trying to stay fit and healthy.

First time I used Private and I was out of pocket about 8 grand.

Last time I said "screw you private" and I went through the public system, another burden on the system, all because the out of pocket thing is just too much.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:44 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Beoz
Me too. I've had some pretty serious, self inflicted sports injuries in the last 3 years. Yep I know - my fault for trying to stay fit and healthy.

First time I used Private and I was out of pocket about 8 grand.

Last time I said "screw you private" and I went through the public system, another burden on the system, all because the out of pocket thing is just too much.

Yup. I have long held that this is the barrier to using private health. People don't want to be out of pocket by many thousands of dollars. It's also not unreasonable to expect health insurance to cover other things

Some of Wol's posts on this subject are spine chilling - the huge gap payments he's had to stump up have been ridiculous.

S
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:55 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. I have long held that this is the barrier to using private health. People don't want to be out of pocket by many thousands of dollars. It's also not unreasonable to expect health insurance to cover other things

Some of Wol's posts on this subject are spine chilling - the huge gap payments he's had to stump up have been ridiculous.
S
I don't know how they are allowed to use the word "insurance" in the description of their product because it isn't. It's a financial product which helps with some of the fees incurred when undertaking private medical treatment.

Someone should offer actual private medical insurance where everything is covered, no haggling with the anaesthetist or trying to find a surgeon that does "gap cover", not knowing exactly how much it will cost until after the event (despite all the bollocks they tell you about "transparency").

I guess if someone tried to do it all the cronies who currently benefit would lobby the govt. to stop them, or something...
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's annoying that the government is saying that those who earn more should be paying more. Many pay nothing. If more money is needed then we should all be paying more

Any state provided medical system is going to be under pressure - always. Paying more for medical care is going to dominate our future - whichever country you are living in

The gov. dude may be right, a debate is needed
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's annoying that the government is saying that those who earn more should be paying more. Many pay nothing. If more money is needed then we should all be paying more

Any state provided medical system is going to be under pressure - always. Paying more for medical care is going to dominate our future - whichever country you are living in

The gov. dude may be right, a debate is needed
I don't agree. I believe we are paying plenty and we should be getti better health care for our money. Those that don't pay are typically low income earners and they are the ones that use the system the most. Not saying they don't need or deserve health care but I would think this is where the system blows out. So, it's important that it gets explained that more money is needed to cover this and not tell us it's to cover ourselves. Over an average persons life time under the current rates, you could pay well over $100,000 in tax/private cover. That would cover the majority of people's medical needs. Some flow over, fine. We have plenty in the bank to fund it.

What needs to happen is to review where the problems and adjust there.

But what they are getting at in this article is pushing us towards the American system which would be in line with their polices of privatising everything and selling off assets. The public schools look to be heading that way.

Didn't you vote for these guys?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree. I believe we are paying plenty and we should be getti better health care for our money. Those that don't pay are typically low income earners and they are the ones that use the system the most. Not saying they don't need or deserve health care but I would think this is where the system blows out. So, it's important that it gets explained that more money is needed to cover this and not tell us it's to cover ourselves. Over an average persons life time under the current rates, you could pay well over $100,000 in tax/private cover. That would cover the majority of people's medical needs. Some flow over, fine. We have plenty in the bank to fund it.

But what they are getting at in this article is pushing us towards the American system which would be in line with their polices of privatising everything and selling off assets. The public schools look to be heading that way.

I did, and I certainly don't believe in those who earn more should pay more or if that is going to be the case, those who pay more should get more.

What I don't get is the massive gap between Medicare's recommended fee and what the specialists actually charge. Its not even close.

I too wish there were some private health care insurerers who who just offer an everything covered fee.

Its all ****ed up in my opinion.

On the bright side, if you do go private you can negotiate a specialists fee. I did for one operation.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 12:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I think you misunderstood me somewhat

Right now Medicare (like the NHS) has enough money but it needs to be spent better. If the government is spending too much then they should cut welfare, waste and civil service numbers first before moaning about Medicare

But this issue is not going to go away. As populations age around the world, medical costs are going to keep on rising faster than taxation

Therefore a debate is needed

I did vote for this government. State provided medical care is the only centerist policy that I support
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:11 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I don't know how they are allowed to use the word "insurance" in the description of their product because it isn't. It's a financial product which helps with some of the fees incurred when undertaking private medical treatment.

Someone should offer actual private medical insurance where everything is covered, no haggling with the anaesthetist or trying to find a surgeon that does "gap cover", not knowing exactly how much it will cost until after the event (despite all the bollocks they tell you about "transparency").

I guess if someone tried to do it all the cronies who currently benefit would lobby the govt. to stop them, or something...
Completely agree, it's one mighty Australian rip off. This is an area screaming out for a official investigation followed by laws to clean it up.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:21 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by paulry
Completely agree, it's one mighty Australian rip off. This is an area screaming out for a official investigation followed by laws to clean it up.

Never going to happen. The current system has too many vested interests, and is inexorably entwined into the tax system, plus governments (of all colours) like the ability to tinker with the rebates as an emergency revenue raiser.

The other thing that pains me is the earning expectations of doctors these days. When I was young, doctors were all mentioned in the same breath as teachers and policemen. now they seem to be earning more than cabinet ministers and CEOs, and yet are allegedly in a profession that exists to be selfless and help people. I'm not seeing much selflessness - I'm seeing an awful lot of selfishness and greed that is generally supported by the AMA et al.

How has this been allowed to occur? Same with dentists too I guess. Seeing lots of overcharging and people who can't afford even basic levels of care.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.