Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

LOL Words that confuddle Aussies ?

LOL Words that confuddle Aussies ?

Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LOL Words that confuddle Aussies ?

Originally Posted by loz
It would be easier to find a cure for the common cold than make proper yorkshires here mate...........................I've tried every permutation but still can't get 'em right.

Loz x

3oz/175 grams of flour
1 large egg
3oz/75ml milk
2oz/55ml Water

Sieve the flour into a large bowl. With the back of a spoon, make a well in the centre, break the egg into it and add some salt and pepper. Start to whisk the egg into the flour as you whisk add the liquid gradually, stopping to scrape the flour into the mixture. Whisk until the batter is smooth

Heat oven to gas mark 7/ 220c/ 425f - make sure fat is really hot before you pour it in and don't open your oven until they are cooked.

Perfect yorkies (well if your cooker's not crap like mine was )
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:37 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
3oz/175 grams of flour
1 large egg
3oz/75ml milk
2oz/55ml Water

Sieve the flour into a large bowl. With the back of a spoon, make a well in the centre, break the egg into it and add some salt and pepper. Start to whisk the egg into the flour as you whisk add the liquid gradually, stopping to scrape the flour into the mixture. Whisk until the batter is smooth

Heat oven to gas mark 7/ 220c/ 425f - make sure fat is really hot before you pour it in and don't open your oven until they are cooked.

dont forget...

the oil must be to a certain level in ya yorkie tin thingy.. or they go flat...

< wife always marvels at her expertise, and tells me... unfortunately i had both ears removed yrs ago, n didnt tell her..
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:38 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

"Cashpoint" my mates think thats the funniest thing that we call it a bloody cashpoint!! They call it an ATM!!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:41 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
"Cashpoint" my mates think thats the funniest thing that we call it a bloody cashpoint!! They call it an ATM!!
friend of ours always debates the word HOSE PIPE, as its not a PIPE . Pipes are RIGID..

Mind you she is tasmanian
Old Nov 6th 2007, 6:39 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

3oz/175 grams of flour
1 large egg
3oz/75ml milk
2oz/55ml Water

so who's gonna start the yorkshire pudding thread?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
friend of ours always debates the word HOSE PIPE, as its not a PIPE . Pipes are RIGID..

Mind you she is tasmanian
That reminds me of when we lived in Caribbean. My OH's boss got caught by his wife with another woman & rumour was she was'blowing the pipe' at the time! I had never heard it called that before!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by themerlin
LOL Have you ever passed that chinese restaurant on the corner of Days and Grange road called the Ming Inn , makes be smile but the locals don't get it
theres a Ming Inn in Southend in Essex as well!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:33 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

3oz/175 grams of flour
1 large egg
3oz/75ml milk
2oz/55ml Water

One egg no good for me, they still flop. I use 3 eggs and they super rise
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
My first one, using Delia's recipe, came out awful... it had a hard crust on the top like shoe leather. The underneath was ok though, but it was a bit of a surprise for me.
The Aussie 'Green and Gold' cookbook is very handy. Very cheap and lots of households have a copy Available in most book stores and some newsagents
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
It's annoying when they call it an 'ATM machine' ...that's what the 'm' stands for
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
That reminds me of when we lived in Caribbean. My OH's boss got caught by his wife with another woman & rumour was she was'blowing the pipe' at the time! I had never heard it called that before!
I used to work with a bloke from somerset. He would say she was " smoking his pipe ". Imagine it in a somerset / west country accent !

I work with a bloke from Dublin here and I have no idea how the locals understand a word he says cos I struggle meself.

I work with a young bloke who grew up on a farm outside Cairns and says "but" after every sentence. He stares at me blankly a lot !
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

when we were over there we went to a hungry jacks and my little un like a cheesburger but plain with just cheese( you know no sauce or anything), it took me 5 minutes to try and get the server to understand me and when i asked for a plain cheeseburger with just cheese no sauce or pickle. when we got it he was very dissapointed as it was just a muffin with a piece of cheese on it, i took it back ans asked wheres the burger she said you didnt want a burger you said plain just cheese, so i said wheres the beef in it, then she looked really proud and said you didnt ask for a pattie aswell!! i was like wtf is a pattie!! half an hour we got what we wanted then the server said i love the scottish accent.(im from manchester born and bred but couldnt be ars*d explaining as i had been there over half an hour just for a ruddy cheese burger!!!)

sorry about long post.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gina and danny
sorry about long post.
not half as sorry as i am about the Latics' dismal performance so far !
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
not half as sorry as i am about the Latics' dismal performance so far !
latics who are they!!!!!
im a man utd girl meself.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gina and danny
latics who are they!!!!!
im a man utd girl meself.
is that Manufactured united?

see a player you like and buy him before the opposition get him?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.