Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

LOL Words that confuddle Aussies ?

LOL Words that confuddle Aussies ?

Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:26 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of
Default Re: LOL Words that confuddle Aussies ?

Originally Posted by Demeter
of cause it works both ways, same names for things that arent the same etc, an aussie mate said i'm making toad in the hole, I thought yeaah yorkshire pud fabulous, turned out to be an egg cracked into like moulded bread and cooked in the oven
that sounds bleedin rank dun't they know how to make yorkshire pud over there.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:30 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul30
that sounds bleedin rank dun't they know how to make yorkshire pud over there.
It would be easier to find a cure for the common cold than make proper yorkshires here mate...........................I've tried every permutation but still can't get 'em right.

Loz x
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:34 pm
Beach Bum

paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by loz
It would be easier to find a cure for the common cold than make proper yorkshires here mate...........................I've tried every permutation but still can't get 'em right.

Loz x
1 egg to every 2 ounces of plain flour, milk (about equal measure to flour) pinch of salt and pepper (that recipe has never failed me yet)
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Mardy!

No one even knows what it means here - I tried to explain it and the nearest Oz translation is 'sukki lala' WTF - doesn't quite have the same ring to it - does it?
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:50 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

1 egg to every 2 ounces of plain flour, milk (about equal measure to flour) pinch of salt and pepper (that recipe has never failed me yet)
Aussie flour is more finely milled. Make sure you use an Aussie recipe!
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:54 pm
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Aussie flour is more finely milled. Make sure you use an Aussie recipe!
I'll be over there in about 6 weeks so I'll have to get experimenting
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:06 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be over there in about 6 weeks so I'll have to get experimenting
My first one, using Delia's recipe, came out awful... it had a hard crust on the top like shoe leather. The underneath was ok though, but it was a bit of a surprise for me.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Kecks = trousers
shithouse
puddled = confused
minging
bedding!!!!
duvet!!!
brew = tea/coffee

proper cup of tea (they all look at me strange in work when I have a brew with two tea bags)

it's getting a bit boring now having to repeat stuff but what really cracks me up (still) is being in the bedding section of Big W and chatting to a woman and she asked where we're from and we said Manchester and the look on her face was a pure kodak moment.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:33 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

When I slip into Nottingham slang I get many blank looks

Ayup = hello
Me sen = myself

I was also down Caloundra at the weekend and told the MIL that I wanted a sucker (ice lolly) which got a very vacant look.

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Name words that when spoken .. in Australia.. you get that vacant stare from the receiver....

such as MINGING
Old Nov 6th 2007, 1:39 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Two words:

"Thank" and "you"

Rarely hear them spoken together.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 1:46 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

'Field Goal'
Old Nov 6th 2007, 2:52 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

rank

codswallop

ace

minted

ruby murray

chinky

raj ( as in indian )

twatted

3 sheets to the wind

arseholed

manky

lob on

bog

and for god sake its MAROON with 2 o's not MARONE
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You probably dont want to mention Gordon Bennett to the older Aussie generation. He was a soldier, not held in very high regard by those who remember the war because he was in charge at the fall of Singapore but managed to save himself leaving his troops to sample the delights of Changi POW camp and the Burma railway (my FIL, a very civilized man who spent the war in Changi, was less than polite when I used GB! as an expletive when newly arrived)

I always lead to confusion with flog - in UK to sell, in Aus to steal. I still say it the UK way though.
Other favourites:
Blower
Jobsworth
Gobsmacked (although that is entering the Aussie vocab)
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:31 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Have you ever passed that chinese restaurant on the corner of Days and Grange road called the Ming Inn , makes be smile but the locals don't get it
Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Name words that when spoken .. in Australia.. you get that vacant stare from the receiver....

such as MINGING
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:47 am
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

James Gordon Bennett:-
In 1877, he left New York after an incident that ended his engagement to socialite Caroline May. According to various accounts, he arrived late and drunk to a party at the May family mansion, then urinated into a fireplace in full view of his hosts.

What a guy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.