Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Life in a blast furnace

Life in a blast furnace

Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:08 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life in a blast furnace

Seems like it is our turn for a day of roasting. Should be a late southerly buster.

We are getting a house with AC on Wednesday!

Originally Posted by Jon77
Going to be 43c in the centre of Sydney and on the coast tomorrow!!!!!!

Could be some bad bushfires, hopefully not!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Seems like it is our turn for a day of roasting. Should be a late southerly buster.

We are getting a house with AC on Wednesday!
That is a day too late!

Seriously, I'm getting together an evac pack, even though I'm technically not in a bushfire area, but two streets away is the national park, and my garden has lots of trees which are shedding bark and leaves like mad.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Jan 7th 2013 at 5:20 am.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:15 am

My house is packed into boxes already. The hard thing will be picking out the important ones. There is a line of massive connifers that would go in a flash.

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
That is a day too late!

Seriously, I'm getting together an evac pack, even though I'm technically not in a bushfire area, but two streets away is the national park, and my garden has lots of trees which are shedding bark and leaves like mad.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
There was a fire about 2 km northeast of us yesterday. The water bombers & helicopters were so low over our house the windows rattled every 5 minutes as they went over. Thankfully it was contained very quickly and no homes were lost but the end of our street is the beginning of bushland, so if that went up I'm pretty certain we'd be in trouble. It's not only the flames but the burning embers flying around that start the smaller fires.
2km? pfft! I'm standing on my lawn btw.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gjn200
2km? pfft! I'm standing on my lawn btw.
http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/...ps321362a6.jpg

That is such a great photo....Conveys a hell of a lot about SE Australia in the hotter months. Everyone will see the grass that color at that time of year, and most will see a fire, not that close usually, but one day they are very likely to see one. So great to potray it so graphically for people thinking of coming here.

Keep safe, and thank god for the CFA eh.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

AC is great but when the electricity cuts off, it's miserable. Watch for the power surge at the witching hour when everyone comes home from work and reaches for the ACs
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
AC is great but when the electricity cuts off, it's miserable. Watch for the power surge at the witching hour when everyone comes home from work and reaches for the ACs
I'm dreading the next power outage in the heat. When I did my reno, I switched most of my household, except for hot water, to electricity, thinking that in the future I would always be able to generate electricty, gas, you can never produce yourself..... Well not the Gas you want.

I'm really looking forwards to see the glass window, or glazing electricity panels, become common as power generators. I reckon that will be time when Solar comes into it's own.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm dreading the next power outage in the heat. When I did my reno, I switched most of my household, except for hot water, to electricity, thinking that in the future I would always be able to generate electricty, gas, you can never produce yourself..... Well not the Gas you want.

I'm really looking forwards to see the glass window, or glazing electricity panels, become common as power generators. I reckon that will be time when Solar comes into it's own.
You will shortly be able to purchase small generators that run off your own family waste
Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:24 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Going to be 43c in the centre of Sydney and on the coast tomorrow!!!!!!

Could be some bad bushfires, hopefully not!
I glad someone on the news actually acknowledged that Perth and Adelaide get these temps all the time. Usually the weather forecast in January goes something like this:

"Hell of a roasting in Sydney today at 32, Melbourne too, scorching hot day at 34 - get that sun block out!, Adelaide 44 Massive heatwave blowing into Perth at 41...."

etc.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:03 pm

Unususual to see penwith colder than Sydney 43 and 42. Washing dried in 20 mins.

Any tips on keeping the dangly bits fresh all day?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:21 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM

Any tips on keeping the dangly bits fresh all day?
Let them hang free and spray regularly with a water bottle
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:23 pm

If it gets drastic I may fill a bowl with ice and let them rest.
Originally Posted by Dreamy
Let them hang free and spray regularly with a water bottle
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:15 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Stating the obvious here but...... Drink lots of water, and dont forget the pets. Make sure they have cool shelter and water.

And watch out for heatstroke and exhaustion in others (especially the elderly).

Edit: oh yes, and if your PC. laptop or smartphone pack up - its the heat. They don't like it any more than you do. They will be ok when they cool down again.

Last edited by slapphead_otool; Jan 7th 2013 at 11:20 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
You will shortly be able to purchase small generators that run off your own family waste
Love the idea of that... and those double heat exchangers that you can cool and heat with at the same time.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

About to venture outside in 39 degrees to cover the wilting courgettes. Then I'm going into the pool- though that has gone up from its normal 24 degrees to 28- getting like a bath!
got to put on the suncream though.

It is like being in Dubai in midsummer.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Jan 8th 2013 at 3:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.