Les Miserables

Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Les Miserables

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Nope- I saw the stage show in the West End, and DD's school production which was amazing. I don't have enough tissue carrying capacity to sit in a cinema and cry for 2 hours. Plus I'm not sure I would like to hear the music being mangled by non- singers, however terrific the acting.
I agree to an extent. Wife & I saw the film today. Have seen it in the West End and also as a school production. Nothing beats the West End, but I too enjoyed the school production more than the film. It is a show that belongs on the stage, with the live atmosphere of the theatre and the characters really drawing you in to the story. The film just didn't do that for me. I wasn't bored at all, just not wowed. The wife always blubs whatever the staging... I shed a tear in the West End, but not the film *thumps chest & swigs beer*

Having said that, I suggest do as we did an go on the cinema's cheap ticket day! It is worth the watch. Russell Crowe is commendable but not great, the others are actually very good singers.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:03 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
It's a shame about Russell Crowe. I had a feeling before I saw it that he would be the weak link and he was. Javert is supposed to be a total ****, really dark and evil and tortured. Russell (bless him) sounded like Westlife in his first solo and only slightly more manly in his second. He had good chemistry with Hugh Jackman and looked good in the role but his voice just wasn't up to it. The best bit was when he...y'know...and it was well done
I haven't seen the movie yet but saw the stage show several times in London and have regularly listened to the original cast recording on CD, it's one of my favourite musicals. I've not read the book but on the basis of the show, I never really have seen Javert as really evil ... it helps that I like his voice from the original show - but I always thought of him as just being a very moral man who sees life in black and white and nothing in between. There is right and there is wrong and no room for "yes but...." that is of course a failing in him but doesn't necessarily make him evil. That's my take on it, but I could have been missing the line in the song where he said "I rob grannies and eat small babies"

Like Rasen I'm going to have to wait til it's out on DVD as I can't do grown up films at the movies due to current circumstances. Shame really as I think it will be better on the big screen, but such is life
Old Jan 8th 2013, 3:22 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad

Having said that, I suggest do as we did an go on the cinema's cheap ticket day! It is worth the watch.
That's what I'm doing
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the show on broadway many years ago....I doubt if any film could match that.
We will go one afternoon when we need to escape the heat
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:36 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I saw the show on broadway many years ago....I doubt if any film could match that.
We will go one afternoon when we need to escape the heat
Films are never the same as stage shows - they just don't capture the atmosphere.
I feel a trip to the West End coming on
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Films are never the same as stage shows - they just don't capture the atmosphere.
I feel a trip to the West End coming on
Chitty Chitty and Joseph on stage are crap compared to the films. Just sayin......
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I want to see it......I'm not expecting too much from Rusty, have seen him in 20 Odd Foot of Grunt . The only downside of this whole Les Mis movie thing is I'll probably have to sit through 25 versions of "Castle on a Cloud" this eisteddfod season, better bring a pillow and foot rest.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 1:53 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me about it! I work in music licensing and have already started getting the 'our junior choir would like to massacre this music at our local fete' e-mails. Les Mis is NOT fun to work with.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I had planned to go last night but was just too tired. I may try to go this weekend if I can talk anyone into going with me.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:05 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Chitty Chitty and Joseph on stage are crap compared to the films. Just sayin......
No!!! I LOVE Joseph on the stage. I've seen it 3 times