Les Miserables

Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:07 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Les Miserables

Has anyone been to see Les Mis at the cinema yet?

I am going next Saturday to see it and am really looking forward to it. Tom Hooper (director) directed The Kings Speech, which I loved, so I have high hopes.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Les Miserables

Originally Posted by Kapri

I am going next Saturday to see it and am really looking forward to it. Tom Hooper (director) directed The Kings Speech, which I loved, so I have high hopes.
My oh wants to see it.I cant watch it.The hair cutting scene scares me.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

My parents are over here and went to see it last week - my dad fell asleep!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:43 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
My parents are over here and went to see it last week - my dad fell asleep!

That's why I'm going with the girls and not OH
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Nope- I saw the stage show in the West End, and DD's school production which was amazing. I don't have enough tissue carrying capacity to sit in a cinema and cry for 2 hours. Plus I'm not sure I would like to hear the music being mangled by non- singers, however terrific the acting.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Grey nomads are LM connoisseurs .... Any excuse to see it in the uk... Used to hound me to go .... I Manfully resisted...

They enjoyed the film....

And now they are harassing me to see THAT
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Ts another 101 Dalmations situation for me with it....

I read the book, before the musical came out...It was brilliant.... Nothing could compare to what I have in my head... As for making it into a musical?

Pah,
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I saw it last week.

To be honest, I preferred the stage version. The songs somehow suited the stage better than a full-on movie.

The standard of singing was universally excellent from the female leads (Anne Hathaway was brilliant despite not being a 'singer'), not so good from the males.

Russell Crowe and even Hugh Jackman I thought were only so-so singing-wise.

My 24 year old son left after 45 minutes - not his cup of tea at all.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:41 pm
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

The cook reckons she does'nt need to see it, she just has to sit in the same room as me watching the evening news.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:09 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Saw it last night. I wasn't as blown away as I thought i would be, I'd forgotten how self indulgent it is as a musical. But the performances were fabulous (with the exception of Russell Crowe). Anne Hathaway is a trained singer, she had the option of becoming a singer but chose acting, she is stunning in it. I would consider Hugh Jackman as much as singer as an actor, he's been in musicals from the very start of his career. All of the 'smaller' roles were filled by singers, Amanda Seyfried is (I think) the only real non singer in it and although she has a pleasant enough voice, she has a pretty crappy role, it's hard to do anything substantial with it.
The production itself is awesome, the fact that all the vocals were recorded on set is amazing and overall it's a bloody good show. I didn't blub once though which was odd...I didn't at the stage show either though. As i say, it's very self indulgent and that can make it hard to empathise with.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Going this week I think. I was sent this, made me chuckle:

Went to the movies with the wife. We saw this obscure movie I had never hear, some French foreign film. They must have been giving away free tickets because the lines were out of the door. Anyway, the movie starts and Wolverine is singing his guts out. Then Catwoman starts crying and singing and it's all very moving. The only problem was, the girl next to me, who had apparently read the book or something, starts singing along. It was very distracting. So Wolverine is on the run from the Gladiator because Catwoman had a baby at Borat's house, but now she wants Wolverine to care for her. Time skip. A bunch of kids get shot and in the end everyone dies. Four stars.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:42 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
Saw it last night. I wasn't as blown away as I thought i would be, I'd forgotten how self indulgent it is as a musical. But the performances were fabulous (with the exception of Russell Crowe). Anne Hathaway is a trained singer, she had the option of becoming a singer but chose acting, she is stunning in it. I would consider Hugh Jackman as much as singer as an actor, he's been in musicals from the very start of his career. All of the 'smaller' roles were filled by singers, Amanda Seyfried is (I think) the only real non singer in it and although she has a pleasant enough voice, she has a pretty crappy role, it's hard to do anything substantial with it.
The production itself is awesome, the fact that all the vocals were recorded on set is amazing and overall it's a bloody good show. I didn't blub once though which was odd...I didn't at the stage show either though. As i say, it's very self indulgent and that can make it hard to empathise with.
I think she is actually a classically trained singer. She was in Mamma Mia (not that that counts) Would agree about Hugh

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Going this week I think. I was sent this, made me chuckle:

Went to the movies with the wife. We saw this obscure movie I had never hear, some French foreign film. They must have been giving away free tickets because the lines were out of the door. Anyway, the movie starts and Wolverine is singing his guts out. Then Catwoman starts crying and singing and it's all very moving. The only problem was, the girl next to me, who had apparently read the book or something, starts singing along. It was very distracting. So Wolverine is on the run from the Gladiator because Catwoman had a baby at Borat's house, but now she wants Wolverine to care for her. Time skip. A bunch of kids get shot and in the end everyone dies. Four stars.
Thanks for that. No point in seeing it now

Oh and to answer to OP, I will have to wait till it comes out on DVD. Our movie options tend to be ones limited to the younger audience (secretly can't wait to see Rise of the Guardians)
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:58 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
I think she is actually a classically trained singer. She was in Mamma Mia (not that that counts) Would agree about Hugh

Thanks for that. No point in seeing it now

Oh and to answer to OP, I will have to wait till it comes out on DVD. Our movie options tend to be ones limited to the younger audience (secretly can't wait to see Rise of the Guardians)
It's a shame about Russell Crowe. I had a feeling before I saw it that he would be the weak link and he was. Javert is supposed to be a total ****, really dark and evil and tortured. Russell (bless him) sounded like Westlife in his first solo and only slightly more manly in his second. He had good chemistry with Hugh Jackman and looked good in the role but his voice just wasn't up to it. The best bit was when he...y'know...and it was well done
Old Jan 8th 2013, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Ah darn, I was looking forward to downloading that
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:27 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedT
It's quite funny that isn't it.Hatherway trained as a singer and became an actor,Jackman trained as an actor and ended up in musicals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.