Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Legal Requirements of Buying a Car in Australia (NSW)

Legal Requirements of Buying a Car in Australia (NSW)

Old Mar 5th 2017, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Ramigojag is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Legal Requirements of Buying a Car in Australia (NSW)

Hi All,

I have tried searching, but couldn't find something directly answering my questions.

My move date to Sydney is 04/04/17, whilst there I'm going to try and find myself some wheels quick, I'm looking cheap and I'm a cash buyer so finding and buying the car isn't the problem.

However what are the legal requirements for buying a car?

In the UK I know the procedure inside out as in logbook, signing the logbook, posting it to DVLA, taxing the car, making sure the car has MOT etc. sorting insurance.

I know of Rego, roadworthy and some sort of transfer fee. What exactly are these?, how do they compare to the UK equivalent so I can try and get my head around it.

Could someone do a typical example of buying a car privately for cash. What would my next steps be.

Also I heard that insurance is not a LEGAL requirement although I understand it would be best to have it. Is this true?

Anything else I may have missed to make buying the car straight forward and to avoid myself falling foul of the law.

Callum
Old Mar 6th 2017, 4:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal Requirements of Buying a Car in Australia (NSW)

Pretty much all the info you need is here I'd imagine:

Transfer your registration - Registration - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services

Compulsory third party (CTP) insurance is, erm, compulsory. It ONLY covers the medical bills of people that you injure in an accident, NOT damage to their vehicle. If you have no other insurance, for vehicle damage, you'll be pursued by the other party's insurer / lawyers.