Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Just got back from outta space....

Just got back from outta space....

Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just got back from outta space....

Ok... So maybe not outta space, but from the immigration forum...

Bloody iPad has a nervous twitch and I got there by mistake...

Couldn't leave, jeez! Wouldn't believe what people get up to in there...

Bloody shocking
Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just got back from outta space....

Originally Posted by eddie007
Ok... So maybe not outta space, but from the immigration forum...

Bloody iPad has a nervous twitch and I got there by mistake...

Couldn't leave, jeez! Wouldn't believe what people get up to in there...

Bloody shocking
You think thats bad, try the Middle East...the US Immigration forum....or as a last resort (with a hard hat and armour plated jacket, the Trucking forum
Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You think thats bad, try the Middle East...the US Immigration forum....or as a last resort (with a hard hat and armour plated jacket, the Trucking forum
2013 is my year for going traveling and expanding my mind and broadening my horizons....

Off to the US now.... Wish me luck
Old Jan 12th 2013, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Voyerism at it's height... Currently Watching the US massdebate over guns....

Jeez.... And I thought threads in the Barbie were silly
Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eddie007
Currently Watching the US massdebate over guns....
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Had a look at the ME forum for the 1st time ever

I can't believe the that people would move their family to a shithole like Abu Dhabi for a salary of USD4000/month. Must be desperate.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jan 14th 2013 at 1:44 am.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I miss guns
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:41 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I miss guns
They are fun, for sure, but not in the hands of morons.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 2:45 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Had a look at the ME forum for the 1st time ever

I can't believe the that people would move their family to a shithole like Abu Dhabi for a salary of USD4000/month. Must be desperate.
I had a huge argument with the people there a year or so ago. They seem to want the money, but want a life like they were still in the shires.

"Oh how I hate the attitudes here" - THEN GO HOME!

"Oh OHS is so bad here" - THATS WHY THEY PAY YOU A SHEDLOAD OF CASH

"Oh my maid is so lazy" - THEN MAKE YOUR OWN BED

The ME seems to have the worst possible type of British Expats - get rich quick carpetbaggers attracted by the lure of easy cash. (Although English "teachers" in Asia come a close second, many of whom are there for easy sex with young girls and often younger boys....)
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I had a huge argument with the people there a year or so ago. They seem to want the money, but want a life like they were still in the shires.

The ME seems to have the worst possible type of British Expats - get rich quick carpetbaggers attracted by the lure of easy cash. (Although English "teachers" in Asia come a close second, many of whom are there for easy sex with young girls and often younger boys....)
But do they earn shedloads? Sure, some wll but it seems to me that most don't. Low to average, tax-free salaries that could probably be matched in the UK with a bit of effort. I can't see the point of moving to a shithole like Abu Dhabi for $4k a month. Bizarre.

Many Poms criticise Saffas for employing maids and gardeners (exploiting poverty yadda, yadda), but as soon as they move to the 3rd world get maids, gardeners and drivers and then boast about how cheap they are and how hard they work/don't work.

Why anyone would take modern western children to a feudal level islamic country is beyond me. I can kind of understand it for single-status to make some cash for a few years, but families? No way.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:15 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool

I thought it was Australia that had the worst British expats
Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:17 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
No, just the Scottish ones.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:00 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
No, just the Scottish ones.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:41 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
No. People more here for a lot of reasons, sunshine, better lifestyle, beaches, surf, better life for the kids etc. They may well find out they were wrong in their assumptions and moan about it, but in general they accept that they are migrating.

The ME is a different bucket altogether. They are transitory workers chasing money. They are there for the cash. Often the lure of that cash blinds them to the reality that the ME is overseas, and not a suburb of Manchester. They pocket the cash and spend 2-3 years moaning about the conditions.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:38 am
Not allowed opinions.

But do they earn shedloads? Sure, some wll but it seems to me that most don't. Low to average, tax-free salaries that could probably be matched in the UK with a bit of effort. I can't see the point of moving to a shithole like Abu Dhabi for $4k a month. Bizarre.
I don't know these days. The ME has changed since I worked there.

i think the real cowboys - no degree, big mouth and more front than Harrods, make money.

Take financial planners. in the Uk they are regulated and licenced. In parts of the ME they aren't. Its the wild west, they can rip people off and live well.

Real estate salespeople are in the same boat. A lot of push and mouth, and selling off the plans.

Tradies dont do so well. You can employ Pakistanis, Indians, Egyptians etc and these days they are as well qualified. They don't have the attitude or the financial demands of the Uk expats. The same is true for professionals these days.

Many Poms criticise Saffas for employing maids and gardeners (exploiting poverty yadda, yadda), but as soon as they move to the 3rd world get maids, gardeners and drivers and then boast about how cheap they are and how hard they work/don't work.
former servants make the worst masters.

Why anyone would take modern western children to a feudal level islamic country is beyond me. I can kind of understand it for single-status to make some cash for a few years, but families? No way.
Because until they go there and experience it they are too dumb to understand that the world isn't all the same. In some countries hands get cut off, people get stoned, pickpockets get beaten to death by crowds etc. But they live their lives in are secure Essex - and of course all the world is the same isn't it.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.