Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Julian Assange: what am I missing here?

Julian Assange: what am I missing here?

Old Feb 9th 2016, 8:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Julian Assange: what am I missing here?

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Oh, come on, Dick. We were all young once...

Some of us here are bothered by the apparent fact that Assange is not a very nice person, others by his apparent leftiness. Those are both red herrings, which have no bearing on the US's alleged attempt to suborn the Swedish and British governments' own standards of morality. Nobody should be saying - or even thinking - "Oh, the man's a shit, so I don't care what the Americans do to him". If it weren't for people like Assange, we would still believe that Saddam really did have nuclear weapons - and all those other lies our rulers tell us.
You still don't seem to get it. How many birds he bedded is of little relevance anyway, providing it was consensual.
It's the guys lack of morals and principles in general.
He comes across as a hypocritical shithouse, first off preaching holier than thou from his ivory tower, then squealing like a stuck pig and crawling under the nearest stone to hide, as soon as his own actions are called into question.

Furthermore I'm of the opinion that this talk of the U.S. authorities wafting him away to a torture chamber is a load of bull and highly unlikely, though I expect they will be sitting back laughing their socks off at the mess he has got himself into all of his own making.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 3:02 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I know what those yanks do.
I saw it on 24.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 3:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Furthermore I'm of the opinion that this talk of the U.S. authorities wafting him away to a torture chamber is a load of bull and highly unlikely, though I expect they will be sitting back laughing their socks off at the mess he has got himself into all of his own making.
Although rendition to Guantanamo Bay would be the best thing to happen to him, I tend to agree with you. It's all in his - and his western-hating lawyers - head

Rendition - ridding the world of assholes since 1945
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
you are probably right there but as Brave Sir Robin will not go to Sweden to face the judicial process we will never know for sure.
You see this is the problem I have with this type of thing. Anyone can claim what they like against any person, and if that person is innocent, they are still subjected to interrogation, legals costs, time, embarrassment, and doubt from friends, family and the community. And if there is no case to answer, the accuser doesn't get punished.

Its the perfect revenge tactic.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 8:39 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
You see this is the problem I have with this type of thing. Anyone can claim what they like against any person, and if that person is innocent, they are still subjected to interrogation, legals costs, time, embarrassment, and doubt from friends, family and the community. And if there is no case to answer, the accuser doesn't get punished.

Its the perfect revenge tactic.
I agree 100% hence my comments about perjury earlier if it turns out it was all made up.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 9:03 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I know what those yanks do.
I saw it on 24.
So they're going to throw him into the back of a minivan?
Old Feb 10th 2016, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I agree 100% hence my comments about perjury earlier if it turns out it was all made up.
That's the catch. Very hard to perjury a rape allegation. Great for revenge though.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 9:41 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

That's the catch. Very hard to perjury a rape allegation. Great for revenge though.
I have to point out it is very hard to prove a rape allegation and the allegation should be tested in a court of law not in the media
Old Feb 10th 2016, 9:46 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I have to point out it is very hard to prove a rape allegation and the allegation should be tested in a court of law not in the media
And none of which will matter if he gets shipped out to the US regardless of the Swedish verdict.

The US has a long history of screwing up the unscrewable and creating 100x more damage in the process rather than implementing 'damage control'. Just look at Edward Snowden and how the US ****ed up completely in this regard...
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That would be fun times for a person who was wrongly accused.

I don't have an answer on how you deal with such situations, but the legal process one has to go through is a nightmare.

For an innocent person what is the compensation?

Just "chucking" someone before the courts is plain wrong IMHO
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:21 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
So they're going to throw him into the back of a minivan?
A black one.

In UK it would be a white transit.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:40 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by astera
And none of which will matter if he gets shipped out to the US regardless of the Swedish verdict.
This is true but what on earth makes you think this would happen?
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:43 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Just "chucking" someone before the courts is plain wrong IMHO
Agreed that: however, someone who has been accused of rape is not just being chucked before a court he is there so that the evidence can be tested and a decision made and guilt would need to be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

The Swedes prize their independence above everything and are not simple US poodles like say, the UK for example.

A court of law is the best place to test the allegations and the worst place is probably in the media

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Feb 10th 2016 at 10:51 am.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Agreed that: however, someone who has been accused of rape is not just being chucked before a court he is there so that the evidence can be tested and a decision made and guilt would need to be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

The Swedes prize their independence above everything and are not simple US poodles like say, the UK for example.

A court of law is the best place to test the allegations and the worst place is probably in the media
If that's really the importance then they should continue to try to chat to Assagne where ever in the world he is.

Going round in a full circle on this, if its so important to Sweden then they can make the effort, otherwise it just appears like they have an alternative motive or can't be bothered, what ever the case may be.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:30 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

If that's really the importance then they should continue to try to chat to Assagne where ever in the world he is.

Going round in a full circle on this, if its so important to Sweden then they can make the effort, otherwise it just appears like they have an alternative motive or can't be bothered, what ever the case may be.
who should continue to chat to him? Swedes are trying to get him to agree to meet them in his hiding place.

it would be very strange if pursuing a rape allegation was not important to the Swedish authorities and wrong on so many levels too..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.