Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Of Interest To Big W / Woolworths Shoppers

Of Interest To Big W / Woolworths Shoppers

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:18 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Of Interest To Big W / Woolworths Shoppers

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why would you buy something and assume you may take it back? I'm scratching my head why you are more likely to buy lots with the idea of some of it going back because you don't want it

Mind you I don't like shopping and it's a struggle to buy anything, let alone something I'm likely to take back again.
Originally Posted by kporte
I don't really get this. Why should shops take stuff back because people are too dozy to buy what they want?
Here's a different scenario then:
Last Christmas I received duplicate sets of books & DVD collections. Do I politely say "Oh thanks" & place them all on the same bookshelf?
I suppose I could save the duplicates for gifts, though, by the time Birthdays & Christmas roll around again they will both no longer be "new releases"
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:30 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

In relation to the woman who bought the boots. I would have taken some stitching out of them & demanded a refund as my legal right since the boots were defective

So when they say "our policy goes beyond a consumer's legal rights", fight back and get a freaking refund
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:55 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really get this. Why should shops take stuff back because people are too dozy to buy what they want?
'cos they make more money by doing it, which is why they do it in the first place.

People that would waver or defer a purchase if there were no returns otherwise will make a purchase if they think, "ooh, I know, I'll just buy it and if it's wrong I can bring it back". But most people don't bring it back. And of those that do come back to the store, they'll take store credit. And of those that take store credit, many of them won't actually spend it all. And even if they spend it, it still comes back as profit and the retailer had an interest-free loan of the money in the interim. And even if they do spend it all, the customer probably picked up something else in the meantime.

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
I would have taken some stitching out of them & demanded a refund as my legal right since the boots were defective
I am not an expert by any means but as I understand it, you don't have a legal right to a refund just because goods are defective or imperfect - they have to be dangerous, unfit for purpose or something more.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I am not an expert by any means but as I understand it, you don't have a legal right to a refund just because goods are defective or imperfect - they have to be dangerous, unfit for purpose or something more.
Here in QLD

As a consumer, you are legally entitled to a refund, exchange or repair from the place of purchase if goods:
• had a fault you did not know when you bought it
• were not the same as the seller or advertisement described
• don’t do the job you were led to believe they would
• don’t match the sample
• don’t last a reasonable amount of time, given the price you paid.
If you receive a service that is not of a standard that a reasonable person would expect, you are entitled to a refund or free repeat service.

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:07 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

To early to tell but he is on the spectrum.
Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Asperger's by chance?
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:09 am
ABCDiamond

The UK law comparison

The Sale and Supply of Goods Act only entitles you to a refund or any kind of redress if the goods that you buy are ‘not of satisfactory quality’ and if there’s nothing wrong with the dress or shoes that you’ve bought – except that it doesn’t fit you – you are legally entitled to absolutely nothing.
It appears that both countries have similar laws.

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:12 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

'cos they make more money by doing it, which is why they do it in the first place.

You have a right to a perfect item, if you get it home and it has a defect, you have a legal right to a refund. This is also true even if the shop has a sign stating "no refunds" since stores dont make up consumer laws. So if the purchased item was faulty, youd still be entitled a to a refund.

Big W's policy will see them lose money since people would be reluctant to buy "off the racks" instead the change rooms will need to take up 50% of the store as people want to make certain of their purchase in clothing, not to mention the customers who think twice before buying for others where the item may not be the right size, colour etc.

All in all, I would suggest that Big W will be reverting to its previous policy in the near future.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 9:45 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why would you buy something and assume you may take it back? I'm scratching my head why you are more likely to buy lots with the idea of some of it going back because you don't want it

Mind you I don't like shopping and it's a struggle to buy anything, let alone something I'm likely to take back again.
I usually like to buy a few bits and pieces (clothes mainly) and then try them on at home and see if I like them or if they go with what I want them to go with.. if I do, I keep them, if I don't, I return them (or not.. if I am being particularly lazy)... not too keen on queuing up for dressing rooms etc etc.. thats all..

Em x
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
I usually like to buy a few bits and pieces (clothes mainly) and then try them on at home and see if I like them or if they go with what I want them to go with.. if I do, I keep them, if I don't, I return them (or not.. if I am being particularly lazy)... not too keen on queuing up for dressing rooms etc etc.. thats all..

Em x
I'm with Em. Can never face trying on things with 1 child and a baby in a buggy getting all stroppy, opening the curtains when I've just undressed etc. so I'd rather grab a couple of things and try them on in peace, then take back any that don't fit, look good etc.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 10:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Ok, so we're all different
Old Oct 4th 2009, 4:58 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Good customer service is about going above and beyond what is required by law.
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The UK law comparison

It appears that both countries have similar laws.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - although I must have taken advantage of it.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

People that would waver or defer a purchase if there were no returns otherwise will make a purchase if they think, "ooh, I know, I'll just buy it and if it's wrong I can bring it back". But most people don't bring it back. And of those that do come back to the store, they'll take store credit. And of those that take store credit, many of them won't actually spend it all. And even if they spend it, it still comes back as profit and the retailer had an interest-free loan of the money in the interim. And even if they do spend it all, the customer probably picked up something else in the meantime.

Sounds good mate.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by IvanM
Good customer service is about going above and beyond what is required by law.
Agreed. Most shops though do seem to offer the change of mind policy, and it won't be many days now before Big W change their mind, on their change of mind policy

Dick Smith, part of the Woolworths group have a really good change of mind policy.

If you find a lower price within 14 days of your purchase date, we will refund the difference*.
And...
if you change your mind within the same 14 days we will exchange or refund your purchase**.
I do find it odd, that different sections of one group, would go it alone on a policy like that.

Old Oct 4th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

I was in M&S in Glasgow in April, bought some stuff in the sale and was told at the checkout 'no refunds on sale items' - couldn't be bothered arguing with her as I wasn't exactly going to bring it back anyway, but surely that's not legal either??

AND it didn't fit after all!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.