Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How much better is it to live, and bring up Children, in Australia than the UK?

How much better is it to live, and bring up Children, in Australia than the UK?

Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much better is it to live, and bring up Children, in Australia than the UK?

Originally Posted by pab1974
Thanks for the time you took to reply.
I hope I can get a visa. I have enough points with my trade and I dont remember doing anything illegal ( that I've been caught for anyway!). I suppose some previously unknown ailment could always come to light in the medical but hopefully not.
I think that I am generally happy with our lives in every way other than I hate my job here! Unfortunately we are mortgaged to my salary and there are not many good jobs around in the Print industry these days (like most other manufacturing industries over here). From what I know of the Print trade in Australia there certainly seems to be a lot more jobs knocking around and from other guys I know that have already made the move down there the British print worker is thought of favorably.

I think, also, that life is too short for just staying in one place. I believe that when, in hopefully many years to come, I am lying on my death bed and I had just stayed in one place all my life then it would be too much of a regret. I think I would always regret not doing the move more than I would than if the move turned into a disaster. For as long as I can remember I have always wanted to experience living in a different country and Australia has always topped the bill.

Like others have implied though, maybe I am being selfish and should think more of what is best for the kids. Certainly, depriving the kids of their doting grandparents may not be in their best interests.
Your situation is very similar to what ours was! OH is in pre-press and was stuck at his company since apprenticeship - due to lack of job opportunities in the area and poor wages. He hated working there - but got a good salary with the huge amount of o/t he did. We lived in a nice part of the country - in between Bristol and Bath. I had to work part-time, over 4 days - because I didn't like to rely on OH's o/t.

We also wanted the experience of living abroad, new adventures, new areas to explore etc. Life was almost too comfortable, although we were both working more than we wanted. We had a great circle of friends and plenty of family close by.

However, we have now been in Australia for nearly two years and everything has turned out very well. OH has been in demand with his skills and no longer needs to do o/t as his basic salary is much better. I haven't needed to work. We have a lovely house in a fab area and Melbourne is a fantastic city. We have made lots of friends, Aussies, Brits, Kiwis, Europeans, South Africans. The girls have lots of friends and have settled extremely well into school and kinder. There is always lots going on, beautiful places to visit and great park facilities.

The only downside is being away from the grandparents. I'm sure we know what the kids are missing more than they do, but that is hard all the same.

Good luck with everything! Not sure about the printing trade in Sydney - but certainly there seems to be many opportunities in Melbourne and outer suburbs.

Rachel
Old Nov 8th 2007, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much better is it to live, and bring up Children, in Australia than the UK?

There are many things about Australia which concern me - concern me that much that I would consider leaving...BUT....

I think it is fantastic for kids. Young kids that is - probably pre-teen.

I was back in the UK a month ago and really didn't like what I saw with regard to the lfiestyles of kids there.

Mine are definitely enjoying childhood rather than being pushed into being an adult. There's less pressure at school, lots of sport and activities, other kids are generally fun-loving. Much more encouragement to do family things.

Definitely better here.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 3:47 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
There are many things about Australia which concern me - concern me that much that I would consider leaving...BUT....

I think it is fantastic for kids. Young kids that is - probably pre-teen.

I was back in the UK a month ago and really didn't like what I saw with regard to the lfiestyles of kids there.

Mine are definitely enjoying childhood rather than being pushed into being an adult. There's less pressure at school, lots of sport and activities, other kids are generally fun-loving. Much more encouragement to do family things.

Definitely better here.
Sounds like your trip back has helped you make your mind up then?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Sounds like your trip back has helped you make your mind up then?
Not at all.

These very positive experiences for young kids are constantly being weighed up against the negatives - of which there are many!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

holmes will become famous soon enough

You gotta give it a go - but definitely come on a recce first. I went to a 'immigration expo' before I came and in one lecture the guy explained that of all the emigres who return home within one year, the vast majority of them didn't go on a recce.

As for the grandparents, get here, get settled, get 'em out here too!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I just bumped this thread which gives lots of info about bringing up kids in Oz -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364535

Buzzy
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:40 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I just bumped this thread which gives lots of info about bringing up kids in Oz -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364535

Buzzy
Oh I thought it was a thread on making them
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
where did you get a piccie of my hubby?????
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

cee1jay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by holmes
Nope - NSW, about 40km north of Sydney. And I know it's all relative - I'm comparing to traffic in London, Colchester, and the M25 in between....... I remember even on a Sunday it would take us ages to get anywhere, and the thought of Tesco's anytime after midday - the 7th circle of hell!
We are moving to the Hills District in Jan on skilled visa,Would be greatful of any info on the area/nice districts to live in
Old Nov 10th 2007, 11:55 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi cee... perhaps you could start a new thread on that subject? Seems like no-one's getting back to this one...
Old Nov 11th 2007, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Hi cee... perhaps you could start a new thread on that subject? Seems like no-one's getting back to this one...
Nappy changing is quicker as they're wearing less.

My daughter has gone through 3 just this morning. She's got the metabolism of a duck.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Nappy changing is quicker as they're wearing less.

My daughter has gone through 3 just this morning. She's got the metabolism of a duck.
THAT'S why you need the J cloths....
Old Nov 11th 2007, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

THAT'S why you need the J cloths....
I think Vim's needs are greater than mine

I'm proud of the fact I have never made one mess when changing a nappy. And they always get a proper wash every time. None of this switch one quick before they know it business.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think Vim's needs are greater than mine

I'm proud of the fact I have never made one mess when changing a nappy. And they always get a proper wash every time. None of this switch one quick before they know it business.
I don't know what that is. It's been 3 years since I changed a nappy, thank god.

<shudder>