Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How much better is it to live, and bring up Children, in Australia than the UK?

How much better is it to live, and bring up Children, in Australia than the UK?

Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:10 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much better is it to live, and bring up Children, in Australia than the UK?

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Could even go upmarket and head for Gravesend if money is no object.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:16 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much better is it to live, and bring up Children, in Australia than the UK?

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Could even go upmarket and head for Gravesend if money is no object.
Fwoooooooooooor! Yeah! Nice.

(Never been)
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:20 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Fwoooooooooooor! Yeah! Nice.

(Never been)
The clue is in the name. Makes Dartford look like Monte Carlo.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
The clue is in the name. Makes Dartford look like Monte Carlo.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:18 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

if you fancy vegas you could try skegness

Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
if you fancy vegas you could try skegness

http://bestsmileys.com/puking/1.gif
But does Skegness have the Nevada desert nearby?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:20 am

But does Skegness have the Nevada desert nearby?
yes, cleethorps
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
yes, cleethorps
I'm sold.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:24 am

I'm sold.
cheap and cheerful
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:31 pm
Cobber

pab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You seem to have a good life now. I understand the itch although we didn't have it but we did have a good life even if hubby worked all the hours someone sends for sod all money. What we didn't have which you appear to is close loving grandparents. They are worth their weight in gold and never underestimate how much you will all miss them and them you. We were happy to move somewhere where we knew no one. Are you and your wife happy to do that?

Hutch is right as is Tiddly Pom. Your reasons need to be right and if you can take a year out and experiment with it then do so.

We wanted a new experience and we've been incredibly lucky - and it was luck because all the research in the world doesn't matter a fig when you get here. I'd love to say - sod everything and give it a go but I can't. You sound happy with your lives and dare I say it, you could possibly be having the dreaded mid life crisis (early ).

Visit first, then decide. Oh and do you actually know you are able to get a visa? It would be terrible to get really excited by the move but then find you are not eligible.
Thanks for the time you took to reply.
I hope I can get a visa. I have enough points with my trade and I dont remember doing anything illegal ( that I've been caught for anyway!). I suppose some previously unknown ailment could always come to light in the medical but hopefully not.
I think that I am generally happy with our lives in every way other than I hate my job here! Unfortunately we are mortgaged to my salary and there are not many good jobs around in the Print industry these days (like most other manufacturing industries over here). From what I know of the Print trade in Australia there certainly seems to be a lot more jobs knocking around and from other guys I know that have already made the move down there the British print worker is thought of favorably.

I think, also, that life is too short for just staying in one place. I believe that when, in hopefully many years to come, I am lying on my death bed and I had just stayed in one place all my life then it would be too much of a regret. I think I would always regret not doing the move more than I would than if the move turned into a disaster. For as long as I can remember I have always wanted to experience living in a different country and Australia has always topped the bill.

Like others have implied though, maybe I am being selfish and should think more of what is best for the kids. Certainly, depriving the kids of their doting grandparents may not be in their best interests.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pab1974
Thanks for the time you took to reply.
I hope I can get a visa. I have enough points with my trade and I dont remember doing anything illegal ( that I've been caught for anyway!). I suppose some previously unknown ailment could always come to light in the medical but hopefully not.
I think that I am generally happy with our lives in every way other than I hate my job here! Unfortunately we are mortgaged to my salary and there are not many good jobs around in the Print industry these days (like most other manufacturing industries over here). From what I know of the Print trade in Australia there certainly seems to be a lot more jobs knocking around and from other guys I know that have already made the move down there the British print worker is thought of favorably.

I think, also, that life is too short for just staying in one place. I believe that when, in hopefully many years to come, I am lying on my death bed and I had just stayed in one place all my life then it would be too much of a regret. I think I would always regret not doing the move more than I would than if the move turned into a disaster. For as long as I can remember I have always wanted to experience living in a different country and Australia has always topped the bill.

Like others have implied though, maybe I am being selfish and should think more of what is best for the kids. Certainly, depriving the kids of their doting grandparents may not be in their best interests.
Can I ask - have you actually been to Australia? If you haven't then perhaps a short trip is worthwhile just to get your head around what exactly it is you would be swapping for. It would be expensive but then on the other hand if you are talking about a life changing decision then its probably worth investing a little money in now so as not to waste a lot later.

We were unsure about Sydney (we originally wanted to go to Melbourne) but having made the visit last month I am now convinced it is the place for us. I think we saw enough good and bad to be going in with our eyes open. if you want to read my Sydney post have a look here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488235

I am of the same view as you. If I don't go I know that in a few years time I will regret it.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 5:46 pm
cavey wavey

ivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really nice

how did you get hold of my photo album
Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:07 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Pab - you obviously have a great life in York but something must be missing if you want to emigrate.
A lot of people who are telling you to be wary are actually very happy in Australia. yes you get people posting about how unhappy they are but equally lots of people settle easily and don't look back.
I say go for it - just make sure you do plenty of research. You won't know until you try it.
Disclaimer - If you are extremely close to family and friends and rely heavily on them be extra sure you can manage without them.
Disclaimer no.2 - I haven't emigrated to Australia yet although I have lived in other countries
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:42 pm

Yes, don't have regrets... that's more damaging than anything, I think.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If it is only your job that is making you unhappy then don't do it! I know absolutely nothing about the printing trade other than the husband of a colleague packed in a well paid public service job to set up his own printing business and after several years had gone through all their money and run them into debt. The result is that she now has to work in a job that she LOATHES just to keep them from going under and he had rejoined the public service with virtually nothing in his super and almost retirement age. Get a new job, dont uproot your family. No guarantee that any other job is going to be less boring. What does your wife think about all this???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.