Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How many waiting to come to Oz read the going back forum?

How many waiting to come to Oz read the going back forum?

Old Dec 29th 2006, 12:59 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many waiting to come to Oz read the going back forum?

Just wondered how many of the people waiting for their visas and planning to come out here read the going back forum to get some other prospectives?
There has been a lot written lately about the overly pro-Australia posts on this forum and the lack of balance.
I know when we were planning to come I didn't read the Mbtt UK as it scared me to much. Not sure if it would have made any difference if I had, only your own experiences can really teach you about yourself.

Also been surprised by the number of people I have corresponded with lately that are looking at doing 2 then out.

Not been on that much for a while as the cooler weather has enabled as to get out and about, the scorching times are here now so I find myself doing less outside now then in the Autumn/Spring, so in the aircon during the day looking for something to do.

Kevin

Last edited by kevinl; Dec 29th 2006 at 1:47 pm. Reason: pissed spelling
Old Dec 29th 2006, 1:25 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many waiting to come to Oz read the going back forum?

Originally Posted by kevinl
Just wondered how many of the people waiting for their visas and planning to come out here read the going back forum to get some other prospectives?
There has been a lot written lately about the overly pro-Australia posts on this forum and the lack of balance.
I know when we were planning to come I didn't read the GBUK as it scared me to much. Not sure if it would have made any difference if I had, only your own experiences can really teach you about yourself.

Also been surprised by the number of people I have corresponded with lately that are looking at doing 2 then out.

Not been on that much for a while as the cooler weather has enabled as to get out and about, the scorching times are here now so I find myself doing less outside now then in the Autumn/Spring, so in the aircon during the day looking for something to do.

Kevin
Loads of Oz posters read the MBTTUK forum...we are not as uninformed or subjective in our viewpoints and knowledge as some would like to believe.

For most people emigrating is the biggest risk (and/or adventure) they will ever take. I have enough faith in the majority of fellow posters to believe that they have considered more than their first prawn on the barbie and cold beer from the eskie before they spend thousands on a visa, leave jobs, homes and family and friends behind.

Last edited by busterboy; Dec 29th 2006 at 1:39 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 1:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How many waiting to come to Oz read the going back forum?

I know when we were planning to come I didn't read the GBUK as it scared me to much. Not sure if it would have made any difference if I had, only your own experiences can really teach you about yourself.
My advice to anyone considering Australia is to read both forums, visit the place, and make up your own mind on the basis of your personal experience.

I'd say they're being very sensible.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I read it most days and whilst I find a lot of the posts very bitter I can understand why.
Things didn't work out how people had hope for, for a lot of reasons and that unfortuantly is life. So for various reasons they dislike Australia with a real passion. I find things here that really frustrate me but I don't let them get to me, but if I didn't like it here they would really start to wind me up.

John
Old Dec 29th 2006, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

Kevin
Hi Kevin

I do like Australia but I find myself drawn to the MBttUK forum more and more. A bit like a moth to a light really as I know I shouldn't do it but I can't help it.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I have looked at the mbttuk forum but don't visit it on a regular basis. I don't want to be negative about my move! Although I am trying to be realistic.

SOME of the people who move out there and hate it, I think have not thought it through properly in advance. A bit like the people on the 'no going back' shows who seem stunned that everything in Italy has not been translated in to English for them. Others have not given it a chance - they decide after three days that they are homesick and then four weeks later they are home again.

Our plan is to give it a few years, in a couple of different parts of Oz, and then if it's not for us we will come back having given it our best shot. Then we'll try another country! So much world out there, so little time....
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Carlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to all

interesting reading, I'm not familar with this website mbttuk, please advise the full web link as I would like to have a brouse of some of the comments..

Thanks
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:39 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How many waiting to come to Oz read the going back forum?

Originally Posted by Carlton Cold's
interesting reading, I'm not familar with this website mbttuk, please advise the full web link as I would like to have a brouse of some of the comments..

Thanks
MBTTUK = Moving Back To The UK. It's a forum on this site.

Click here to read it.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Carlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to all

Thanks alot, I'll have a quick nosy, but we only recently submitted our visa application so are trying to stay on the positive side..

Cheers again
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:45 pm
SuzieB

blowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of light

I didn't read it before going out - had the full rose coloured glasses thing going before heading out.
Then when i got there and felt homesick, I ended up being drawn to it.
I think its helpful in a number of ways - puts a bit of realism out there for people like me who have their head in the clouds, and also, if you do have a "down " day in Oz, and fancy a whinge - there are loads of other people only too willing to listen and agree. A bit of a moan can get things out of your system sometimes.

Definitely recommended reading though, although as someone about to ping back to Oz for a second go, i do read it with a bit of trepidation
Old Dec 29th 2006, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

fair point and a good idea, thanks for the comments and I'll check it out..
Cheers
Russell & Sarah
Old Dec 29th 2006, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi I think all information is good whether it has a positive or negative slant. It is what you do with it that is important. Everyone is an individual and entitled to their own opinion. I do read posts on the mbttuk forum and find them informative... and kinda sad. I don't think people would go through this process if they knew it would make them unhappy.

Donna & Neil
Old Dec 29th 2006, 5:33 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil
Hi I think all information is good whether it has a positive or negative slant. It is what you do with it that is important. Everyone is an individual and entitled to their own opinion. I do read posts on the mbttuk forum and find them informative... and kinda sad. I don't think people would go through this process if they knew it would make them unhappy.
I read the posts on that forum too - I feel desperately sorry for those who didn't find the life/adventure/experience to be what they hoped it would be - and even more sorry for those who now find themselves trapped in a world they hate

All I can do is hope that we'll be one of the families who can make a go of it - if we're not, then at least, like everyone else on the MBTTUK forum, we won't be wondering "what if"s when we're grey(er) and old(er)

Lynne
Old Dec 29th 2006, 6:56 pm
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit that i also read it.

i find reading a different view of Oz to be very interesting.

I sincerely hope that if/when we get our visa's we can make a new life in Oz, but i accept that all the posters on there also had the same hopes and aspirations as we did, and as much as i value their experience i think you can only get out of life what u put into it.

If it doesn't work i am glad that there is a forum to vent my fustrations, and hopefully some shoulders to cry on. However I hope i would never "shoot anyone down in flames" for their views either pro or anti Oz.

Different peoples' perceptions of the world is what has shaped the human race (good or bad)!
Old Dec 30th 2006, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I read it from time to time and the vitriol towards Australia amazes me.

I don't love Australia with a passion above all else, but equally nor do I feel that way about UK. Basically I am happy with my life here and do not want to move on.

The MbttUK group seem to blame Aus for everything...it is still a normal life here, with dull bills to pay, bureaucracy to cope with, work to do. Perhaps because people get the idea that life in Oz will be easier/cheaper/100pct fun but basically like a warm relaxed UK, that disillusionment kicks in. I can't imagine too many people sounding off about France in the same way they do Oz...

So many people complain about the 'done the beach/barbie thing to death'- it really makes me wonder what they do in UK that is so different. It is a bit like saying 'I'm bored with the UK, done the quaint old church/green countryside bit".

And this is not saying the returners are wrong- each to their own- I just am really perplexed why they have to justify their return by being so anti-Oz. Surely you can move where you like without hating the place you leave behind????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.