Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How to get your rental bond back in Perth?

How to get your rental bond back in Perth?

Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:09 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to get your rental bond back in Perth?

I'm struggling to stay calm with the rental agents in charge of the property I had in Fremantle. I wonder if any one can offer any advice. I've had major issues with them since I originally moved in and now they are trying to refuse the return of my bond ($4500 so not a drop in the ocean) I'm at my wit's end.

Since the beginning of the tenancy they have just not responded to me at all. I've emailed and called the manager, the property manager, her boss... and the only way I've found to get any of these people to respond is by holding back rent.

A few months ago we had an attempted burglary and the front door was damaged beyond repair and the lock smashed. I called the property manager all day and couldn't get a response so finally gave up and got an emergency carpenter and locksmith - at a cost to me of $700. It's a better door and a more secure lock. I emailed the agent about a week later to say what I had done. I didn't hear anything once again. Now I've moved out and done the quick walk around with them they told me I would get a 100% of my deposit back. However, the owners are now back and want the locks changed back and compensation for the door. I'm not prepared to roll over here. Do I have a leg to stand on? As far as I'm concerned I was unable to get permission for the work as the agents didn't answer the phone and I couldn't have a broken door on the front of the house indefinitely.

I've emailed REIWA to see what they suggest but I'm not hopeful.... Is it worth consulting a lawyer?
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:18 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get your rental bond back in Perth?

Is there a police report about the attempted b/e and damage? Did you take photo's of the damaged door? That might help a case. Otherwise it might be your word against theirs regarding the damage caused to lock and door.

Otherwise you might get some good advice from:

http://www.taswa.org/help/how_to_get...m#helpadvocate

http://www.murdoch.edu.au/School-of-...ern-Australia/

http://www.legalaid.wa.gov.au/Inform...alTenants.aspx
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:33 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get your rental bond back in Perth?

Have you spoken to the Department of Commerce? My son had problems with a rental in W.A & they had a helpline number to call for advice. [1300 30 40 54]