Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how do I watch you tube videos without them pausing all the time?

how do I watch you tube videos without them pausing all the time?

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:33 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do I watch you tube videos without them pausing all the time?

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yep. When I get a job I might treat myself
Looks like you may win the Suburbs COntest , theres 100 bucks into the kitty !!!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Looks like you may win the Suburbs COntest , theres 100 bucks into the kitty !!!

I'm not bothered about that honey, I'm having fun doing it.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:17 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone tell me how I put youtube clips on here so that the tv screen is there so people can see what the link is?
When I do it it's just a written link
(If that makes sense? )
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

538 ...is this because the laptop is connected to the desktop?
Er, sounds like a song
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the test link @boy

Mine says 274 kb/s - have tried several times and is around the same each time.

Have to confess I don't know what it means but it doesn't seem good. Is it?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

my broadband test said 1283 is that good or bad???
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:59 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gerry
my broadband test said 1283 is that good or bad???
It is pretty much correct for the 1500(down)/256(up) kbps connection you probably have.

Nothing wrong with that speed :-)
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

i dont know what that means!!!

but if you say its ok then it must be lol
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by kitty4
Thanks for the test link @boy

Mine says 274 kb/s - have tried several times and is around the same each time.

Have to confess I don't know what it means but it doesn't seem good. Is it?
I'm assuming your DSL connection is 512kb ?
The speed you will achieve on DSL will decrease signifigantly the further your home is from the portt you are connected to in your local exchange.

You would normally expect your actual measured speed to be approx 70 to 80% of the advertised speed, so for a 512kbps connection, expect to get 384.

If you are only getting 274, then you are either a fair distancee from your exchange (at the limits of accessibility), or you have a noisy line that is slowing you down.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

MrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant future

this is because of your download internet connection speed. and also the speed at which other users are watching the same video as you, which is the upload speed. If there are say 1000 people all downloadin / streaming the video from the same source its obvious that it will run slow,

what to do

who are you with for your internet connection? im with Orange broadband, and i have 8 meg downloads,allthough i opend several other ports which are available,but the service provider normally leaves them closed. now my machines insane for downloads, i downloaded a film the other day in 11 mins

go to google, enter your service providers name and open ports.

i.e ntl broadband open ports. when i googled it the user name was orangebb and the password was pass
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by MrRivaz

who are you with for your internet connection? im with Orange broadband, and i have 8 meg downloads,allthough i opend several other ports which are available,but the service provider normally leaves them closed. now my machines insane for downloads, i downloaded a film the other day in 11 mins

Important to note that your d/l speed is not a function of who you are with, but rather what plan you have subscribed to (depending on what you want to pay)

The original poster has confirmed her d/l speed is only approx 270kbps.
You have confirmed yours is 8mbps (i.e. 32 times faster !)

The original poster is on a basic 512kb download plan, whereas you appear to be on a DSL2+ 8Mb plan.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:31 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Back 10 yrs ago, doing websites, our aim was always to create a 30kb page limit size, which loads in under 30 seconds on a 56k modem !

That rule still really applies these days, however speeds have increased significantly...

I wonder how many ppl, never clean their cache,temp int folder, cookies and browser history ! I reckon it would be a huge proportion.. the significant change in speed I think, would be shocking !
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Just as the title says. How do I watch things like You tube video clips - when they keep pausing every few seconds it drives me nuts and puts me off. Why do they (and other online vidoe clips) do this? Sometimes I can watch a boring bit of a clip uninterupted but when it gets good, the pausing and squeaky noises start again.

I appreciate I may appear quite dumb asking this, but my computer literacy only goes as far as basic email/web browsing/word processing/powerpoint.

Please someone - put me out of misery - either everyone has to watch them like this or I am doing something wrong and can fix it.

Cheers

as others have said......internet connection and speed will cause this......But also the speed and spec of your computer as well.............we have broadband - bt up to 8mb (yeah right.....more like 2.5mb) and on my laptop I have no problems streaming you tube clips but on me wifes laptop hers would pause like you have said.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

My plan says I am subscribed to (12GB) 256/64

I haven't a clue what this means

We are a bit rural but not far from everything really.

My computers (desktop and laptop) are both new last year and although I don't understand the specs I asked for something decent because I use the internet a lot for work as well as the office programmes for work. Bet the computer sales guys see me coming a mile off like a woman taking a car in for repairs

What do you mean by a ''noisy line'' @boy?

So I'm assuming the 270 kbs speed I'm getting isn't a good deal then?

Thanks

Last edited by kitty4; Feb 4th 2008 at 5:06 am. Reason: typos
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

My plan says I am subscribed to (12GB) 256/64

I haven't a clue what this means

We are a bit rural but not far from everything really.

My computers (desktop and laptop) are both new last year and although I don't understand the specs I asked for something decent because I use the internet a lot for work as well as the office programmes for work. Bet the computer sales guys see me coming a mile off like a woman taking a car in for repairs

What do you mean by a ''noisy line'' @boy?

So I'm assuming the 270 kbs speed I'm getting isn't a good deal then?

Thanks

Hello, if you're getting 270 speed I think that's good as you've only signed up for 256 (I think that's right?) so I've just been told by Bigpond! I have just rung them as we are having on going problems with my connection, I have been told we have a 'noisy line' aswell which means that somewhere along the line there is probably something that isn't plugged into a filter. We have foxtel and now think that is causing our problems so I have to get another filter box to plug that into. We have the same 256/64 plan aswell but I'm going to upgrade that to 1500 which is an extra $10 a month but have been promised it will be 4-5 times faster (I have the same problems trying to watch youtube clips) hope this helps
S xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.