Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Hola unblocker - BBC iplayer gone?!!!!!!

Hola unblocker - BBC iplayer gone?!!!!!!

Old Apr 8th 2013, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hola unblocker - BBC iplayer gone?!!!!!!

Originally Posted by GarryP
As I explained above, the chink the geolocation armour of the Beeb was well known and understood - even without checking the forums, just checking their access logs would have told them what was happening. It was always just a matter of time before they closed over the chink.

They can find and block the ip addresses used by VPN providers as well if they want - indeed they have been known to do so for years on certain TV services. Additionally they can automate the process if they desire - tracking high usage IP addresses is a no brainer.

In the end you either download once and re-serve the file (eg torrents) or have a personal VPN service that's so low usage it goes under the radar.

Well, actually there IS another way, but I'm keeping that one quiet as a personal backstop

I agree, but it is not a good idea to draw attention to these sights by posting, PM is best!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 6:40 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
As I explained above, the chink the geolocation armour of the Beeb was well known and understood - even without checking the forums, just checking their access logs would have told them what was happening. It was always just a matter of time before they closed over the chink.

They can find and block the ip addresses used by VPN providers as well if they want - indeed they have been known to do so for years on certain TV services. Additionally they can automate the process if they desire - tracking high usage IP addresses is a no brainer.

In the end you either download once and re-serve the file (eg torrents) or have a personal VPN service that's so low usage it goes under the radar.

Well, actually there IS another way, but I'm keeping that one quiet as a personal backstop
Originally Posted by Saxy

I agree, but it is not a good idea to draw attention to these sights by posting, PM is best!
You're both right. Any mods reading this can you please delete the reference from my post above in numbers 13 and 14. Ta

For my thrupenceworth, It also depends on how each VPN service operates. I'm sure the beeb and others have been playing catchup and go for years....
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

I may be wrong but are these people trying to get BBC content for nothing when licence payers in the UK and others in countries like Australia who subscribe properly fund the programming.

Probably the same kind of people who see no problem in taking a mars bar from the newsagent without paying.

Last edited by neil248; Apr 8th 2013 at 7:29 am.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
I may be wrong but are these people trying to get BBC content for nothing when licence payers in the UK and others in countries like Australia who subscribe properly fund the programming.

Probably the same kind of people who see no problem in taking a mars bar from the newsagent without paying
There's a good reason to get rid of their TV tax right there
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There's a good reason to get rid of their TV tax right there
Why, because some scumbags think it is ok to steal
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's the UK's gift to the world
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

I would advise a no response to this post, or the arguement will go on and on and get nowhere!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

We may be stupid but pay $9.50 a month for BBC iplayer

Plus who exactly are you to advise a no response to a post from someone who chooses to pay the BBC for its service rather than steal it

Last edited by neil248; Apr 8th 2013 at 8:32 am.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

We may be stupid but pay $9.50 a month for BBC iplayer

Plus who exactly are you to advise a no response to a post from someone who chooses to pay the BBC for its service rather than steal it
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Plus if the BBC did not have to spend all that effort chasing these dodgy sites BBC iplayer Australia might actually work all the time instead of just some of it.

Plus BBC iplayer Australia shows different content to the UK which means we have to watch the newest Top Gear on Channel 9 which is something no one should really have to suffer.

Plus have also wondered if anyone else does actually pay the $9.50 per month.

In fact the BBC is rather mean as it took Top Gear off SBS which is a proper public service tv channel and sold out to channel 9 who make it basically unwatchable so maybe any loyalty is somewhat misplaced.

Last edited by neil248; Apr 8th 2013 at 8:52 am.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:28 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Plus if the BBC did not have to spend all that effort chasing these dodgy sites BBC iplayer Australia might actually work all the time instead of just some of it.

Plus BBC iplayer Australia shows different content to the UK which means we have to watch the newest Top Gear on Channel 9 which is something no one should really have to suffer.

Plus have also wondered if anyone else does actually pay the $9.50 per month.

In fact the BBC is rather mean as it took Top Gear off SBS which is a proper public service tv channel and sold out to channel 9 who make it basically unwatchable so maybe any loyalty is somewhat misplaced.
So when are you ditching your $9.50 a month subscription?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Do like a good whinge so still good value as when it fails have a whinge and just use ABC i view which always works so contrary to popular opinion there is always something good to watch for free on Australian tv. Much of of it sourced from the BBC which we already pay $9.50 for on the BBC i player which may or may not work.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

FilmOn, has all the UK channels that it removed, back in operation. Their lawyers have obviously been on the job!
Old May 4th 2013, 9:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

https://mediahint.com/ for Firefox and Chrome. Just been watching Graham Norton and Corrie using Chrome.

Similar to Hola but no ON/OFF button.

Apparently, it just routes streaming traffic through their servers http://www.howtogeek.com/128449/medi....s.-residents/, but I disable it until needed.
Old May 5th 2013, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not wasting any more time keeping up with the changes on accessing overseas TV until "Spotify" for video media comes along, then I'll happily pay... upto 50 bucks PM for a premium service that I know will work as soon as I switch on my TV and Computer. Reasion being, access modes seem to change more often than I actually watch a program.

Surely it has to be in the pipeline like Quick or Netflix ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.