Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Has anyone a 'buy to let' in UK whilst living in Oz?

Has anyone a 'buy to let' in UK whilst living in Oz?

Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Has anyone a 'buy to let' in UK whilst living in Oz?

Thinking of buying a cheap....well, as cheap as poss, investment property in the UK. Sydney prices used to be well above the UK, but of course that's all changed now, so really want to keep something there for that reason (determined to get back to UK at some point).

Has anyone any pointers and tips? Can you claim tax refund on Aussie earnings for cost of property upkeep in the UK? Any nasty surprises in store for UK buy to lets run from overseas?

What else should I know? And if anyone knows of a half-decent financial advisor and/or accountant in Sydney I'd love to hear about them as I've only been able to find complete bozos who I'd rather not entrust my few dollars to!

Or any websites...haven't been able to really track anything worthwhile down and estate agents don't return emails. Maybe they can't read and I need to phone them direct!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 4:35 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone a 'buy to let' in UK whilst living in Oz?

Originally Posted by ezzie
Thinking of buying a cheap....well, as cheap as poss, investment property in the UK. Sydney prices used to be well above the UK, but of course that's all changed now, so really want to keep something there for that reason (determined to get back to UK at some point).

Has anyone any pointers and tips? Can you claim tax refund on Aussie earnings for cost of property upkeep in the UK? Any nasty surprises in store for UK buy to lets run from overseas?

What else should I know? And if anyone knows of a half-decent financial advisor and/or accountant in Sydney I'd love to hear about them as I've only been able to find complete bozos who I'd rather not entrust my few dollars to!

Or any websites...haven't been able to really track anything worthwhile down and estate agents don't return emails. Maybe they can't read and I need to phone them direct!
I can give you the number of my accountant if you like. I haven't actually used him yet, but he comes very highly recommended by people I work with, so I am hoping that he is going to be worth the additional expense.

As for the first part of your question, I am thinking of doing exactly the same re. and investment property back in the UK - especially as it looks like prices are likely to decline over the coming months. Now may well be a good time to pick up a bargain back in the home country...

I will be interested to see more responses to this thread.

S

S
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Santos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant future

I've got three apartments in Manchester and am currently debating whether to keep them or sell and buy some rental properties in Australia when I go. Think there is a psychological element to it, if I held properties here I would not have cut all ties. Perhaps it would make it easier to come home if all wasn't going well, rather than taking the rough with the smooth.

It's a difficult decision.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Santos
I've got three apartments in Manchester and am currently debating whether to keep them or sell and buy some rental properties in Australia when I go. Think there is a psychological element to it, if I held properties here I would not have cut all ties. Perhaps it would make it easier to come home if all wasn't going well, rather than taking the rough with the smooth.

It's a difficult decision.
Santos, are you taxed on income here or somehow in the UK? How are you managing the letting? Do you own them outright or have a mortgage on any of them....you're just the person to know the sort of info I need. Personally, I'd hang onto them and let them sit there earning a little income, unless you need the funds to purchase something you want over here...a little McMansion perhaps!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I can give you the number of my accountant if you like. I haven't actually used him yet, but he comes very highly recommended by people I work with, so I am hoping that he is going to be worth the additional expense.

As for the first part of your question, I am thinking of doing exactly the same re. and investment property back in the UK - especially as it looks like prices are likely to decline over the coming months. Now may well be a good time to pick up a bargain back in the home country...

I will be interested to see more responses to this thread.

S

S
yes, please Swervo! would love your accountants name..
Old Nov 11th 2007, 6:10 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Im planning on renting out , havent properly looked into it all yet so will be watching this thread with interest
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:57 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
yes, please Swervo! would love your accountants name..
I will PM you.

S
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:03 pm
NO, we're GOING there....

gorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nice

We have a house in Sussex that we have let prior to us coming out to Aus in January. Also have flat's in London & Oxford that are let. Not sure about tax - will ask OH & let you know.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

If you are in Australia you are taxed on world wide income, less any tax you have been paid, then you have the problem of the 6 month window of opportunity re bringing money or pensions from the uk, you need to speak to a financial consultant.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by somme
If you are in Australia you are taxed on world wide income, less any tax you have been paid, then you have the problem of the 6 month window of opportunity re bringing money or pensions from the uk, you need to speak to a financial consultant.
What are we both doing up at this unearthly hour I ask myself

Lau x
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Reedy
What are we both doing up at this unearthly hour I ask myself

Lau x
Can't sleep
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Can't sleep
Me neither Have to be up at 7am too - isn't looking good....

Lau x
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Reedy
Me neither Have to be up at 7am too - isn't looking good....

Lau x
NIGHT
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

NIGHT
Night to you too honey - sleep well, sweet dreams