Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Great Quorn Debate

The Great Quorn Debate

Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:06 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Great Quorn Debate

Originally Posted by bcworld
I used to love Linda McCartney sausages.....are they still around?
I'm surprised there's anything of her left.......
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the best alternative might be... meat.
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
I read somewhere that there is a possibility that Quorn may be available starting in 2010 - but that wasn't from the Quorn website so it may just be twaddle.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I miss Quorn, Sanitarium products just sound too much like female sanitary products and put me right off buying their stuff for my dinner!
I know what you mean about the name!

I have some Sanitarium vegie mince which is 99% fat free and I can cope with it if I make a chilli to hide the taste of it!Their burgers are ok.Frys do vegie sausage I can't remember the taste so I will have to try them again,they also do a burger which is horrible.Cole sell a nice vegie burger I can't remember the make but at nearly $8 for four are very expensive

The good thing for me is I do make a lot of things from scratch with lots of fresh veg and have not poisoned myself or my daughter yetSue.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:17 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petensue
I know what you mean about the name!

I have some Sanitarium vegie mince which is 99% fat free and I can cope with it if I make a chilli to hide the taste of it!Their burgers are ok.Frys do vegie sausage I can't remember the taste so I will have to try them again,they also do a burger which is horrible.Cole sell a nice vegie burger I can't remember the make but at nearly $8 for four are very expensive

The good thing for me is I do make a lot of things from scratch with lots of fresh veg and have not poisoned myself or my daughter yetSue.
But why the vegetarian diet? Your body isn't designed to eat it, providing vegetables kills more animals than providing meat and it's a bugger to get all the essential vitamins and minerals you need.

Last edited by Burbage; Sep 25th 2009 at 2:19 am.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

well the 2 veges in my life are neither moral nor health vegetarians but both detested meat from early childhood and now have such a strong aversion to it cannot be persuaded otherwise....we all have something we hate the taste of just a major pain for me who cooks that they live in my house!
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:27 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

There must be alternatives available - I work with loads of vegetarians and quite a few vegans. They're all quite healthy looking and active, too.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
But why the vegetarian diet? Your body isn't designed to eat it, providing vegetables kills more animals than providing meat and it's a bugger to get all the essential vitamins and minerals you need.
I have no idea if what you say is correct.I was just never happy eating meat even from a child and I just did not feel right in eating an animal.My three children were brought up eating meat and my middle daughter asked to become a vegetarian for some time before I gave in and let her.

Sometimes I wish I could have a bacon sandwich or a bit of fish but I know I never will.It is hard to explain why it just feels right to me.Sue.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:54 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Tempeh Tasty 300g
Price $4.29
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:35 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Just surfing round for something and came across this; did you write it, Burby?

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/why...0328-9esz.html
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:52 am
Demi-God

Originally Posted by Seasider
Just surfing round for something and came across this; did you write it, Burby?

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/why...0328-9esz.html
No. But it is rather obvious is it not.

By the way, unless vegetarians are growing their food in space. and then consuming it in some kind of super clean tent with filtered air etc, then it is actually impossible to eat anything without eating animals.

What I find rather amusing is that people who don't eat meat in order to save the animals (which actually has the opposite effect) go to enormous lengths in order to try an produce vegetarian food that tastes like meat.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

No. But it is rather obvious is it not.

By the way, unless vegetarians are growing their food in space. and then consuming it in some kind of super clean tent with filtered air etc, then it is actually impossible to eat anything without eating animals.

What I find rather amusing is that people who don't eat meat in order to save the animals (which actually has the opposite effect) go to enormous lengths in order to try an produce vegetarian food that tastes like meat.
I think it depends if you stop eating meat because you don't like the taste or you don't like eating animals.If you don't like the taste then you don't miss it but I must admit there is one or two meat things I miss so veggie food that tastes like meat can be very nice.Sue.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:50 am
Demi-God

Originally Posted by petensue
I think it depends if you stop eating meat because you don't like the taste or you don't like eating animals.If you don't like the taste then you don't miss it but I must admit there is one or two meat things I miss so veggie food that tastes like meat can be very nice.Sue.
Is it not easier to just eat the one or two meats that you like?

Why limit yourself?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:41 am
Auntie Fa

I'm with you on that one. There's a restaurant in Pitt St, Sydney, called Mother Chu's Vegetarian Kitchen. It does some great Asian food but I just don't get the dishes that are supposed to look like meat; maybe if I stopped eating meat, I would.

(It also has a whole section of the menu dedicated to meals containing "gluten". I don't get that, either and I'm gluten-intolerant.)

Burbage, you're like a drug dealer. Stop trying to make people eat meat when they don't want to!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Burbage, you're like a drug dealer. Stop trying to make people eat meat when they don't want to!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:10 am
Demi-God

I'm with you on that one. There's a restaurant in Pitt St, Sydney, called Mother Chu's Vegetarian Kitchen. It does some great Asian food but I just don't get the dishes that are supposed to look like meat; maybe if I stopped eating meat, I would.

(It also has a whole section of the menu dedicated to meals containing "gluten". I don't get that, either and I'm gluten-intolerant.)

But they do want to, they just, from some misguided sense of propriety, think they shouldn't

You only live once folks. There are plenty more pigs where this lot came from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.