Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Getting out of an Orange mobile contract

Getting out of an Orange mobile contract

Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Idlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really nice
Default Getting out of an Orange mobile contract

Hi all,

Wea re off to Perth in 4 weeks time (at last),and I've juts contacted our mobile phone provider, Orange, to organise cancellation of our mobile contract. Both mine and the wife's phones are on this contract, plus the broadband which we get for free due to teh contract amount.

theres approx. 18 months left on my phone and just under the two years left on hers; Orange have said that due to the remaining time left we have to "buy out" of the contracts and have quoted me an approx. figure of £500!!! due to the time left.

When we renewed the phones I was told that it wasn't going to be a problem getting the contract cancelled; anybody out there any ideas or solutions? Been in this boat as well??

Cheers,

Terry
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:52 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Re: Getting out of an Orange mobile contract

Originally Posted by Idlewood
Hi all,

Wea re off to Perth in 4 weeks time (at last),and I've juts contacted our mobile phone provider, Orange, to organise cancellation of our mobile contract. Both mine and the wife's phones are on this contract, plus the broadband which we get for free due to teh contract amount.

theres approx. 18 months left on my phone and just under the two years left on hers; Orange have said that due to the remaining time left we have to "buy out" of the contracts and have quoted me an approx. figure of £500!!! due to the time left.

When we renewed the phones I was told that it wasn't going to be a problem getting the contract cancelled; anybody out there any ideas or solutions? Been in this boat as well??

Cheers,

Terry
In that boat right now!! They reduced our contracts from £35 a month to £20, but i still think it is a joke!!! I can't even use the orange sim over here, or I could MAYBE see their point!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Idlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really nice

We're spending roughly £35 each on our phones a month with the package we're on; did you reduce the package to the basic one but still have to pay that until the contract terminates??
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:06 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Cheers,

Terry
We had 10 phones on one account with them (used for work and business) with over a year left on the contracts we rang them the day before we left and told them we would pay up to the latest balance and no more. They agreed after I pointed out I could pay nothing and they could send the bill to an unoccupied property instead.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

You signed a contract so legally there's not much you can do. With O2 you can go down one tariff a month, so try to get yourself onto the lowest tariff possible to make the "buy out" cheaper.

I'm in the same position with my O2 contract just now. Got 6 months left on it, but I was aware this was going to be the case before I even signed up to the contract. I wanted an iPhone so much that I was willing to buy myself out when we left. I've gone down to the lowest iPhone tariff of £30/month now and will be paying it off next month.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:13 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Perksy, I love you!!! Consider the direct debit cancelled!!!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:15 pm
Living the dream!

We're spending roughly £35 each on our phones a month with the package we're on; did you reduce the package to the basic one but still have to pay that until the contract terminates??
Yes!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Well I like the idera of paying my bill and they can stick the rest, good on you perksy!

I think I'll go pay the rep a visit who told me there was no problem getting out of the contract before we renewed; we live in a small town so lets see how he gets out of it.

Any other ideas? I don't mind paying a fee but £500 is a lot of money for nothing.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:03 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Perksy, I love you!!! Consider the direct debit cancelled!!!
Aww shucks
Old Jul 21st 2009, 5:52 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by perksy
We had 10 phones on one account with them (used for work and business) with over a year left on the contracts we rang them the day before we left and told them we would pay up to the latest balance and no more. They agreed after I pointed out I could pay nothing and they could send the bill to an unoccupied property instead.

Sounds like a plan to me offer to give back the hand sets also as a gesture as you do seem to be only just into long term contracts so I,m sure you have decent phones that only came with those longer 24mth contracts they offer.

Better they get 1 month than none

Dougie
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

But didnt you sign the contract and read the fine print? I am sure that in business you would hate it if someone had a contract with you and then broke it on a whim. Pay up and look big and put it down to experience that you wont do it again. You never know when you may need your UK credit rating!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Same thing happened to me and the OH. We had to pay off till the end of the contract.

Now we are both on pay as you go, wont ever get a phone contract again. Luckily I am not phone mad, I have a really cheap old phone - it makes a calls and sends texts, thats enough for me.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:33 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

Phone them up ask for your phone to be unlocked - may take a few weeks for this to happen, once unlocked you can cancel the direct debit and still use the phone, they will chase you at your address in the UK.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

We were 3 months into our upgrade when we moved out. Advised them we were moving, asked for the unlock codes, asked for an uptodate bill, paid that at a local orange outlet and handed them a letter advising we were cancelling the contract and gave them a pay as you go number. Never said anything and never called us.

J
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:25 pm
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by quoll
But didnt you sign the contract and read the fine print? I am sure that in business you would hate it if someone had a contract with you and then broke it on a whim. Pay up and look big and put it down to experience that you wont do it again. You never know when you may need your UK credit rating!
I did sign a contract, however they cancelled it at my request so my UK credit rating is as good as it ever was, and they never asked for the phones back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.