Fossicking!

Old May 7th 2010, 10:07 pm
Living in the mountains

earlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to all
Default Re: Fossicking!

This article may be of help.
http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_ho...esluething.asp
I did a search for the Fossicker's Way on Google.
I live in Armidale. Not aware of any places around here though the little area of Rocky River near Uralla was part of the gold rush in the 1800's.
Old May 13th 2010, 12:02 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by donna
its Nicole and Pete that run it ,gr8 couple,even have a little shower onsite
Sounds good Donna. Sadly we didn't make it up after all cos life got in the way...it's def on our list tho!

Originally Posted by mr mover

No , if he wants a decent Detector, you would have to pay $ 1500 -$2000 other wise the rest are toys ...get serious ....mm
Hmmm baby on the way....think the boys toys will need to take a back seat for time being at those prices!

Originally Posted by verystormy
Just make sure you follow the legal requirements. Mining companies can get pretty upset with you going on their ground without approval.
Yup the place we went in Nundle gave us a printout of all the legal apsects. Don't want to get into bother for a $5 bit of gold or stone!

Originally Posted by CosmicBertie
If you get down to Victoria, goto Ballarat. Theres an attraction there, which I cant remember its name now, where they've recreated and old mining town, a bit like the Wild West.

They have a purpose built stream for gold-panning, and I believe that they 'seed' the stream too so the kids can find small gold nuggets. Lots of fun.
Sounds good, cheers, another for the list!

Originally Posted by earlybird
I live in Armidale. Not aware of any places around here though the little area of Rocky River near Uralla was part of the gold rush in the 1800's.
Thanks for that. Inverell has been mentioned a couple of times, as soon as we get some time out I think that's where we'll be headed first.
We were in Armidale a couple of weeks ago but didn't stay, weather awful so we just kept on driving after quick stop for lunch, also was Anzac day so everything shut except one cafe, shame as looked so pretty especially as the leaves starting to turn. Will def go back. Looks like lovely place to live too.
Old May 13th 2010, 12:14 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CosmicBertie
If you get down to Victoria, goto Ballarat. Theres an attraction there, which I cant remember its name now, where they've recreated and old mining town, a bit like the Wild West.

They have a purpose built stream for gold-panning, and I believe that they 'seed' the stream too so the kids can find small gold nuggets. Lots of fun.
Sovereign Hill is the name of the recreated gold mining town in ballarat, its one of the main tourist attractions in the state and well worth visiting.
Fossicking with a metal detector is popular in the central Victorian goldfeilds region north of Melbourne, Ballarat, Castlemaine, Avoca, Dunnolly area which had one of the biggest gold rushes in the world in the 1850s.
Much of it is state forest not private land so you are allowed to fossick on it if you pay a small fee for a licence, some guy in the 1980's found a huge gold nugget worth millions with a metal detector, many people do it as a hobby and find small gold nuggets all the time, but its not easy alot of the time you get false signals and just dig up rubbish.

Last edited by mohogony; May 13th 2010 at 12:17 am.
Old May 13th 2010, 12:20 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PamE
Sounds good Donna. Sadly we didn't make it up after all cos life got in the way...it's def on our list tho!

Hmmm baby on the way....think the boys toys will need to take a back seat for time being at those prices!

Yup the place we went in Nundle gave us a printout of all the legal apsects. Don't want to get into bother for a $5 bit of gold or stone!

Sounds good, cheers, another for the list!

Thanks for that. Inverell has been mentioned a couple of times, as soon as we get some time out I think that's where we'll be headed first.
We were in Armidale a couple of weeks ago but didn't stay, weather awful so we just kept on driving after quick stop for lunch, also was Anzac day so everything shut except one cafe, shame as looked so pretty especially as the leaves starting to turn. Will def go back. Looks like lovely place to live too.
What Mr mover said about needing a decent detector worth $1,000 plus is correct if you want to find gold, if you get a cheap one you it will just dectect metal rubish all the time not gold,
A good idea is to rent one from a propecting shop for a couple of weeks and they should also give you a free lesson on how to use it properly or you could buy a second hand one. A good idea is to use your metal dector over old dirt mounds where they have dumped the dirt they dug out of underground mining shafts often there are small gold nuggets there, but you also have to be very careful becasue often ther are underground mine shafts around that you can fall into.

Last edited by mohogony; May 13th 2010 at 12:25 am.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:43 am

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mohogony
What Mr mover said about needing a decent detector worth $1,000 plus is correct if you want to find gold, if you get a cheap one you it will just dectect metal rubish all the time not gold,
A good idea is to rent one from a propecting shop for a couple of weeks and they should also give you a free lesson on how to use it properly or you could buy a second hand one. A good idea is to use your metal dector over old dirt mounds where they have dumped the dirt they dug out of underground mining shafts often there are small gold nuggets there, but you also have to be very careful becasue often ther are underground mine shafts around that you can fall into.
Sounds like excellent advice Mohogony, I will pass it on to my husband. Thanks!
Old May 13th 2010, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

BayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud of

I lived in Armidale for over 20 years, not a bad spot

I know nothing about fossicking for gold but I do know a little about sapphires.

If you're lucky you can find sapphires down the big hill (don't ask me exactly where it is because I can't remember). They are very few and far between but they are there.

Inverell isn't a bad starting point but all the stones are cornflour blue and there is so much more to sapphires than blue stones. When you are fossicking you arn't looking for a blue stone, a blue sapphire is more likely to look black as it lays on the ground and it's not until you pick it up and hold it to the sunlight that you can see the colour through it.

We lived in Rubyvale in central Qld for a while and the best time to do a bit of real fossicking is after a good downpour of rain, the ground has been washed and if you have the eye for it the stones just jump out at you. Once your hooked your hooked
Old May 13th 2010, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by BayWhale

I know nothing about fossicking for gold but I do know a little about sapphires.

If you're lucky you can find sapphires down the big hill (don't ask me exactly where it is because I can't remember). They are very few and far between but they are there.

Inverell isn't a bad starting point but all the stones are cornflour blue and there is so much more to sapphires than blue stones. When you are fossicking you arn't looking for a blue stone, a blue sapphire is more likely to look black as it lays on the ground and it's not until you pick it up and hold it to the sunlight that you can see the colour through it.

We lived in Rubyvale in central Qld for a while and the best time to do a bit of real fossicking is after a good downpour of rain, the ground has been washed and if you have the eye for it the stones just jump out at you. Once your hooked your hooked
Ooo more good advice, thank you BayWhale - I will inform OH forthwith!
Old May 13th 2010, 5:31 am
Living in the mountains

earlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BayWhale

The ANZAC weekend was a bit dire. The colours are lovely though at the end of their best now. Get's quite cold up here especially overnight when you get the severe frosts.

Armidale is a good spot. Quite a cosmopolitan town for its size.

The Big Hill is on the Armidale-Kempsey Road. A bit of a dog track in places. Dirt most of the way but beautiful scenery.
Old May 13th 2010, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

BayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud of

The ANZAC weekend was a bit dire. The colours are lovely though at the end of their best now. Get's quite cold up here especially overnight when you get the severe frosts.

The Big Hill is on the Armidale-Kempsey Road. A bit of a dog track in places. Dirt most of the way but beautiful scenery.
Thanks for jogging my memory earlybird

My kids grew up in Armidale and I would say it was as good or even better than most places.

We left there in 1986 and I don't think the population has changed much since then.

The autumn colours are lovely but it gets too cold down there for me these days. I haven't been back for a long time.
Old May 13th 2010, 8:27 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been there, my dumb ass SIL told us that the quickest way back to their place in Tenterfield from Kempsey was via that road. It took us about 4 hours to drive through to Armidale. We were frequently down to 1st gear in the low range crawling over landslides & rockfalls that had partially blocked the single track Wasn't until we got to the Armidale side that we were told the road was impassable due to landslips & torrential rain
Old May 13th 2010, 10:48 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

My OH certainly believes there's gold in these here NSW hills. Bless!

And he's right! (probably)

Do you know they still haven't recovered Ben Hall's loot from all his highway robberies? It's worth more than a million by today's standards.
Try the Weddin Mountains, 4.5 hour drive from Sydney, outside Grenfell, which is where Ben buried his loot. Not officially fossicking, but still a fun trip and the mts are beautiful.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; May 13th 2010 at 11:02 pm.
Old May 19th 2010, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
And he's right! (probably)

Do you know they still haven't recovered Ben Hall's loot from all his highway robberies? It's worth more than a million by today's standards.
Try the Weddin Mountains, 4.5 hour drive from Sydney, outside Grenfell, which is where Ben buried his loot. Not officially fossicking, but still a fun trip and the mts are beautiful.
Thanks TP
Old May 12th 2011, 8:01 am

Resurrecting an old thread to say thanks to those who recommended Inverell and Glen Innes. We finally got over here and went fossicking at Frazer's Creek outside Inverell last week - found lots of stones including some sapphires, too exciting!! OH also went fossicking in Glen Innes, with some small luck. Now we're back in Nundle, this time staying a few days rather than just a day trip. Bloody cold but great cabin by the river, lots of sun and OH is in his element having borrowed lots of equipment from the nice people at the tourist park. Gold has been struck!! Well, substancially less than a gram lol but he's happy and I'm enjoying village life - hot chocs in the cafe, chatting with locals, crisp walks with the baby, went up to the quilt barn this afternoon...all good, def recommend New England for Autumn hols - cold but stunning!
Old May 13th 2011, 2:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

That be fools gold!

Just to be sure can you give me the GPS coordinates so I can check?
Old May 13th 2011, 5:45 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Resurrecting an old thread to say thanks to those who recommended Inverell and Glen Innes. We finally got over here and went fossicking at Frazer's Creek outside Inverell last week - found lots of stones including some sapphires, too exciting!! OH also went fossicking in Glen Innes, with some small luck. Now we're back in Nundle, this time staying a few days rather than just a day trip. Bloody cold but great cabin by the river, lots of sun and OH is in his element having borrowed lots of equipment from the nice people at the tourist park. Gold has been struck!! Well, substancially less than a gram lol but he's happy and I'm enjoying village life - hot chocs in the cafe, chatting with locals, crisp walks with the baby, went up to the quilt barn this afternoon...all good, def recommend New England for Autumn hols - cold but stunning!
Sounds lovely. I'll put that on my list of things to do with my kids.